Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello All

Default Hello All

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have two turbo Mustangs, 1 79 Pacecar and 1 84 SVO. I also turned my first 79 Mustang (back in 85) into a turbo car by swapping the engine out of a GT. Loved driving that thing till it broke

Thanks in advance since I will be tapping the carb turbo brains to bring the 79PC back to life after sitting the in the Southern California Sun, in a Field, for the last 10 years, but it still only has 65k miles on it

Matt

Welcome! Sounds like a pretty nice collection going on. Oh and let me be the first to say:

All of us here are a visually oriented group.

Quote Originally Posted by lnchewitt View Post
    Just wanted to introduce myself. I have two turbo Mustangs, 1 79 Pacecar and 1 84 SVO. I also turned my first 79 Mustang (back in 85) into a turbo car by swapping the engine out of a GT. Loved driving that thing till it broke

Thanks in advance since I will be tapping the carb turbo brains to bring the 79PC back to life after sitting the in the Southern California Sun, in a Field, for the last 10 years, but it still only has 65k miles on it

Matt

I may be your new best friend. My 79 turbo Cobra is a Cali car and if yours was shipped from the factory to Cali you are in a very dubious emissions from h*ll club. I can help. First step should be to find a steep hill....
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

FEP Supporter

North of Seattle, near the "Four-Eye-Field-of-Dreams"

Better make another copy of the "turbo book" for the new guy....WELCOME "new guy", I mean...Inchewitt.

Neil
    Check out the Northwest "4-Eye" BBQ here >>> WWW.NWFOUREYEBBQ.COM

foureyebbq@hotmail.com (to be put on the BBQ list )

Lots of pics of my ride for your viewing pleasure....
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052657/1

Quote Originally Posted by WHTLTHR79RS View Post
    Better make another copy of the "turbo book" for the new guy....WELCOME "new guy", I mean...Inchewitt.

Neil
    Yep!

Default Great

Thanks Sellis1012, I will be looking for the hill real soon. Just getting started on where to get started with the pace car. Still have to get the weight bags out of the bag I guess someone used for snow in the hills. WHTLTHR79RS, what part of WA are you located at. Go up there quite a bit since a lot of my family is still there. Used to be with the Kitsap Mustang club and we might have even seen each others cars if you used to to do the summer show circuit tman1257, I will get pictures on the board today. Have to pull the camera from my 6 year old hands and again replace the batteries.

I will tell you to listen to Neil and Sellis if you need help with your vacuum lines. I had the same issue with my 79 turbo 4 and the vacuum system. Between those two you will have no problem figuring it out. Good luck.

FEP Supporter

I am located at exit #206 of Interstate 5, 40 miles north of Seattle. Never did the circut thing, just hang at Burger King on saturday afternoons....
    and BTW, I do a small gathering every august just for special 4-eye owners.

Neil

Inch,

Do you have lots of plastic spaghetti vacuum lines running off of and around the air cleaner like in the picture or mostly black rubber lines?

Quote Originally Posted by tman1257 View Post
    I will tell you to listen to Neil and Sellis if you need help with your vacuum lines. I had the same issue with my 79 turbo 4 and the vacuum system. Between those two you will have no problem figuring it out. Good luck.
    Why thank you kind sir.

Default Okay, laying it on the line:)

The SVO was parked in the garage a day after a rare shower of rain here in Bakersfield. It usually looks better than that but have to move 4 vehicles to get it out of the garage now. The Pace Car, as can be seen, has seen many summers of south CA sun. Also, I will need large amounts of experience and help running the noodles around the engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks for the pics!!! I see all good news in the turbo department. It is not a Cali emissions car, and it appears from the pics that all your vacuum lines are intact and in place.

Default Okay

It was bought in California, will have to check with owner and see if they bought it brand new. Was the parents of one of my work partners. Still is a lot of vacuum lines though

FEP Supporter

The emissions decal under the hood should say something like.."this car meets 49 states..ect" -or- "this car meets California"...
    and be very careful working on the white plastic vacuum connectors as they get brittle and like to break. DO NOT use any kind of carb or brake cleaner spray on any of the decals under the hood to clean them, wipes the ink right off...gone forever !!

sample

Neil

Default Great

Thanks for the info. Would love to make the barbeque, will have to wait to see what vacation times get approved at work.

I will have to agree with Sellis. Does not look like Cali. emissions. But you will find about 2 miles of vacuum lines under the hood. That was about how many I had to take out of mine when I pulled the motor. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sellis1012 View Post
    Why thank you kind sir.
    Anytime!

Default Well, here are some pics

Found the tag on the underside of the hood, it is a cali car. I just didn't remember all of the hoses on my 79 turbo car but the donor was a VA car. Will be working on it tomorrow and will for sure be asking for help
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those cars scare me...they seriously do.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Default Why?

Why do these, I am assuming carb turbo cali, cars scare you?

Besides having some fun I would like to hear what you have to say so I can learn from it. Thanks.

Look at all those brittle and easy to lose track of vacuum lines!!! Game over man, game over!
    No matter where you go, there you are

That is the smae problem I had with mine. Some connectors were missing, some broke, and the motor was half apart when I bought it. You will have a little easier time since yours is in one piece yet. Make sure to label and take a lot of pictures for reference. If it is indeed a Cali car with a non Cali motor swapped in, pay close attention to Sellis's car. You will not find a better reference car to go from.

Default thanks tman

I will have it running, I hope, this week

welcome. nice cars
    85 gt 347 stroker performance automatic aod
    79 cobra 302 4spd 37k original miles
    80 cobra RIP
    93 calypso hatch RIP
    68 coupe SOLD
    88 t-top lx SOLD
    88 gt SOLD
    91 coupe SOLD
    97 aztec gold gts SOLD

Oh dear. It is a Cali car. The good news is then possibly bad. So, either somebody went in and replaced all the plastic lines with rubber lines, or the factory changed things up later in the year. What is your build date? I have a build date of 3/30/79. And yes, what Neil said, those plastic connectors break easy.
    Last edited by Sellis1012; 10-12-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast