Close

Default VIN missing on engine block

I took the intake off of my 86 GT convertible and when I looked at the spot where I thought the VIN number should be on the block I see this. A partial "1" and a "9". I do not have a "9" or a "6" in my VIN.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1456544689746.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  114.6 KB
    Does anyone know what this means? Is this a replacement block? Why isn't there at least the wrong VIN there? Assuming it's not the original block, how would I determine what it is or what it was from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by awakened; 02-26-2016 at 10:52 PM.

FEP Power Member

The next step is to check the casting numbers for correct year range and possibly date code. I'm sure someone here can get you in the ball park on that info. Wrong date and casting would confirm its been replaced.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Where are they located? Are they accessible to read with the engine in the car and all accessories on?

FEP Power Member

Try this link. I believe the info is cast into the lifter valley, irc.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...t=Roller+block
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I thought that the blocks were just date coded? Never seen a fox body with its Vin stamped on the block. Of course I never had a fox body original enough to have it's original block either.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

The only casting mark I see in the lifter valley is "YY". What does that signify?

Engineering number and date code are on passenger side of block, above oil pan rail.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    I thought that the blocks were just date coded? Never seen a fox body with its Vin stamped on the block. Of course I never had a fox body original enough to have it's original block either.

Jess
    VIN stamp on the block/trans case was universal by government "request" starting in '68. A non-stamped block like the one in question could be a service replacement block. If a block was replaced under warranty, the dealer was technically supposed to stamp the VIN in the new block, but this seldom happened.

I thought the same.... always was told that there was not a true "numbers matching" other than casting date codes, etc. Does anyone really have the VIN stamped on the block? I believe I have the original block for my 85 capri and will check it out. Where should a person look for the VIN if in fact it would have been stamped on?
    1985 Capri
    347 (Baker Engineering built, Dart block, GT40x, RPM air-gap, Mahle pistons, custom cam...)
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Cougarmanjr View Post
    I thought the same.... always was told that there was not a true "numbers matching" other than casting date codes, etc. Does anyone really have the VIN stamped on the block? I believe I have the original block for my 85 capri and will check it out. Where should a person look for the VIN if in fact it would have been stamped on?
    Yes, all three of my 84 GTs had a partial VIN on the blocks and transmissions. It is on the rear of the block behind the intake.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Cougarmanjr View Post

Yes, all engines have the "catwalk frame horn" VIN stamped on the block...that is in essense what numbers match is.

On Foxes, the catwalk is the upper strut channel section from the A piller to the nose of the car. You pull the plastic wheel arch liner out, and the frame horns have the partila VIN number for the chassis. I got mine by using a digitial camera and a mirror, and then zooming it up in Paint, flipping the image on my 42 inch computer screen monitor, and then reeding it off.

here are the Flipped and Rotated Passenger side Mustang photo confirming the buck code is in line with the engine number.See how it lines up with the original engine number

on my 81 Mustang Frame horns was R101037, and on the block, the same R101037 number for a B code in line six.

Engine is BR101037

Detail is Stamped = 2
    Date Code = O116Y,
    Small Code= 2J213,
    Engine Code and partial VIN No = BR101037

See

Its stamped on the drivers side for in line sixes, but on the passenger side for V8'S. The issue is that when a block is replaced, it has to have the new VIN restamped, or the new service blocks number transfered over. The block lookes like it might be able to be etched, and managluxed to determine if its another block number from an in service block. If you were worried, a stollen block number is still able to be found by mag partical testing as the grain structure is changed when stamped.

Yes, several members here have posted their 5.0L and 2.3T blocks and T-5 transmissions that have the partial VIN stamped on them.

The VIN on 2.3T block is here:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...5&d=1341285394

The VIN on 5.0L block is here:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...2&d=1250858199

The VIN on T-5 transmission is here:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...5&d=1251770629
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags