Close

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default 1984 1/2 GT Turbo Restoration

I can't really tell if this should go here or in online car show forum. Jturbo has a nice restoration thread of a wiped out '82 GT he is bringing back from the dead (restoring) in the online car show forum so I don't know. Don't want to violate the rules.
    I am just really excited about this. This is my first COMPLETE restoration but I have had more than a dozen Mustangs that I could drive any day of the week. 65, 66, 70, 94 GT 5.0, 2004 Screaming Yellow Terminator, 20th Anniversary GT350 etc. I have rebuilt engines, installed my own clutches, gear installs, water pump, alternators radiators, Cobra brake swaps on Foxbodies etc. Just never this much. This one was destined for the crusher because nobody else wanted it. So I stepped in and saved it. Or at least that is the plan so far. The driver's window was busted out and the interior is trashed. I now have a window sitting here in the garage waiting on the car to arrive and I paid $100 for an almost 100% perfect set of 1989 Tweed canyon red seats, front and back at the fall Super Swap in Columbus. They are cherry. I also have a perfect 3 spoke non-cruise steering wheel already for it. I hate this wheel so bad I could care less about cruise, whether it works or not.

Anyway, here we go. I will post good HD DSLR pics once I get it here before I start cleaning.

It sat under a carport with the hood open and the driver's side window is busted out. It has been inside for the last several years and has never sat outside of the carport where it could get rained on. It is just years of neglect. It has been parked since the mid 90s. Paint is original. Car looks stock to me down to the brickstyle catalytic converter. The carpet does not smell at all and I pulled it up and the floor looks great. Odometer reads 46,xxx so 146K, 246K? Who knows. Car has AC, defrost, tilt, cruise, intermittant wipers, T-tops. No cloth, sport seats (it has cherry sport seats now) or power windows.
    I also wanted to mention that both door hinge bushings are really tight and OEM. That is odd to me. You can rock the whole car by picking up on the back of the door. No slack or give in the hinge at all. I just can't imagine that this is somehow 45K miles though. These were famous for wearing out the hinge bushings from my experience.

Last edited by homer302; 12-11-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Wink

Nice find. Original everything under the hood from what i can see down to the metal cover in the pass side rear corner which is a Turbo car specific part so you know.
    Be very careful with the Black plastic wiring/hose channel cover at the back of the engine compartment on the firewall. Very hard to find and they get brittle with age . Another Turbo car specific part.
    Last edited by 3rdLSC; 12-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Nice score... will have to follow this... It has me scratching my head because my first mustang was a 84 Turbo Gt and it was different.. Had the Three piece wing and different steering wheel... Must have been a option type thing

Good Luck !
    1982 TTOP GT-under construction
    1983 Mustang T-top Dominator- black/Black
    85 Gt vert . canyon red/red- Rust heaven
    1982 T-top- Yellow/black
    1984 Turbo GT- Grey/grey

I HATE MUSTANGS !!-
    THE BOSS IS BACK

Front bumper cover without foglamps and three-piece rear spoiler were carry-over parts from '83. Those were the "early" '84s. This one is a "late" '84 (foglamps and one-piece rear spoiler).

The steering wheel in this one is for the optional speed (cruise) control. There was a different wheel for non-speed control.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Nice project. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Front bumper cover without foglamps and three-piece rear spoiler were carry-over parts from '83. Those were the "early" '84s. This one is a "late" '84 (foglamps and one-piece rear spoiler).

The steering wheel in this one is for the optional speed (cruise) control. There was a different wheel for non-speed control.
    I will get the VIN for you as soon as the car shows up. I also should be able to solve the mileage mystery. The dealer emblem on the trunk is a Charlotte, NC dealer so this car has likely been in NC its whole life. It's the old, screw on metal type they used back in 1984 so it is the original dealer logo. Yearly inspection is required and mileage is noted at that time.
    Last edited by homer302; 12-12-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post

Thanks for the info...( sorry for hi-jacking your thread)

Glad to see another turbo Gt being saved .. I will be watching for progress
    1982 TTOP GT-under construction
    1983 Mustang T-top Dominator- black/Black
    85 Gt vert . canyon red/red- Rust heaven
    1982 T-top- Yellow/black
    1984 Turbo GT- Grey/grey

I HATE MUSTANGS !!-
    THE BOSS IS BACK

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Sweet Score! I love watching these cars get restored! GT Turbo, Black, Red Interior and a T-Roof - Cool!!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

I am looking forward to following this thread. Good looking project. Based on your experience, sounds like it is in good hands.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

NICE RIDE, I used to have a burgandey one,it had louvers over hatch. sold car,fuel pump went out.Bought it back,and sold it again.

Was the 84 GT Turbo and the 84 SVO the same motor?

Thanks
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Was the 84 GT Turbo and the 84 SVO the same motor?

Thanks
    I would said "yes and no" !

Yes in the sense that it uses a high % of the same parts - ie Block, fixtures, Manifolds, hoses and harnesses etc etc

No in the sense that it has a different turbo outlet, lacks an intercooler and has different SDM & TB(?) and calibrations for SDM and interface to the computer.

Calibration changes for the early cars is probably the biggest variable - consider the different ECC-IV's that were used before the PE's of the 85.5/86 SVO's. Of course, the lack of intercoolers and availability of an auto in some cars required that too.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I never knew that it did not have an Intercooler! I thought they were exact drop in motors!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

I think the motor is drop in. The intercooler goes in between the turbo and intake. It's basically piping on that end and then the computer differences are vast due to the SVO having basically a "switch chip" for premium or regular fuel etc.

It's HERE, It's HERE! I got pics in the daylight then had to run right to work. I will post them later tonight. I was so excited I couldn't wait to post, LOL.

This thing is arrow straight. One small dent in the whole car and the metal is not creased, it's more of an impression and might be coaxed out. All original paint, all original body panels. Frame rails, floorpans etc. all totally rust free.
    The wiring underhood is not brittle and cracking. Insulation looks great. I can't wait to start, LOL. The BONES of this thing are excellent. Engine is not seized either.

I have all the original keys even the T top key (#251). I also have all the ownership history. I am the third owner. Check out the extended warranty card.

Last edited by homer302; 01-15-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Nice starting point. The interior is scuzzy, but I bet it will clean up pretty well. It would be nice to start with a car that had that little rust....

Keep the progress pictures coming!!!

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

The dash pad is flawless. Just dirty. No cracks.

I bet that will look a hundred time better with just a thorough cleaning. Thanks for the update.

They didn`t spell very well on the stamped card. The street should be Waxhaw Indian Trail Road, Matthews, NC. This is right by Dale Jarrett Ford. I know this because my brother lived right off of that road for about 10 years.
    Also I see the paperwork from Ford says Larry Kilgore. He is very active in the Mustang Club of America. I bought a car like this in 1987. It was the same but had the highback seats and the 14" alloy wheels. Everybody that rode in that car said it sounded like a police siren when the turbo kicked in.

I love these threads, thanks for sharing. Keep the updates coming....
    1985 5.0 Coupe - will eventually be hated by Ford purists

Quote Originally Posted by shazam View Post
    They didn`t spell very well on the stamped card. The street should be Waxhaw Indian Trail Road, Matthews, NC. This is right by Dale Jarrett Ford. I know this because my brother lived right off of that road for about 10 years.
    Also I see the paperwork from Ford says Larry Kilgore. He is very active in the Mustang Club of America. I bought a car like this in 1987. It was the same but had the highback seats and the 14" alloy wheels. Everybody that rode in that car said it sounded like a police siren when the turbo kicked in.
    He was very active, yes. Larry is not doing well at all. He has extremely agressive alzheimers. He can't even walk very well at this point. If you know him, you should call him.

I made pretty decent progress today. I know you need air, spark and fuel to fire an engine. I pulled the timing cover and made sure the timing belt was intact (I have a new one but can still return it if I determine this car terminal. I will replace it immediately once I hear this thing run.) I removed the fuel line from the rail (no sense wearing out a battery trying to start a car with no fuel) and there was no fuel coming out at all. So I checked the intertia switch and relay and they both checked out fine. So I pulled the line off the inline fuel pump and it looked terrible. Gas was a terrible brown and smelled bad. So I replaced the filter and pump and still no fuel. So the low pressure in tank pump is dead or clogged, whatever. So I dropped the tank. It is horrible inside. Lots of nasty goo. Sending unit and pump have horrific amounts of goo on them. So I am on the hunt for a tank, pump and sending unit. Also replaced the window so now have a weathertight car. Plugging along!

Last edited by homer302; 12-18-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Good luck finding the fuel level sender. I had mine rebuild and there is also a DYI thread on the main page.

Look about 3/4 down this page for my rebuild and the next comment from CapriMan86 about the DYI thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...t=75344&page=7
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

I am stoked about this resto! The car has a ton of potential and is well documented.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast