Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car rotisserie

Default Car rotisserie

Since all i got left on my 83 vert is to paint, i went out and bought me a 65 289 stang. I purchased it from the original owner, he had it since day one and only thing rusty is the bumpers. Back to my original question, has anybody ever used a car rotisserie, i wanting to sandblast the bottom of car and paint. Or has anybody found anything that works just as good. Thanks Curtis
    Also i will throw a few pics up as soon as i wash it. It has been in a barn under a tarp for 7 years. We had a tough time to get here to crank and all the brakes seals were leaking but one. But it is a 2 year project for me and my Daughter.

Here's a great site if you're interested in doing it yourself:

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizlan...ick/index.html

Look for the "Rotisserie Contruction" link on the left side of the page under "Resources".
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

Quote Originally Posted by 83mustangconv View Post
    Since all i got left on my 83 vert is to paint,

Thats the first time i've ever heard anyone say that before.....all i have left is one thing?
    1985 Mustang GT:
    347 stroker
    Holley 750 double pumper
    xe274hr comp cam
    Victor jr. intake
    RPM aluminum heads
    roller rockers
    equal length shorty headers
    electric fan
    afco aluminum radiator
    american thunder series flowmasters
    pace setter off road h-pipe
    chrome OEM cobra rims

well, atleast for now that is all got to do, but the weekend is not here yet. Also srm351 that is a good site. There is a lot of good articles.

If you are handy with a welder you can make your own rotisserie with two engine stands and some extra steel.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

yea,but you still have to buy a huge basting brush..................
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

FEP Power Member

Here is my blue svo on one, bottom was sandblasted. I built this one myself, it is fully adjustable.
    Last edited by KCoker; 02-04-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    Kendal

If you want someone to build one for cheap...I have a friend in Gluckstadt who's a fabricator...

Wish to hell I woulda had one for my car! The only thing that wont be restored (at least until I do the mini tub) is the bottom of my car....I will have to do that by hand, DA, Mud hog, Crud thug, grinders, spot Speedblaster....and whatever else I can come up with to get it stripped and refinished!

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    Here is my blue svo on one, bottom was sandblasted. I built this one myself, it is fully adjustable.
    Did you write up any plans or materials list? estimated total cost?
    I would like to build my own one day when I have a big enough shop. I looked at the newer Hoop design at the All Ford Nationals, it was interesting.

FEP Power Member

Those at carlisle looked pretty good, I bought the plans off of e-bay and modified them. I think the plans were $20. I am afraid to add up what I have in them because of the price of steel and the wheels. You most likely can buy one already built for the cost of materials because they get a discount for large quantites.
    Kendal

I have my shell stripped down and only need it on its side; I have no need for it to rotate. I was thinking of making a rack like this out of wood. The shell is light and I think wood would work just fine using bolts (although its a bit redneck).
    Thoughts?
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

I don't see why it couldn't be done. If you ever plan to use them again I would use steel instead of wood though.

How would you get the shell on its side to mount it? Or would these install , then turn the shell on its side?
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Quote Originally Posted by gdniel View Post
    I don't see why it couldn't be done. If you ever plan to use them again I would use steel instead of wood though.

How would you get the shell on its side to mount it? Or would these install , then turn the shell on its side?
    I thought I would install them and have some help turning it on its side. Then put the casters on. The shell is really light when its all stripped down.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

i think you should just build a rotisserie for ease of rotation. my dad picked one up cheap recently for his '66 nova we are restoring. he was going to build his own until he found a good deal. i think that made of wood contraption you're talking about is just asking for trouble.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    i think you should just build a rotisserie for ease of rotation. my dad picked one up cheap recently for his '66 nova we are restoring. he was going to build his own until he found a good deal. i think that made of wood contraption you're talking about is just asking for trouble.

cale
    I can pick the back half of the car off the ground with no problem. I don't think weight is going to be a safety issue.
    Plus I don't have the room for a rotisserie that sticks out a few feet on each end.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

FEP Power Member

thats some nice work guys, too bad though they dont make something for a complete car.

Here is what I ended up doing. You cant get any simpler than this and total cost was around $60.00.
    I got the idea from this Rabbit:

And then made this:
    The biggest headache was getting the rear end high enough to clear the board. I still have the boat jack on the front so that was easy. For the rear I had to use the engine hoist and a rim/tire between the body and furniture dolly. I don't have enough room in the garage to put it on its side and leave it so it still has to be mobile.
    I reinforced a few spots that the Rabbit design didn't. Other than that its pretty basic and cheap.
    I ran out of daylight and helpers so I wasn't able to get it on its side, but I'll take care of that tomorrow.

Setting the angle and rear fender lip clearance was fun. I went high tech with some rope and broom.
    Last edited by KAILUAZ; 05-28-2009 at 11:49 PM.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

allenpul

Quote Originally Posted by KAILUAZ View Post
    Here is what I ended up doing. You cant get any simpler than this and total cost was around $60.00.
    This is awesome!

So one question. What where did you put all the guts of the car? Storage, friends house, in your house......
    Last edited by allenpul; 05-29-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenpul View Post
    This is awesome!

So one question. What where did you put all the guts of the car? Storage, friends house, in your house......
    In the trash. I'm running a stripped interior and the 86 was basically flooded and destroyed (that's the 93 in the pics). I did keep the seats which were re-done in military canvass.
    Engine is gone too, I'm going 460.
    Last edited by KAILUAZ; 05-29-2009 at 07:07 AM.
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

All done, works like a charm! I had some help at first, but I had no problem rolling it SAFELY by myself. As it sits it is very stable in both directions so there is no worry about it tipping when working on it. I'm going to make the dolly one piece so its easier to put on and off.

Git er' done:

911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

Very Awesome. Rodding at it's best!!!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

post dimensions i'm doing this yesterday LOL! seriously how long of a 2x4, how big of a wedge you know the drill....i need to do this and it's much easier than building a big space consuming rotisserie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast