Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who has replaced or swapped a distributor shaft?

On another thread inquiring about 351 swaps, a reply was posted where the shaft from a 351 remote tfi distributor was used in a 302 tfi distributor. I happen to have both of these distributors laying around and I am in the middle of a 351 swap. Free is better than 60 bucks and having to swap gears anyway. Right? If you've done this, let me know. How hard? Special tools? Thanks in advance.

If the shaft is supposed to come out the top it looks like the only things holding it in there are the gear and a collar just below the housing. The collar is positioned on the shaft with a pin, just like the gear. If I have to punch out a pin to swap gears on a new distributor, I might as well punch out 2 pins and use what I have for free.

why can't you use the 351 distributor?
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I don't want to rewire for remote tfi and don't have the heat sink etc.

roller cam? carb of efi? on the 351

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

It's a lightning engine that I will convert to roller cam. I will be fuel injected. Hopefully.

Oh! You mean the distributor. The 351 distributor is out of a roller cam engine.

I've never tried the shaft swap but if it fits you should be good to go.

If it's a factory dist. there is a special tool (plate) the should be used to press the gear off of the shaft and back on. I have this tool and the facilities to perform this service. You can also use the 302 dist. in a 351 if it came from a 302 with a roller cam.

What you are referring to is a open bowl dist. (TFI on the dist.) versus a closed bowl dist (TFI mounted away from the dist.).

I believe the 351 Lighting came with a roller cam. To the best of my knowledge the only difference between the 302 and the 351 is the deck height of the block, the dist. should interchange.

It looks like they would interchange, but the difference is at the bottom where the oil pump drive is. 5/16 hex vs. 1/4 hex.

Quote Originally Posted by gt pony View Post
    If it's a factory dist. there is a special tool (plate) the should be used to press the gear off of the shaft and back on. I have this tool and the facilities to perform this service. You can also use the 302 dist. in a 351 if it came from a 302 with a roller cam.

What you are referring to is a open bowl dist. (TFI on the dist.) versus a closed bowl dist (TFI mounted away from the dist.).

I believe the 351 Lighting came with a roller cam. To the best of my knowledge the only difference between the 302 and the 351 is the deck height of the block, the dist. should interchange.
    Do you think you can post a pic of the tool/plate?

oil pump driveshafts are bigger on a 351, lightnings didn't come with roller cams, but I'm not sure on the distributor shaft length.

Quote Originally Posted by gt pony View Post
    You can also use the 302 dist. in a 351 if it came from a 302 with a roller cam.

Bad info here. 302 and 351 had different sized oil pump driveshafts. I believe that the hole in the block is a different size also.

Lightings had a roller block and a flat tappet cam.

When I did my fuel injected 351 I went to the U-pull-it and grabbed one of these;

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...034%7CL3*16062

Put a roller cam gear from a later model(remote mount TFI) distributor on a distributor like in the link(1989 f-150), and you are ready to go. You could get one of those from a junkyard too if you are looking to save some cash. I bought mine remaned so I would have a new gear. Make sure to use a mustang TFI module.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Bang! You just shot down my plan. This would have worked were it not for the difference in the hole in the block. I basically have 4 distributors. Two 5.0 distfibutors, a lightning distributor and a roller cam 351 distributor out of a 1995 truck. I need the distributor out of a 89 truck to swap my steel gear onto. Darn. I will post the pics anyway for reference. Thanks to all for contributing.

Pics. I took apart the distributor anyway, but I didn't take pics. After removing the 2 pins the gear had to be pressed off but the collar just slid right off and out came the shaft.

Hmm, when I did my 5.0 to 5.8 roller swap in my bronco I used the 5.8 shaft, the 5.0 gear and 5.0 base and it worked perfect..I see they do have different base sizes, but that didn't effect mine, worked great..that size difference above isn't much

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by v8only; 07-12-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I have on of these tools to replace the gears and perform maintenance.

http://www.handhelditems.com/ford-di...n-p-59210.html

If you start hammering on the shaft you will likely break the cast iron collar right under the aluminum housing.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

That's a cool tool, I've got a harbor freight press, so I.use that

Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    Hmm, when I did my 5.0 to 5.8 roller swap in my bronco I used the 5.8 shaft, the 5.0 gear and 5.0 base and it worked perfect..I see they do have different base sizes, but that didn't effect mine, worked great..that size difference above isn't much

I can believe you got away with using the base or housing of the 5.0, but the gear you would have to drill out because the shaft of the 5.8 distributor is fatter.

The shaft diameter for the dizzy is the same between the two, only the end that fits into oil pump shaft is fatter, yea, its been some time, I.used the steel gear off the 96 5.8 dizzy that I had

Jeremy

I walked through 6 local u pull it yards today and couldn't find a late 80's 351 distributor. I might just try the 5.0 distributor with the 351 shaft and steel gear and put a little bit thicker o ring on it for a good seal. There is an edge I think around the distributor hole that along with the hold down would prevent it from moving around.

For anybody pulling a dizzy gear, make sure you mark the gear and the shaft so the gear goes back on the right way. If you install it 180^ off, it is almost a full tooth off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike86GT View Post
    For anybody pulling a dizzy gear, make sure you mark the gear and the shaft so the gear goes back on the right way. If you install it 180^ off, it is almost a full tooth off.
    If this is true then I am f'ed! Haha!

Ok. Well I finally broke down and got a used distributor off of ebay that came out of a late 80's ford truck. I offered to buy a distributor out of a 1990 bronco being parted out on craigs and never heard back, so ebay to the rescue! Now I just have to swap out the cast gear for my 351 roller cam steel gear and I will be good to go. I have 4 distributors! Stock 5.0 mustang, stock 1995 lightning that came in my motor, 1996 351 roller cam ford truck, and finally 351 late 80's ford truck distributor. All 4 distributors are the same overall length. The shaft diameter for the 302 is smaller where the gear is mounted. Therefore a 302 roller cam gear will not work on a 351 shaft. If you look at the pic with the view from bottom in my earlier post you can see the difference in the thickness of the shiny machined portion on the bottom of the gear.

Here is the distributor I bought on ebay. 351 distributor with the tfi module on the side. the gear is cast and not compatible with a roller camshaft. in my attempt to replace the gear with a roller cam gear I found that the hole on the shaft would not match up with the hole on the gear. Maybe the hole was drilled offset, but it wouldn't line up. I had to use the distributor shaft that the gear came from. The older style distributor didn't have a seal on the bottom, and the shaft had a spiral groove on it to control oil coming up the shaft. Since I used the shaft and gear from a newer distributor, there is a possibility I will have an oil problem inside the distributor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast