Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wow it looks real nice . It will be real nice when completely finished . It looks like many hours so far outstanding work

COOL! How much does the airdam weigh?
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    A full 4x8 sheet of 22GA steel is around 30LB. 60' of 1/8×1/2 strip and 60' of 1"×1/8 was 42LB. Minus the scrap, plus the body filler, probably around 70LB. for the whole thing.
    see above.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Looks really great! Reminds me of what one of the guys in my college auto body class made for his Vega.
    1982 Mustang GT - Black with Red Interior
    Engine: Former 306 with AFR 185's, F Cam, RPM Air Gap, Barry Grant 650, Ford Racing shorties, and MSD 6AL. Coming soon a 408. Transmission: Broader Performance C-4 with Reverse Manual Valve body and Ultimate Convertor Concepts 3500 Stall.
    Rearend: 8.8 with 3.73 Gears and Moser Axles.

That looks great on there!!

Blog Entries

Well, here it is pretty much finished. The front air dam I still have not made my mind up on. In the pictures, it does look like there is too much front area, and needs something to break it up. In person, with the different bends and flow with the bumper cover, it looks fine. I am going to wait until it is in primer and all one color to make a final decision on it. I still have to make the plastic pieces that go under the front air dam and the rear bumper cover, and all of this needs to come off for final welding and grinding, but the final form is there.

Last edited by brianj; 12-08-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Nice work!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Looks good glad I didn't comment earlier. Great work. But I loved Your car just the way it was. But hey it looks good and its Your car. White paint or tu-tone?
    85 GT Vert 5 Speed 42K original miles As of right now Stock to the bone well not so much bolt ons going on

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radarluv View Post
    Looks good glad I didn't comment earlier. Great work. But I loved Your car just the way it was. But hey it looks good and its Your car. White paint or tu-tone?
    Everything is bolt-on, so it is a simple thing to remove. It would have been far easier if I had welded it on, believe me. As far as color, I have not decided. The color I want is around $2000 just for material. For now, and maybe for good, It will probably go with the original white with the black hood stripe. Possibly all black, but most likely white/black again. I was hoping to make it look like it could have come from Ford this way, and the white/black would do it. Once I paint it the color I REALLY want, (HOK Brandywine Kandy) all bets are off for original looking.
    Last edited by brianj; 12-08-2013 at 08:04 PM.

I think that the driving lights help the front. It is growing on me the more I see it. The sides are just right, but I'm not feeling the back. What are the plastic pieces you are putting on the front and back?

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Blog Entries

Just underneath to close off the bottom. The front you will not even be able to see, and the rear you will only see from certain angles. The rear looks funny in the pictures, mostly because of the optical illusion from the different angles. It is basically just a copy of a Cobra rear, just without the flare at the bottom. I almost waited until I had primer on it before posting it up, just because it looks odd in the photos. The reflection from the steel and a few other things just make for pictures that are frustratingly not like the car looks in person.
    Last edited by brianj; 12-08-2013 at 09:33 PM.

FEP Senior Member

I like it,once you lower the car a few inches I think it will look even better,the stance is so important for the overall look of the final product.I notice you fabbed up the rear valance so it sits at the same level as the side skirts,if you look at the Cobra valance you will notice it doesn't sit quite as low behind the rear tire.
    While I realize you weren't out to duplicate the Cobra ground effects to a tee,if the rear valance didn't extend so far down behind the rear it "may" look a little more put together.

Either way you were able to bring to fruition an idea of what you wanted the final result to look like,great job.

OMR
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

Blog Entries

Funny you said that- one of my pet peeves about the Cobra rear is that it doesn't go down as far as the side skirts! I deliberately brought it down further on mine. The air dam, side skirts, and rear valance are all the same height. Did it work? Not sure yet. Oh well- that is one of the reasons it is getting a cheap paint job. If I don't like it, off it comes. Steel is cheap. I built this knowing full well that the front dam will probably last about a year before an errant curb will annihilate it, so tossing that rear and starting over does not bother me.
    Last edited by brianj; 12-08-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Adding the fog lights in the opening that was already there makes a huge difference. I actually think now if you did anything different, it may just look too cluttered. The more I look at the whole package, the more I like it. Usually I think Fox Mustangs with body kits need a bigger spoiler to balance everything out, but I like this one like it is.

Chris Wood

Awesome work, I especially like the fact that it is all removable. That makes it great, truly good work.
    Now paint it mad drop it!!

I think you have done a great job . I think it will look so much nicer when pain is on it

this is alex's dad .being a former body and metal fab guy very impessive work . maybe you should give up the pole work and take on metal work .nah pole work pays better .keep up the good work look forward to seeing it on the road this spring

Blog Entries

Thanks!

Looks Great!

Congrats! Can't wait to see it in primer.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looks great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I've come to this party pretty late. I love what you've done so far.

My 2 cents worth?
    I believe the idea of adding a spoiler, skirts and rear valence are to stylistically bring the car closer to a racing look and farther away from a street look. (Big assumption here) I would add brake ducts to the front air dam. For now cut out various shapes of black craft paper and stick them on so you can get an idea of their visual impact. (Circular, rectangular) I'm leaning towards ones about the same shape as the fogs. Everything else on the front end is basically rectangular and I think round ones would make it look too much like the later GT's. you might lose some of the uniqueness of your design. I'd also paint it white and see how it looks. Maybe bring the hood stripe styling elements down into the front of the air dam.
    - the side skirts are perfect. I love how "factory" they look. That was always the one thing I balked at with the factory skirts. They looked tacked on...which they were.
    -I would roll under the bottom edge of the rear end or create an echo of the compound curve you created on the side skirt. Maybe incorporate an opening on either side for exhaust?

Oh yes. Since the car is starting to look more "modern".... Maybe some 17" cobra's to go with those B springs?

You welders kill me. I'm so jealous. Really nice work there.
    Last edited by Bruce Mohacsy; 12-13-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries

I actually spent a good deal of time with a black whiteboard marker drawing various shaped ducts on the air dam. The mistake I made if I wanted to put more air ducts in the front is I made the center opening too large. Small scoops on either side have to be too small to look right. I had not intended to cut more in it originally, or I would have made it smaller.
    Cobra "R" rims are in the near future, unless a set of 16" Enkei 92 rims come along.

Honestly. The more I look at your work the more I like it the way it stands. I wonder if it's time to finish it off, paint it and wait. Let inspiration catch up with action.

I have to reduce my drag factor to about 0.30 for fuel consumption reasons, and your kit looks like the best way to do it.

For me, it just needs some time putting a compound curve to kicking in the front spoiler to follow the original air dam more, and then some 45 degree inward tumble home on the sharp buck valance edge.

I'm using 79 Daytona plexiglass covers and trim

the trim was copied by the 81 VH SL/E Commodore

The IMSA Mustangs previewed the 87 Aero Mustang glass, but mine are plexiglass covers as per the on the web pic

All in all, I think you've got it 90% of where I want to go.

Great work! The fog lights did a great job of filling in the open area, I think with them (the fogs) the front air dam is perfect looking. If this was my car it would be hard for me not to order an 84-86 Saleen stripe kit. Your package (the ground effects, not your gentlemans vegetables) reminds me a lot of the early Saleen kit and I'm a huge fan of the lower tri-toned stripes those cars got. Plus it would be a great replacement graphics package for that "Mustang" decal you are going to lose when the car goes to paint. I love that "Mustang" graphic on your car. Ford Accessory's are awesome and you never see any cars that still have that decal.

No matter what direction you go in now, you really did a great job fab'ing those ground effects. If you're careful I think they will last for a long time. Well done.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast