Close

FEP Supporter

Default Vic Edelbrock Jr. passed away yesterday...

'85 GT

A true Hot Rod legend! RIP big guy!

Ohh man. That stinks. What a great contributor to the hobby. And they are all about USA MADE products. Not imported China garbage like most old brand names are today.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Always seemed like a really nice guy that was down to earth and truly loved what he was doing.

Definitely lived a great life and was well respected by his friends, family, peers, and customers.

RIP Vic! You will be missed!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

See below

He put the Al in the Fe.

Aluminum heads, baby. The original V8 combinations left a lot on the table, power wise, but Vic Edelbrock Jr. and his team kept comming up with dependable increases in horspower for every rev per minute for any cubic inch capacity.

His dedication to the FE was his finest work, IMHO. The Dual Quad FE engines from 62 to 67 were the backbone of NASCAR, Le Mans and Daytona 2 hours. Its been filtering down to the other OHV engines since then. V12 Ferraris just couldn't touch iron Ford FE engnes in the 60's, and these days, the Shelby American Cobra replica guys are just having fun on Vic's ticket. He found a product which was made with quality, and then pored it into a pure, mean performance arena. Anyone who has cast alloy, knows the huge venture cost of re-arranging the pouring runners to get the casting quality just right. Getting it wrong results in a Chevy Vega. Getting it right, an alloy Teksid 4.6, 5.4 or LS* C***y

The future is hard to see excatly, but the same "from the floor", and on retainer philosphy will ensure the same sucess post VE Jr.

The depth of American enginering is always making for 10 bucks what any damned fool can do for 100, 1000, 10000, or a million. All the gains add up. The rest is just imputing the gains into one whole package, and not forgetting that the whole process you cant screw up.

I love the Edlebrock vidoes with the Great Man overseeing his American Alloy casting plant. When you factor in the hostile US economical environment, according to the accounts of Lamborghinis Bob Wallace, a lot like what it was back in the mid 70's in Italy, its the same sort of miracle. To conquer the immese cost, you use immense talent.

Sad day on the aftermarket / performance world. RIP
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

We will miss a great guy. I met Vic at the vintage races at Lime Rock a few years ago. We were walking through the pits with my 10 year old nephew and Vic calls him over and takes the time to show him the cars and transporter and gives him a hat. It made his day.
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

RIP. I met Vic at a trade show years ago when I was "in the biz." He couldn't have been nicer to talk to for the 2 minutes I got to chat with him.

A true Hot Rodding visionary. I actually had the privilege of meeting and interviewing him in person at the 1996 SEMA show when I worked for Speedvision. We produced a two hour network special on the SEMA show with my interview of Vic on Edelbrock and it's multiple product lines being a eye opening segment. What a Larger than Life fellow - The Ultimate Salesman - And most importantly a true gentleman who really loved what he did and the Hot Rod / High performance aftermarket.

He will be missed - Thank you Vic !!
    1986 SVO 7b - Original Owner
    1988 Turbo Coupe - Original Owner
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD - DD
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Son's DD

Past Pony's

1964 - Mustang - 289 - 225 HP - Dad's - Delivered 4/17/64
    1965 - Mustang - Hi Po GT - Prairie Bronze
    1967 - Shelby GT 350