Close

Default Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

So what do you think about these? Came across one in like new condition inside and out. 85 model like I like. Over 150k on the odometer though. Still seems like a strong motor. Are those 4 cylinders are to got parts for?

I have a 2.3t in my garage with over 230k miles on it and doesn't use oil or smoke. There are tons of parts available and a very supportive aftermarket for the 2.3t.
    83 GT Turbo

they're very good engines. parts for them are easily found and cheap. also, with some work, you could be making some v-8 boys scratch their heads in disbelief.i say get it, if the price is right.
    79 302 cobra project

Parts are plentiful and the 2.3 turbo shortblock is nearly indestructable. I say go for it.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

FEP Super Member

I have an 86 in the drive way ....still runs like a top , and will boost 18 pounds all day , and get 32 miles to the gallon at 80
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I've got an '88 and it is a big car with a squishy ride but it will go like hell when you want it to.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

I had an 88 TC, it was a great daily driver. I averaged 26mpg, and it had decent power being completely stock. I regret selling it actually. I've owned several cars/trucks with the 2.3l and they are a durable little engine and cheap to fix.
    86 LX coupe, the other house payment
    85 ltd wagon, the surfwagon

It looks pretty good for over 150k.

I decided to take it for a test drive and I'm gonna do\say something I didn't think I would...

JEEP FOR SALE
    Last edited by AutootuA; 06-15-2007 at 12:41 PM.

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

FEP Super Member

Bypass the boost line at the solinoid , and watch the power rise .
    Either buy or make your own Gillisa valve to set it to what ever limit you need , without some kind of back up , it is easy to pop a head gasket .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Ive got an '88 I bought for 200 bucks and it has all the toys and boost too whats not to like?
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

I have owned a pile of them and they are great cars and I think that the car itself was ahead of its time. I bought a new one in 88 and compared to my new 88 LX Mustang the TC was lightyears ahead of the Mustang. I think you will really like the car and the 2.3 is a tuff engine and can make good power. I myself think that these cars needed the 5.0L from that factory though. Back in 1990 I took a two year old TC and swaped in a 5.0L HO in it and to this day was one of the best Daily drivers I have ever owned.

Either way they are great cars. Good luck with yours.
    A bunch of 85gt's

I bought one the same year 1985 ,at the time it was one year old and I was in love with the car but the dealership called and said that I had to bring it back because since I had not been in Knoxville tn , long enough ford motor credit would only finance a new car ,so I thought oh well a new turbo coupe is better than a one year old car any way so I brought it back and they financed me a tempo ...talk about depressing

FEP Member

Yeah those are cool cars. VERY heavy though, hence why they are slow. T-birds are a heavy car and need torque to move them hence why a 5.0 one feels faster. but a turbo 2.3L is FUN! If its a 5 speed TC its even more fun1
    1986 Mustang GT 5.0/5 speed T-tops Too much stuff to list now...
    1/8 ET: 8.33@83.84MPH 1.90 60ft (NX 100 shot)
    1.8 ET: 8.33@89.86MPH 2.12 60ft (NX 150 shot)

2002 Mustang GT 4.6L/TR3650

4.10's, MGW shifter, stickies, NX 100 shot
    1.63 60ft 7.60@90MPH 11.95@113MPH

Quote Originally Posted by NX86GT View Post
    Yeah those are cool cars. VERY heavy though, hence why they are slow. T-birds are a heavy car and need torque to move them hence why a 5.0 one feels faster. but a turbo 2.3L is FUN! If its a 5 speed TC its even more fun1
    tc's are not much heavier than a mustang. my 5.0/auto 86 was 3400
    '66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NX86GT View Post
    My nearly loaded 87 weighs just about 3650 without me in it. The 4-eye cars are lighter.