Close

Default Would 4 round headlights look like cr@p?

After looking over the Austrailan Falcons and Fairmonts a bit. I toyed with the idea of converting my '83 2-dr Fairmont sedan to 4 round headlights (instead of the 4 rectangular headlights). Do you think that would look like cr@p? I would have to make a custom grille. The reason I thought about this is I have a set of perfectly good round Hella H4 and H4/H1 conversion headlights left over from when I had a '69 Firebird. I figure I could use the plastic headlight trim rings I've harvested from a '70 Ford Galaxie long ago, use some aluminum or plastic to make thin horizontal bars and paint the bars black and rings silver.

Just a thought...

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Keep thinking... lol

Phillip
    Phillip
    1979 Fairmont Futura-SOLD to save a Ranchero
    1980 Fairmont Futura-Future street/strip car
    1979 Mercury Zephyr-Parts car
    2002 Mustang GT Vert-Daily Driver/For Sale
    1981 Mercury Zephyr Villager SW-Daily Driver soon
    1978 Fairmont Sedan-V8 parts car

Photoshop is your friend.

The first thing, though, would be making the buckets work with round lights instead of rectangles. Probably a junkyard with a '70s 4-round-eye car would be a good donor for buckets and adjusters.

Then you'd need to make new trim and maybe a grille. Because the F/Z are so slab-sided, I think this is where it will be hard to make a round shape work.

I'm going to say it will look as fugly as, say, a rear panel for the Futura to allow the use of Corvette taillghts. I considered that (around the time of my taillight post) but it didn't even make it to the photoshop phase.

If you can figure out how to make round and square look good together...go for it...it could be a billet piece like the round gauges in a square Fox dash...but I jut don't see it, myself.

Ben

Yeah,

Probably a bad idea - plus I need to do some other stuff to the car first - like an EFI Roller engine swap first!

Dean T

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Yeah,

Probably a bad idea - plus I need to do some other stuff to the car first - like an EFI Roller engine swap first!

Dean T

Now you're talking!!!!!
    Phillip
    1979 Fairmont Futura-SOLD to save a Ranchero
    1980 Fairmont Futura-Future street/strip car
    1979 Mercury Zephyr-Parts car
    2002 Mustang GT Vert-Daily Driver/For Sale
    1981 Mercury Zephyr Villager SW-Daily Driver soon
    1978 Fairmont Sedan-V8 parts car

Why not put in the Aussie engine (instead of headlights)?

Ben

California would frown on an Aussie headed I6 in an '83 Fairmont so that engine goes in a '65 Mustang which currently they aren't paying too much attention to. Have to pass bi-annual smog check where I live. Ugh, now they're humping for yearly smog check!

Dean T

Default 4-round-eyed Mustang

I've just found this when searching for race mustangs in Europe and was wondering if somebody on FEP had the same idea:

Name:  Spa-1983-23.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  79.5 KB

found here:

http://touringcarracing.net/Pages/p%201983%20Spa.html

And then I've found this thread. What happend to your idea of the 4-round-eyed fox in the meantime?

This is what I found, a Mustang from 1983. it's Spa and Silverstone.
    I could imaging that they broke the original rectangular headlights in the race before and run out of spares.... and had to improvise :-)

Name:  WM_Spa-1983-07-31-023.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  WM_Silverstone-1983-09-11-023.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  44.6 KB

These are the links:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...983-07-31.html

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...983-09-11.html
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

Er, well I turned in the '83 Fairmont to the state for $1000 under their Voluntary Accelerated Retirement program. So it's probably in China being made into toasters by now.

I still have the Galaxie headlight trim and I also have the headlight fixtures from the same Galaxie too.

Another idea had crossed my mind (spurred by another thread on here) is to use the round headlights on my '78 2dr sedan and incorporate covers which retract when the lights are turned on - the classic disappearing head lights. When I have time I need to study the '78 2dr and see how much room is behind the bumper, where the bumper struts are located, and how much room in the grill area I have to work with.

I was thinking of the cover dropping down behind the bumper or clam shell. I don't think a solid cover would work well going inboard and blocking the airflow to the radiator - and I want a cover to hide the round headlights.

All kinds of ideas - no mind!

Default "Belga" Group A car at Goodwood

this "Belga" race group A Mustang was running again (last year?) at Goodwood Revival, see here - at 11:14 :

Celebrating the Group A era at Goodwood | Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coay6V6hel8
    Last edited by stickshift; 03-20-2017 at 07:58 AM.
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
    this "Belga" race group A Mustang was running again (last year?) at Goodwood Revival, see here - at 11:14 :

Celebrating the Group A era at Goodwood | Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coay6V6hel8
    Nice find, thanks for posting that up! Back to the square headlights, obviously. Man, I gotta get to Goodwood some day!

Quote Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
    I could imaging that they broke the original rectangular headlights in the race before and run out of spares.... and had to improvise :-)
    My guess is that they were doing endurance/night racing, and the round lights were probably some high power Hellas (or whatever brand) that threw a lot more light than you could manage with the stock sealed beams.