Close

Default Newbie in Vancouver,WA 84 RS Turbo - bone stock

New member - WOW! I had no idea ya'all were out here. I am learning SO much from this site.

Here is my 4 eye - 84 RS Turbo - 100% original, zero rust (no salt in WA/OR), even has original exhaust. It needs paint real bad, however, I'm concerned about getting OEM decals to replace.

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...hp?pic_id=7216

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...hp?pic_id=7217

It was kept indoors mostly but last few years spent a lot of time parked at the airport in open sunlight.

Driver's seat is worn out (109k miles), rear hatch interior panels are scratched/faded, headliner is shot, and tires are worn out.

I'm toying with the following ideas:

1) complete OEM perfection restore
    2) restore exterior only to original (very cool) but..... T5, engine refresh, roller cam, Stinger intercooler, more boost, BOV, wheels/tires (other than TRX), 8.8, 4 wheel disc, suspension upgrades, switch interior over to charcoal gray from donor car (not crazy about red) - go racin' for fun (x-cross, drags)
    3) sell as is and buy 86 5.0 or an SVO

Any ideas/thoughts are welcome.
    86 SVO 2R (Jalapeno Red) - E85 Corner Carver

Welcome to the site. I think doing a full resto would be a good idea since a lot of people, including myself, have never seen a Turbo RS. Just my $.02.

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

No way man, don't sell it, KEEP this car. It is a 1984 CHARCOAL TURBO RS edition. VERY VERY RARE.

They made a SCANT 381 of these cars! They made like a BILLION SVOs! (ok ok like 10k svos but still you get the idea)

I would restore it to OEM. You just don't see 100% all original cars anymore.

Whatever you do KEEP it!

-Mike

Restore it! And if you need something to get you going, come see dad and I, and we'll show you are cars......Nelson
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Blog Entries

I vote restore, or restore with some well-hidden tweaks. Mine is too hacked to bits and wasted away far too long to make a good resto candidate, but it will certainly ALWAYS remain a Turbo RS Capri.

Your car looks so cool. Makes me want to put one of our sets of TRXes on the thing for the heck of it.

I live in AZ, and had to have one shipped to me from GA. I still have NEVER seen another one. The 83-84 Turbo RS is one of the rarest Foxes, period. Ignorance and attrition have taken their toll, and there's only a fraction of them left.

(psst...negusm...the 381 number is only the production for 1983, but yeah, they're still rare)

Thanks for the input.

only 380 made?? Holy cow - I didn't know. I read somewhere else (I think it was turboford.net) that there were over 1300 made this year. Where can I confirm for sure?

If I do OEM restore, I am really concerned about a repaint:
    1) it will technically no longer be "original"
    2) will the value of the car increase as much as the cost of GOOD paint job? (I can do nuts, bolts, and electrical myself but I am NOT a paint/body guy)
    3) getting decals

Is there anything I can do to significantly improve engine performance and still maintain "original" status? (bleed valve, BOV etc)

Whoops...~1200 84 RS Turbos then. Still rare.

I was going by a list Sandy made up and he had that typo.

-Mike

Blog Entries

I hate to say it, but don't even consider the value of the car. There is no value attached to these cars, except by us few who adore them and pursue them.

Rare doesn't always mean desirable, and if it's not desirable, it's not valuable, really. Rule of thumb: Capris never pull the cash that Mustangs do. Turbo fours (SVOs excepted), never pull the cash that V8s do. Put a four cylinder and Capri together, no one even knows what they are, let alone that they're rare, and most people, unfortunately, just don't care. And that's why of the few built, there's disproportionately fewer left. The cars never had a following to speak of.

You will never get out of the car what you'll put into it. It's not investment grade material.

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo
    Thanks for the input.

only 380 made?? Holy cow - I didn't know. I read somewhere else (I think it was turboford.net) that there were over 1300 made this year. Where can I confirm for sure?
    Sorry....your 1300 is close...more like 1200. That is still extremely rare.

If I do OEM restore, I am really concerned about a repaint:
    1) it will technically no longer be "original"
    2) will the value of the car increase as much as the cost of GOOD paint job? (I can do nuts, bolts, and electrical myself but I am NOT a paint/body guy)
    3) getting decals

Is there anything I can do to significantly improve engine performance and still maintain "original" status? (bleed valve, BOV etc)
    1) Crappy original paint is not considered more valuable than a good quality new paint job. Don't sweat losing the "original" paint.

2) Like the SOul Eater said, if you start worrying about MONETARY VALUE then you are in the wrong hobby. However, a good QUALITY paint job WILL generally elevate a car's worth more than anything else you can do.

3). Contact Graphix Express or Kyle on this board who has been reproducing some stuff with his decal business. (Phoenix Graphics may have some too). You may have to call them if it's not on their web site.

Engine: Talk to people with SVOs or Turbo 4 cars. They can give you tips on hidden HP.

As a Turbo Gt owner and a SVO owner I say hold on to it. Do the restor items that make you happy. Take your time, let people know what you have. Either over time youll have a HOT rare car or find a true enthusiast who may give you what its worth.

In a nut shell make it a labor of love. Take your time restore to stock and Ill bet no one else in your area will have one. They are like driving time machines, Hell grow a mullit, put your RATT casassette in and cruz like back in the day.
    84 SVO (#152) Slapper
    84 GT Turbo (T-Tops)

i found another junkyard local that has a turbo rs, t-tops none the less, but has been raped and is now useless.

on the dash were it would normaly say "capri", it has the outline of the word "mexico" in the capri letter style. bizzare

/end off topic response. just wrote this because of the talking about turbo rs's.
    '85 Capri RS - sold
    '08 Colorado - thank Christ its gone.
    '98 Cherokee - Current broken DD
    '00 Mustang GT Vert - sold.

"The most compelling reason for you to own a
    Capri is no reason that can be put into words.
    Call it a touch of sexiness. Or a touch of mystery.
    Or perhaps a touch of magic."

Thanks everyone - ya'all helped me tip the scales of indecision. (paper or plastic...hmmm?). I really appreciate all the feedback.

Based on what I've seen here, I think I'll definitely restore to OEM. I'll be in the classifieds lookin' for a nicer driver seat and headliner (can't find a new one with the sunroof opening).

I'll also be picking up a set of those gold plated TRX tires for shows, however, I think I may also pick up an extra set of 16" wheels/tires for an occasional autocross or Wednesday night show-n-go@ the dragstrip. Like the saying goes, "REAL hot rods have rock chips"

Welcome aboard.

Yeah, restore it. I don't think a few well-conceived engine mods would be out of order, though.
    Lee
    '79 Mustang Ghia 5.0 notch

Welcome aboard. If you need help with anything contct

Jeff Dann

Bishop Sales in Vancouver BC
    604-984-3673

Tell him I sent you, he has so many hook ups in the industry

www.bishopsales.com
    1983 GT(to many mods to list)
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/607351

Restore the interior but modify the drivetrain.

A 5 speed and an intercooler will make the car funner, therfore more likely for you to spend more cash/time on it. Its a vicious cycle, but one that you won't mind too much.
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"

FEP Supporter

North of Seattle, near the "Four-Eye-Field-of-Dreams"

Laredo, Welcome aboard FEP. I sure hope you lean toward the oem restore thing. Stealthy performance mods are cool. Send me a PM with your full name and contact number so I can put you on my list of invitees for the next four-eye BBQ at the end of the summer. We got to show the So-Cal guys how to do a gathering....

PS, my Capri is bone stock, orginal....

Neil..up in Arlington
    Check out the Northwest "4-Eye" BBQ here >>> WWW.NWFOUREYEBBQ.COM

foureyebbq@hotmail.com (to be put on the BBQ list )

Lots of pics of my ride for your viewing pleasure....
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052657/1

Hello there Laredo, I live in Battle Ground. Nice capri you got there.
    Good luck and welcome!

I've seen a lot more '84 Mustang Turbos (in the junk yard ) than the Turbo RS. KEEPER! Make your mods if you want but a Turbo Capri is rare even in Southern Cal.

Cheers!

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Another NW four eye....gotta love it!
    Welcome Laredo...
    82 Capri 5.0 RS T-Top.
    Off the show room floor in 82.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."holy ****....what a ride!"