Close

Thread: Hey Capri fans!

Default Hey Capri fans!

I purchased my Capri GS 5.0 new in 1985. It has a 1984 RS hood scoop. Any suggestions on fixing the door rust. Better to try and find new doors or have a body shop repair?

The bottom of the driver side door is rusting through.

Here is a pic I uploaded:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/photoPos...o=8937&cat=507

Bob

Welcome to FEP, and nice capri, where are you located.

Without having pics of the rust its hard to tell, but I would think you can fix them...
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Hi Schoolboy, located in Eastern Pennsylvania. The rust is getting pretty bad bottom of the door(s). I hate to see my baby rust'n The body shop said they can cut out the rust and weld new metal. Same shop that stripped and repainted it years back. Thanks for the Welcome and compliment! Nice to find a board of Capri enthusiasts. Bob

welcome to the site.Its hard to find rust free doors here in Pa. Your best bet would be to have the shop fix them for you. where in eastern Pa. are you I Live near Allentown
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Thanks 83rsturbo. I live near Quakertown. I keep the car in the the garage and don't drive it much. I figure probably cost as much to rebuild and paint replacement doors anyway even if they were rust free. It's time to call the body shop before the bottom of the door falls off. So sad to see rust when I keep in such good shape. Maybe the body shop can do some type of under coat this time around to help keep from rusting. Bob

Welcome glad you found us.
    That'S great another original owner on board. There is lots of great info on this site.
    Your Capri looks really nice. But actually its a RS.
    what other info do you have on it ?

Thanks fredzilla! I bought it new in 85 and it really is a GS At least that is how Ford sold it. The hood and scoop were replaced so that is why it looks like an 84 RS. It's all original equipment sort of... I had the engine replaced with a factory new years back. In my younger years used to run it and it was time for an engine replacement. Has Flowmaster exhaust and is K&N filter charged. It has the roller cam, is a 5 speed manual transmission, mini headers, a holly four barrel carb, power windows, cruise control, something Ford called quad shocks. It is a fully factory loaded GS or some would say an 5.0L/RS in disguise. It's a 302 Capri from the factory that rips without any real mods.

Does it say GS on the hatch. ?
    Alot of 85 RS were labled with aGS emblem on the hatch. But you car is built with all the RS features. Sport seats, air dam with fog light ect. Look at the buck tag on radiator support see if it has CRS stamped on it.

It does say Capri GS on the hatch. I will have to check the buck tag and get back. Ford actually did offer the Capri GS with these options. Factory info posted on this board describes the change over and options available. I will let you know the buck tag. Bob

85 was a weird year and it appears that Ford really confused things with the GS nomenclature back then.

Later they did break it back out and that car would be called a Capri 5.0L.

On the doors, look for good replacements. You should be able to find some out there and swap over all your innards over.

-Mike

Here is a nice clean original GS 5.0L

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/photoPos...96&ppuser=5859

Notice the different seats, air damn, chrome grill.

Any suggestions where to look for doors Mike?

I looked for the 'buck' tag but not sure where to look. Don't see any tag on the radiator support.

My car was manufactured 06/85 and was sold as a GS. Apparently Ford made available the RS sports package essentially as an option for a GS.

Six in one half dozen I suppose. Frankly I like my air damn, seats and grill better then the vanilla GS

Maybe when I get it repainted I'll replace the GS emblem with RS on the back

Bob

The devil is in the details. Since my Capri was manufactured in 06/85 I believe Mike is correct. This link describes my car exactly as per the options it has for a 1985 model. It's called Capri5.0L standard equipment over GS:

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...ctsBook_06.jpg

Ford also describes a 1984 Capri RS standard equipment over GS:

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...ctsBook_06.jpg

The 1984 Capri RS standard equipment over GS info says there are decals in particular places that say RS.

My Capri does have a 1984 Capri RS hood scoop though

Bob

Exclamation

OK, Let's confuse this even more. I had bought new a 84 RS 5.0,white paint/silver and orange accent stripe, biege interior with the halo seats, A/C, TRX and stereo. No scoop, but did have the RS decals.

Down the street was a one owner 84 GS 5.0, Black/black/black with halo seats, A/C, NO TRX and it had the same stereo. It had a hood scoop but didn't have the RS decals. Both were built in the same month and year.

I think that there were way too few Capris coming down the line at the Dearborn Mustang factory for the UAW to keep up with all the variations. And consequently there was some confusion as to what to put on a particular car once it got to the trim stage on the assembly line. Never mind what the buck tag said. Either that or it was some sort of joke amoung the employees...
    1984 Capri RS 5.0 (deceased)
    1994 F-150
    2001 Mustang Bullitt
    2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser (son's ride)
    2008 Mazda Tribute

Maybe on the assembly line the GS emblem was put on the back hatch prior to the sports package being installed. The GS emblem guy didn't know what the car 'was' going to be end of the line. So when the GS reached the line for sports package sometimes people would notice and say oops this one was supposed to be a Capri 5.0L or a Capri RS. No RS stickers for this one. So quite possible assembly line folks were just plain confused. In particular since it appears Ford decided to finally call the Capri GS w/sports package (which was an option) the Capri 5.0L. Truth is Ford actually stole part of the RS sports package for the new Capri 5.0L line. As you say people simply didn't know what the heck they were building at that point. One thing is for sure. If you have a Capri GS 5.0 w/sports package it's the RS sport package parts one uses for restoration. Bottom line if it says GS on the back and has the sports package it's a RS/GS or a Capri 5.0L. If you have RS decals then it's an RS. If like my Capri where you have installed a 84 RS hood scoop and it says GS on the back with manufacturer date in 1985 then you have a RS/GS/Capri5.0L. Guess I'll have to add the RS decals now to my Capri with GS on the back hatch. At least those assembly line folks didn't make the mistake of putting mustang trim and sports package parts on Capri's. Probably the only reason that didn't happen is they just wouldn't fit. But if they did no doubt we would have RS/GS/Capri5.0L/Mustangs from the factory. The guy down the street without the hood scoop and the RS package in 84 was due to assembly line shortages so he got the GS hood

I meant your 1984 Capri RS got the GS hood. The other guy got the RS hood because it really is an RS (built in 1984) but the emblem guys had noticed GS was already on the back so no RS stickers for that one!

Quote Originally Posted by jonas1022 View Post
    Down the street was a one owner 84 GS 5.0, Black/black/black with halo seats, A/C, NO TRX and it had the same stereo. It had a hood scoop but didn't have the RS decals.
    The halo seats were optional on the 84 GS cars.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...or_book_07.jpg

Not sure on the hood scoop. The TRX tires do sound like they were omitted. 84 was a weird year too.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by captnet View Post
    At least those assembly line folks didn't make the mistake of putting mustang trim and sports package parts on Capri's. Probably the only reason that didn't happen is they just wouldn't fit. But if they did no doubt we would have RS/GS/Capri5.0L/Mustangs from the factory.
    You haven't seen Mexican Mustangs then have you?

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    You haven't seen Mexican Mustangs then have you?
    I checked my buck tag and it says MUSA. Must have been those illegals working at the Dearborn plant.

how much are they charging to fix your door
    "Dont do the crime if you cant do the time" --in other words no aero swaps
    84 mustang gt vert
    91 mustang lx 4cyl. vert driver
    81coupe/351w/turbo coupe8.8/c-4 tranny sold

93 -4cyl lx (frankenstang) work car -sold
    88 turbo-coupe sold

Quote Originally Posted by captnet View Post
    I checked my buck tag and it says MUSA. Must have been those illegals working at the Dearborn plant.
    Seriously, Mustangs sold in Mexico were half Mustang and Half Capri. Do a search here and you'll see what I mean.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 81 pony View Post
    I need to get a quote. I will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Seriously, Mustangs sold in Mexico were half Mustang and Half Capri. Do a search here and you'll see what I mean.

-Mike
    No kidding. Those Mexicans really got whatever was coming down the assembly line!

Quote Originally Posted by 81 pony View Post
    Doors getting replaced
    Last edited by captnet; 10-13-2007 at 05:53 PM.