Close

Thread: VIP cars

Default VIP cars

Does anyone know the vins to the VIP convertibles. I think I may have found one. 21000 mile car in Ohio with a retired ford exec. He's the original owner. The only thing wired about the car is that it the anniversary crest painted around the fender emblems. He states it was there when he got the car from Ford. Any one seen this before?

I don't know the VINs. I have tried to contact Scott Moen a few times but no luck.

How high is the VIN? What date is on the door tag? Do you have any pics or tags/sheets (door tag, buck tag, window sticker, build sheet, owner card/tag, etc.) from the car that you can post?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

the last of the vin is 172289. I do not have door tag or buck tag picks yet. He is the original owner. I'm going to buy the car anyway since its so damn nice. Hope I'm not paying to much

That is owned by a member on the 82-93 GT Registry.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

What info do they have listed?

Only info they had listed was the VIN.

I think that is too low of a VIN to be a VIP car. Supposedly the VIP cars were made late in the run so they would have been in the 18XXXX range.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I ran my GT 350 through the decoder and I have an "m" code car which is supposed to mean that I have the carburated 175 HP 5.0 HO when in fact my car is bone stock and has the 165 HP 5.0 with fuel injection. Any explanation for why this apparent contradiction would be?

Yes. Explaination is actually a mutually exlusive one. Be very carefull if you ever tick the automatic option, becasue you could loose could loose up to 45 hp!

Ford didn't always change the VIN code when an alterative engine option was around. Even though one is carb, and the other EFI (even though its just the throttle body injection type), both CFi HO and 4V HO were the same basic M-code engine, with the key spin being that when you asked for the AOD automatic option, you lost 10 hp and got the 165 hp engine with Central Fuel Injection, and the old 2-bbl intake manifold, and the TFI ignition with the EECIV onboard computer, and a modification to the stock exhaust. In 1985, you lost 45 hp when you ticked the automatic option.

Any time you ordered the 1984 Mustang GT350 with T4 4speed or T5 5 speed, you got 175 hp, the M-code engine was the 5.0 4V HO was Duraspark ii, non computer.

They did almost the same with the Y VIN Code 140-cid (2.3-liter) two-barrel SOHC in 79-80, then they called it the A VIN code for 81 ( and Canadian 82's).

When you optioned up the two-barrel turbo version, it was still two-barrel, but it had a W code option elseware. The 132 hp turbo was initally only ever a manual option, so if you wanted an auto, you missed out on the turbo and lost 44 hp. In 1980-1981, four or more C3 automatic turbos were made.

The 1980 M81 McLaren was reputed to have got 132 hp stock at 5200 rpm engine, but it also had a boost controller which moved up on the factory standard 5.5psi, then got something like 175 hp at 7 psi, and 190hp at 12 psi, or whatever. But it was still the same A code engine.

The EPA wasn't a fan of that practice, after 3Mile Island, the EPA forced Ford to comply or shut down there operations if there plants or cars didn't meet operational requirments.

For a lot of engines after 1981, the transmission option then controlled the Emission parts. And it didn't stop then. 8years on, the 145hp 4 speed automatic and 175 hp 5-speed 2.3 liter EFI Turbo engines in the 1987 Thunderbird had the same VIN code, but you lost 30 hp when you ticked the auto option.

As xctasy correctly stated, Ford used the M-code for both 4V and CFI. Any VIN decoder that states the 1984-85 M-code engine is definitely 4V is wrong. You cannot make that distinction from the VIN. The VIN decoder here does not.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    In 1985, you lost 45 hp when you ticked the automatic option.
    There were two HP/torque ratings for the 1985 Capri/Mustang H.O. 5.0L CFI engine. The early 1985 rating was a carryover from 1984...165 HP/245 torque. About 3½ months after 1985 production started - per the revised 1985 Mustang showroom sales brochure, the official date was 11/19/84 - the CFI engine dropped the 1984 style exhaust (cast iron manifolds, single muffler, single tailpipe w/ twin tips) and was afforded the exhaust system from the 1985 4V engine (tubular headers, dual mufflers, dual tailpipes), upping the 1985 CFI engine's power to 180 HP/260 torque.

Any time you ordered the 1984 Mustang GT350 with T4 4speed or T5 5 speed, you got 175 hp, the M-code engine was the 5.0 4V HO was Duraspark ii, non computer.
    I have yet to find a 1984 5.0L Capri/Mustang that came with a 4-speed manual (SROD). The only transmissions that I have seen so far are 5-speed manual (T5) and automatic overdrive (AOD)

They did almost the same with the Y VIN Code 140-cid (2.3-liter) two-barrel SOHC in 79-80, then they called it the A VIN code for 81 ( and Canadian 82's).
    Here are the 1979-86 Carpi/Mustang turbo and non-turbo 2.3L engine codes:
    non-turbo = Y
    turbo = W

non-turbo = A (VIN, buck tag, and build sheet)
    turbo = A (VIN) and T (buck tag and build sheet)

non-turbo = A
    turbo = T

non-turbo = A
    turbo = T

non-turbo = A
    turbo = W (Turbo GT/RS)

non-turbo = A
    turbo = W (Turbo GT/RS) and T (SVO)

non-turbo = A
    turbo = T (SVO)

non-turbo = A
    turbo = T (SVO)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Mic, I'm indebeted to the info offered here. Thanks for that.

For the 16 or so 1984 GT350 VIP owners, you potentially lost 10 hp with any M code auto, and it would have come with the 3.27:1 axle. Those are some cross checks. 175 manual, 165 auto.

The GT350 M code auto option went to the aggressive 3.27:1 axle and the manual was mandatory 5 speed T5. So thats no 4speed manual option. Since the EPA required valid axle codes for each since 1971, there are only the options on the EPA calibration placard, nothing else.

Since this is Convertible VIP GT350 related, and that was an 84 thing, I'll be brief.

1. For 85, thats still a 30 hp loss for the auto's, as it was now 180 hp, up 15 from 165 hp. The manual got a huge 35 hp booster shot in the arm, 210 hp verses 175 hp.

2. The letter codes for 80's and 81's I could never easily get my head around 'em, everything changes so much for 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    ....I have yet to find a 1984 5.0L Capri/Mustang that came with a 4-speed manual (SROD). The only transmissions that I have seen so far are 5-speed manual (T5) and automatic overdrive (AOD)....
    Fairly conclusive info! Thanks.

Again, not really GT350 related, but one guy over here in New Zealand has a Four speed T5 1985 he races. I think its legit. Its always listed as a four speed T5. It's probably a T5 rebuilt as the four speed T4.

3. As you've noted before, in the 1981 in line six cylinder 3.3 Mustang and Capris (and some AMC's from other internet info) had a four speed non world class T4 Borg Warner option for one year. It may have been a 2.3 option too, but the codes are a little bit complicated.

It was a one year only SROD replacement for I6 engines (AMC used Ford inventory gearboxes for many years).

The T5 Borg Warner option became an official option on US cars since 1981,
    the AMC Concord was the first to get it,
    then Datsun 280ZX Turbo,
    and then as an option on the 83 5.0. (first 4-bbl Mustang since 1973!).
    then the return of the US 2.3 Turbo Mustang/Capri in 1983.

The T5 was a T4 based gearbox, which had a Ford style case, and it was first born as a four speed, then Borg Warner added the overdriven 5th.

So I guess since the CAFE Highway milage was listed with the engine option...its not likely that there was ever a base 4speed code with a T5 code but without the overdrive?

Here is an 85 non 5 speed T5. No numbers, but its a factory 5.0 raced down here in New Zealand. Its always been listed as a 4 speed T5.

http://www.productionmusclecar.co.nz...ton%282%29.pdf