Close

Default New to me 85' GT front end damage

Hello all, as the title of this thread states I recently purchased a 1985 Jalapeno Red GT to the tune of $600. The car is not complete and is missing the cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, carb and intake manifold. The car is also missing the instrument cluster as well. It has a 306 short block, new Edelbrock timing chain and water pump as well as an E-303 cam. At some point in the past, the PO rear ended a work van and some slight damage occurred to the core support, hood, and front bumper cover. My main concern is finding a header panel as mine is cracked and I have not found a new manufactured replacement. After I pull the front bumper cover I will have a better idea of what to replace. Is a 87-93 core support a good idea? Thanks in advance.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4gjulkv74...smr2Ojdha?dl=0
    Last edited by FadedJalapena; 05-09-2021 at 07:03 PM.

First Welcome to FEP! Congrats on the new to you 85 GT! The 85/86 GT is one of my favorites.

From what I can see in the pictures it appears to me that the majority of your damage is to the front bumper cover and the headlight/bumper cover support. Unfortunately the headlight support is not reproduced at this time. So a good used one or repairing your current support are your only options. As for the cover, it appears to have some heat damage to the area around the Ford Oval and is warped in addition to the crash damage. The 85/86 GT front cover is reproduced using Ford tooling, so that is a great option if you can't find a good used one. Yours is probably repairable if you had to, but based upon the current condition, I would consider replacing it.

I don't believe you have major damage to the core support the fenders don't appear to have any buckling. The hood is straight from what I can see, as well as the top of the core support. Odds are you can straighten out any damage on the core support and not have to replace it. The main area of the core support is the same for 83-89. But keep in mind that there are technically 3 pieces that make up the support and that includes the two lower bottom rear sections of the core support that are not reproduced at this time. So you either have to save yours or find a good set to make a complete core support. I highly recommend repairing what is there as it will be easier and cheaper in the long run. Worse case after pulling off the front sheet metal, if you find significant damage, have a local body shop pull everything out to spec on a frame machine. It will still cost you less than replacing the front support. Good Luck and definitely let us know what you find once you pull it all apart.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    First Welcome to FEP! Congrats on the new to you 85 GT! The 85/86 GT is one of my favorites.

From what I can see in the pictures it appears to me that the majority of your damage is to the front bumper cover and the headlight/bumper cover support. Unfortunately the headlight support is not reproduced at this time. So a good used one or repairing your current support are your only options. As for the cover, it appears to have some heat damage to the area around the Ford Oval and is warped in addition to the crash damage. The 85/86 GT front cover is reproduced using Ford tooling, so that is a great option if you can't find a good used one. Yours is probably repairable if you had to, but based upon the current condition, I would consider replacing it.

I don't believe you have major damage to the core support the fenders don't appear to have any buckling. The hood is straight from what I can see, as well as the top of the core support. Odds are you can straighten out any damage on the core support and not have to replace it. The main area of the core support is the same for 83-89. But keep in mind that there are technically 3 pieces that make up the support and that includes the two lower bottom rear sections of the core support that are not reproduced at this time. So you either have to save yours or find a good set to make a complete core support. I highly recommend repairing what is there as it will be easier and cheaper in the long run. Worse case after pulling off the front sheet metal, if you find significant damage, have a local body shop pull everything out to spec on a frame machine. It will still cost you less than replacing the front support. Good Luck and definitely let us know what you find once you pull it all apart.
    Thank you for the welcome! I definitely will update this thread when I make some progress. I am currently sorting out my carb/head/intake/exhaust situation. I did forget to mention that the driver door does interfere slightly with the fender as you open the door, maybe 1/32. The previous owner has a brand new bumper cover (Repro on Ford Tooling) he would sell me for $300, not bad in my opinion. I believe the headlight support will be my biggest hurdle.

Welcome to the site. Congrats on the purchase. I recently searched for the header panel on my 85, I can tell you you got your work cut out for you. Not easy to come by. All I can say is get on the phone and start calling all salvage yards. Prestige mustang out of Georgia is a good start. I finally found one by simply calling all places I could find. The front bumper covers are easy enough to come by. There are new reproductions out there. Good luck on your search. Cheers