Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Quote Originally Posted by chazman View Post
    BTW, any recommendations for a clutch kit? LMR has one, but a couple on Rock Auto are way cheaper.
    Car looks really great after the work you've put into it.

Clutch kits are an interesting one.

Some of the other members here have found that going to an 86+ 10.5" kit and swapping out the existing 10" only worn out flywheel for a new one from Autozone in the 10.5" form gives good results. Its a lot lighter. 9 lbs less rotating mass translates into better performance. Its also way cheaper and readily available. Also the 10.5" clutch kits are readily available while the 10" are harder to come by and seem to cost more.

This is a little different situation as if I am not mistaken the car has an SROD 4-speed and not at T5 5-speed. With that, there are a few things to watch out for. Will a 10.5" clutch fit with an SROD bellhousing? I am not sure what the clutch is like in an 85 with a 10" that goes in front of a T5 vs the 10" clutch that goes in front of an SROD nor do I have an SROD bellhousing to look at.

What I found looking around a bit is that the SROD and the Tremec TKO and a few other transmissions share an extremely similar bellhousing. I know you can flip/flop between T5 and TKO without changing flywheel and pressure plate. The main difference there is the 10 spline T5 vs 26 spline TKO.

With this particular car I can't remember for certain what year ford changed from 28oz imbalance to 50oz. Most definitely key to know that and shop accordingly if you do decide to do some changes in interest of parts costs or improvements.

Personally I'd go as main-stream as I could while keeping to your cheapest options. A clutch for an 86-2001 has a lot more years of life ahead in the supply house than one that ends in 85, unfortunately.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Yeah, I too was wondering if going to later 10.5" clutch and flywheel would be a drop in. I'm all about KISS.

Regarding the SROD, if I wasn't an originality nazi, I'd swap that for a T5. The SROD feels like your driving a T5 minus 3rd gear.

I'd research it a little bit for sure. It might be cheaper and better if it works.

Less rotating mass when that motor drops several thousand RPM when you shift is tons easier on the transmission and everything too.

For you physics guys out there -- you're swinging a 22 lb sledge instead of a 30.

Yes you have definitely brought out the best in your 82! Why sell it? Just drive it and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    Yes you have definitely brought out the best in your 82! Why sell it? Just drive it and enjoy it!

A couple other cars have caught my eye and figured I'd put it up and see what happens. For example, I don't get why Fox convertibles are so CHEAP, even low milers. Way cheaper than hatches or notches. Some are hard to resist, but one car would have to go for another one to come. Plus, I get satisfaction from taking cars that need some love and bringing them to the next level. Once that's done, I start looking for my next victim.

I'll probably just put this one away for the winter and drive it next Spring, though. Enjoy it a bit and see what's what, then.
    Last edited by chazman; 11-01-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Beautiful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow looks like manage to get it sold!

Yes. And it's new owner is in this thread.

Nice! Is the new owner going to introduce themselves here?

I’m the new owner. I have been on FEF for a while. Just been absent a few years. I sold my last four eye a few years back and bought a 93. But I’m back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations! Where are you located? Have you picked up the 82 yet? Would love to see a picture of it beside your 93.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    Congratulations! Where are you located? Have you picked up the 82 yet? Would love to see a picture of it beside your 93.
    Picked up today. It was 33 degrees here, probably the coldest temp this car has ever been exposed to.

Awesome

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678