Close

FEP Member

Default Supercoupe in the 81? Any special considerations?

Ok, I waiting to hear back on a definite answer on this, but I have the line on a complete supercoupe motor with AOD trans, wiring harness, and ECM for $550. If my buddy passes on it, it is mine.

Anyhow, are there any special considerations I need to keep in mind as far as mounting this thing in my 81 hatch?

Keep in mind, the car is a complete shell right now. There will be no heat, no ac. The fuel system and brake system will be completely new since I pulled them both out of the car already. It was a 4 cyl manual car before...

Will I need to get a new k-member?

Quote Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
    Ok, I waiting to hear back on a definite answer on this, but I have the line on a complete supercoupe motor with AOD trans, wiring harness, and ECM for $550. If my buddy passes on it, it is mine.

Anyhow, are there any special considerations I need to keep in mind as far as mounting this thing in my 81 hatch?

Keep in mind, the car is a complete shell right now. There will be no heat, no ac. The fuel system and brake system will be completely new since I pulled them both out of the car already. It was a 4 cyl manual car before...

Will I need to get a new k-member?

This will not be just an easy bolt-in. You Will have to make it up as you go along. Good luck and post up some pics.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    This will not be just an easy bolt-in. You Will have to make it up as you go along. Good luck and post up some pics.
    What will be some of the obstacles that I should expect? I was all set to put a 5.0 I found a shortblock for $80 with a cam motions cam in it...or a 351 longblock I found for $120. But I figured I Would get the 6er and the 351. Put the 6er in, get the car in primer and some seats in it and a dash and use it as my DD while I built the 351 up.

You will need new motor mounts and you may wanna see if the oil pan will clear the K member. I don't know if Ford used a different oil pan for the MN12 platform compared to the Fox body or what.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

Quote Originally Posted by Ford'sCapri View Post
    You will need new motor mounts and you may wanna see if the oil pan will clear the K member. I don't know if Ford used a different oil pan for the MN12 platform compared to the Fox body or what.
    X2

Unless you rig up an aftermarket intercooler, you may have some issues with cooler tube length/placement. You should be able to run factory manifolds with some custom exhaust. IIRC, the only headers available for the SC are outrageously pricey or maybe not available. My buddy has an SC... He got his manifolds ported and coated for reasonable. With janked together crush bent exhaust it pulled something like 300 lb-ft of torque solid from 3k - 6k or whatever the limiter was...

They're pretty stout with just a pulley and some good exhaust.
    1981 Capri-Black magic-5.0/SROD/8.8
    1993 Mustang LX -2.3/T-5/7.5
    1988 Thunderbird TC - 2.3T/T5/8.8
    1975 F-150 4x4 -5.8EFI/M5OD/NP205/9"

i would try a search for it first off, there is a guy that was at the NW BBQ last year that did the swap into a hatch.. i would look him up on here
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

FEP Member

I did some preliminary searching, but have not turned up much so I posted this thread. I'll try searching a bit more later, but one thing about vBulletin that sucks is its search capabilities at times.

FEP Member

Ok, according to this thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=supercoupe The motor just drops right in and the electrical is the only PITA. Well, I have no electrical in the car, so that will all be from scratch anyhow. Not to mention, the motor comes with wiring harness and ECU.

It's sounding like it isn't a major project per se. But, then again, I've only found 1 thread with any kind of vague info in it. Still haven't found the guy that did it, but still looking.

FEP Member

Can anyone email me or post up the full size version of this image? http://picasaweb.google.com/snake818...28373765862226

Reason I ask is I can get the thumbnail, and then the initial resized thumbnail when you click on it...but the full res image just ends up blank for me. Also, who owns that car? It doesn't give any insight as to the owner, just a pic of the engine in the car....

Do a compression/leakdown test before you buy the motor. Those 3.8's love to eat head gaskets. I had to do 2 of them on the Supercoupe I owned.

FEP Member

I expect to refresh this motor before installing it into the car since if I go this route, it will be the final destination for the car. So I might as well make sure everything is fresh and ready to go.

And ok, I found the FEP user who had the car last year...twistin is his user ID I believe.

FEP Super Member

As stated above, the only major considerations are the motor mounts, the intercooler tubing, and the wiring. Since you are redoing the wiring anyway, no worries. Motor mounts are your normal V6 mounts, also a no-brainer, and fabbing up a front mount intercooler set-up is also a no-issue. Go for it....if it makes you feel better, I was going to do it to my 83 GLX vert (originally a V6/auto car) but decided not to as it was to become my girlfriends ride (giving a monkey a loaded gun just didn't sound like a good idea after a short thought on that motor swap subject....................she has never driven a RWD car).
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

FEP Member

The idea of a pair of ported eatons sitting in the driveway is really tempting. My buddy did back off this motor for his 04 V6 finally, so I believe I am going to pick it up this weekend.

And yeah, my car is a complete shell right now. Now electrical, no fuel lines, no brake lines, no nothing. Pretty much everything is going to be re-run new. I think the plans of the SN95 dash swap will also help matters out some as well...but we shall see on that. The only negative to this swap is it will be going from a 5 speed car to an auto.

FEP Super Member

Why auto? Grab the T5 behind any newer (SN95) V6 and go stick. The computer can be fooled into thinking that it is still an auto by repinning and some wire elimination (so I have heard anyway).
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

FEP Member

The only reason I Say it will be an auto is because the 550 deal for this motor includes the trans....I'm trying to keep it budget and not sure I want to go buy a new trans right now.

The turbo I4 I found in ohio includes the T5 for the same 500 offer I made him (should have posted my other thread before I offered as now he won't come down to what it has been claimed to be worth). The problem is, it's in ohio and shipping sucks.

The goal is to get this car running this year for under 2k if possible so I can park my 03 during the week and start working on some of the new plans for it.

Well, I'm going to a mustang yard this weekend, so I may see what he has for sale in the way of a t5. He has a 351 long block for $100-150 that I am also going to look at just because of the price.

Ugh, I need to just make up my damn mind on a motor for this thing.

this motor has been done in a sn94 'stang, and as long as you get ALL the electrics you will be fine use the sixer motor mounts and route the computer to same place as in the later cars (right side kicker panel). I will be doing a swap into an '84 fox and it looks pretty straight forward
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
    Why auto? Grab the T5 behind any newer (SN95) V6 and go stick. The computer can be fooled into thinking that it is still an auto by repinning and some wire elimination (so I have heard anyway).
    a boosted car maintains boost level with an auto because the blower will be operating at a constant output( ie constant high power level) not up-and-down as in a shifter car
    and short tubes (headers) are the way to go
    Last edited by plstktnkr2; 07-09-2008 at 09:39 PM.
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

The fuel system would be my biggest concern since the swap has been done in Foxes before...but nothing as early as the 79-81 with the odd fuel tank shape that only came in carb.

You either go the route of making a later EFI tank fit(83-86 if you want the gauge to work at least I think the resistances are the same), or running an inline pump and running a return line back from the engine to the tank.
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Member

Anything fuel wise is possible. The tank is currently sitting on my back patio and I had plans of replacing the pump for whatever motor setup I went with anyhow. I could look at a later tank if need be...

FEP Member

Try looking over at v6power.net Have not been there in awhile, but you should find several people over there that have already done it.

Try pm'ing twisten, he was on recently. His car was really cool with the souper coupe motor up front, cobra IRS out back and cobra brakes on all corners. It was well behaved on the drive when I was following him, but you could here that thing wind up! He said the hardest part of the swap the wiring.....
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by SchoolBoy View Post
    Try pm'ing twisten, he was on recently. His car was really cool with the souper coupe motor up front, cobra IRS out back and cobra brakes on all corners. It was well behaved on the drive when I was following him, but you could here that thing wind up! He said the hardest part of the swap the wiring.....
    Yeah, I PM'ed him a couple days ago. Just waiting for a response.

PM'd you.
    dragt@shaw.ca
    gas tank will req. new style,with old sending unit.
    mine works backwards,full is empty! boy did the wife get mad
    at me for that one. lol
    Last edited by twistin; 07-21-2008 at 03:02 AM.

I had a supercoupe with the 5 sp...PITA to work on! All that tubing an stuff made doing anything a royal pain. I believe the xmission they used for those was a truck xmission to handle the massive torque they made. Good luck hope you like it.