Close

FEP Senior Member

Angry Rubber bushing on steering column ???

Where the HELL can I find these things ? It is a rubber like grommet that sits behind the steering wheel behind the plate. It supposely keeps cushion on the steering shaft so it doesnt bounce around. Mine is shot and cannot find one or an upgraded plastic one anywhere. And help would be awesome.

FEP Senior Member 85 Speedfreak's Avatar

Sounds like a rag joint or steering coupler but those do not go right behind the steering wheel.Got a picture of it?
    Automatics are for girls

FEP Senior Member

I am an idiot with technology. I could take a pic of it with the digital but putting it up on here wouldnt happen. Its not the rag joint/steering coupler. It basically is a rubber bushing more or less that sits on the top of the steering shaft behind the wheel. Basically it should of been a bearing.

FEP Senior Member 85 Speedfreak's Avatar

Do we have factory service manual pics in the archives around here?That would be a good thing if so.
    I'll look around and see what I can come up with.
    Automatics are for girls

Are you talking about the piece on the back of the steering wheel?

How can i make this more printer friendly.

right click on the image, left click save as and save it to your desktop, open the image with MS Paint or another photo editor and adjust however you wish and then save a copy to print from. Or pm me your mailing address and I will copy any page form the factory service manual you want and mail it to you. This image is from the repair info that is on Autozone's website.
    Last edited by kj_80Cobra; 12-31-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by my83horse View Post
    Where the HELL can I find these things ? It is a rubber like grommet that sits behind the steering wheel behind the plate. It supposely keeps cushion on the steering shaft so it doesnt bounce around. Mine is shot and cannot find one or an upgraded plastic one anywhere. And help would be awesome.
    Is the plate you're talking about #32 in the image? If so, is the rubber grommet you're talking about the bearing retainer #34 in the picture? #35 is the bearing itself. I was told to replace the bearings to cure the bouncy steering wheel, but a rubber grommet (or sleeve in the case of the picture) would be a much more plausible repair. I have a bouncy steering wheel, so I'd love to know what you've found.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

FEP Senior Member

Yeah number 34 is what I am talking about. By the way awesome diagram ! That number 34 part is rubber and when it starts gettin worn out the steering wheel bounces around. It is really rubbery like a rubber band.

FEP Senior Member

Is there a replacement for this ?

I wish I knew. I do know that getting the bearings is impossible. I've been told to just go to a machine shop and match them up, so maybe something similar has to be done for the rubber piece?

I wish there was an easy way to take a look at mine, because I'm sure it is in similar shape to yours and the reason why my wheel bounces over bumps. I will post back here if I can find it anywhere.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.