Close

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
Results 1,051 to 1,054 of 1054

Ok. I tried to keep the pedal but it didn't work out with the cobra disc brakes I have. I figured since you went to the mustang dash and console maybe you converted to the pull lever. I was gonna ask how to advice. Haha!

I've seen guys that have it online. One guy swapped over a section of Mustang floor so the cable could pass smoothly through. That looked like something I didn't want to do, haha.

I did some work yesterday, testing things to make sure everything worked that I had disconnected and stuff. Everything is working. I found what looks like a transmission to bellhousing bolt from that work last year, but when I checked them under the car, they were all there. So, I guess I don't know what it is. Later, I remembered I think maybe I replaced a lost one last year with a hardware store bolt, so I'll have to look at them again.

When I started this season, I put some cardboard under the car for changing the oil. This is still the first few oil changes of the new engine, so I looked at the oil for any metal in it. I don't think there is any. I bought this sideways can opener thing to hopefully be able to get into the oil filter, but it doesn't line up right, so I guess I have to come up with something else. I don't know what. Last time just cutting open the filter produced so many shavings, it didn't tell me anything.

I noticed a green puddle on the cardboard. I think maybe my brand new heater core is leaking. I'm pretty sure I cleaned up the housing and drain and stuff when I had it out, but I'm not 100% certain. I'll know for sure when I top off the cooling system and start the engine, which I didn't do yet. After that, I took some time to be really angry and disappointed. All that work for nothing.

After I got my head straight, I decided if that turns out to be the case, I will just bypass the stupid f***ing thing for this season and see when maybe I feel like doing all this again sometime in the future. I just want to drive the thing, although it really seems like that's just too much to ask. I really get why people give up on cars and park them in a field for 20 years without even looking at them.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

You might find out where the leak is with a system pressure tester...buy, rent or borrow one if you can. good Luck
    more foxes than cents

Quote Originally Posted by frinkspa View Post
    You might find out where the leak is with a system pressure tester...buy, rent or borrow one if you can. good Luck
    Thanks. I think I might actually have one somewhere.

Yesterday, I started on smoke machine 2.0 for vacuum leak testing. Then I had some time while I was waiting for glue to dry, so I decided I might as well start the engine. I disconnected the coil and spun it over with the starter for a bit. It gave me a scare when the oil pressure gauge never came up while doing that. I'd had a little problem with the connection at the sending unit last year, so I tried wiggling that a few times, but still nothing. I decided maybe it was better not to keep draining the battery since it hadn't been properly charged by the alternator in so long. I had it on a maintainer all winter, which worked out great. I couldn't be happier with that, but I felt like the starter was slowing down sooner than it otherwise would have. So I hooked the coil back up. The engine started right up, and there was a short second or less, but then the oil pressure gauge shot up. Whew.

I let it get up to operating temp. No sign of drips at the heater core drain. I'm at a loss to explain it. I'm fairly sure the puddle lined up with the drain, not the heater hoses.... I don't know. I guess maybe the next step is a test drive and then check it again. The stupid fan waited way too long to come on. In fact, it waited until I turned the engine off. WTF? I guess since I have this worry about overheating now, I'll turn down the temp it comes on. At least temporarily.

Oh yeah, and the idle is still really terrible, haha. I might play with the datalogging today and see if that tells me anything.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243