Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What a super cool piece of history!

Mr. Van Tune. Thanks for all your great work over the years! Please get your old job back. The current staff at M/T is SO anti-Ford, it's unreadable. If it's not a Veedub or Honda, they hate it.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Mustang Marty: Very cool to hear that you remember my Mustang from the old days, and still have the magazines!

We got tons of fan mail for the Mustang (and the three-car shootout) at the magazine. If you recall, in the articles, we asked the readers to submit their ideas for mods to the cars. Was fun to read the comments and post them on the bulletin boards in our offices. The Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge rivalry was on big time, among the readers and our staff.

The mods that each one of us did to our cars was carried on with as much secrecy as possible. That was tough to do, with our three offices right next to each other in the PHR building, and I remember trying to sneak into the other guys' offices when they were gone to see what parts had shown up. I'm sure they did the same thing.

It wasn't until we met up at the track for the next testing installment that we saw what had been done to the other cars. Lots of smack talking was part of the day. Good times, and all in good fun about the smack talk, but we were each very serious about trying our hardest to beat the other two cars. There might have been a small amount of cheating going on, but I won't ever swear to it...ha!

I see by your signature that you've owned some cool Mustangs. Let me know if you'd like to add my GT to your list.
    Van

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Cool car and story! Good luck with the sale!

Hope you don't mind but I have a few questions about that Holley Street Dominator intake and carb combo I'm hoping you could answer.

Is the Edelbrock carb on any type of spacer?
    Did the stock Holley 4180c ever get installed on the Holley intake and if so can you opine (lol) please?
    Does it seem like either carb would fit on top of the intake without cutting the hood?
    Is that one of the "Z" model (Duntov "designed") intakes or a "standard" type? I've got a "Z" type with EGR provisions in a box that I've thought of using compared to a Weiand X-CELerator 7515 but haven't bolted either up yet. Honestly the only "talk" I've ever seen about the Holley Street Dominator was in an old shootout done by Tom Wilson in Super Ford Magazine July 1988. https://web.archive.org/web/20080704...es/intakes.htm
    Hi qikgts: Thanks for your questions. Here's the best that I can recall, off the top of my head...

1. The Edelbrock has an EGR plate under it. The car is currently running emissions equipment, with two cats and PCV, but no smog pump. My friend whom I bought the car back from was able to get it to pass smog testing in Nevada, where he lives. I believe there's more power available with it all removed, and many states have a 25-year (or similar) limit to be able to get emissions exemptions, but not Nevada or CA.

2. We did not use the stock Holley once we began the mods.

3. Yes, the Edelbrock (and I think that most any) carb, even with the EGR plate, fits well under the hoodline.

What's interesting is that on my car, back in 1983 when I pulled off the underhood sound mat and removed the hood scoop to open it up, the hood was already open underneath the scoop. It's a stamping in the sheetmetal, not a shop job, and has a raised lip around the edges of the opening. It baffled me at the time why Ford would do that strangely-shaped opening, but later figured that it was in preparation for the taller 1985 fuel injection intake. Do other '83s have this same opening? Perhaps someone here can answer that.

4. It is a standard type manifold. No EGR provisions. Thus the EGR plate.

5. Tom Wilson is an old buddy of mine. Good guy.

Hope this helps!
    Van
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PHR MAG; 09-07-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    What a super cool piece of history!

Mr. Van Tune. Thanks for all your great work over the years! Please get your old job back. The current staff at M/T is SO anti-Ford, it's unreadable. If it's not a Veedub or Honda, they hate it.
    Hi ZephryEFI,
    I really appreciate your thanks and your following my work over all these many years. That's why we do this stuff---it's all for the readers. I've always told my staffers to remember that, above all. "Have fun, go fast, do cool sh*t, and bring the readers along with us." I will always remember my school years of sitting in the back of math (or any other boring) class, and reading car magazines behind my propped-up notebook. Our readers were lots of guys just like me. I never forgot that.

Except for Hemmings, I don't read the car mags much anymore. So much has changed.

In a perfect world, it would be fun to have those jobs again, and do it all over again. But these days, I just have fun playing with my own cars. I've got a '68 Shelby GT500KR with an aluminum 427 side-oiler, and a Kirkham Cobra also with an aluminum 427, that I track a couple times a year. I still bleed Ford blue.

Best regards,
    Van

Whoa C Van Tune!! I remember reading your articles back in the day! This car makes me smile as it and others like it that led me to purchasing my first new fix back in 88. Thank you for offering it to this community first.

Hi Saleen428,
    Thanks for your post and kind words. The little red Mustang still makes me smile too, after all these years. Great memories.

I am so glad that my articles had a lasting influence on you and your passion for Foxes. I definitely want it to go to a worthy new home. I thought of this site first.

Best regards,
    Van
    Last edited by PHR MAG; 09-08-2019 at 12:44 PM.

FEP Supporter

Thank you for the details Van. Again, good luck with the sale!

Oh, and I believe the 83-84 cars that got the scoop were cut out from the factory. It seems the cut out was done to clear the larger air cleaner that was on the turbo cars.
    '85 GT

Oh, and I believe the 83-84 cars that got the scoop were cut out from the factory. It seems the cut out was done to clear the larger air cleaner that was on the turbo cars.
    Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Okay, that makes sense. Would be interesting to see one of these on an original turbo car, to check it out.

That is indeed a factory cut hole. This car pictured below has that same hood with the (blocked off) reverse hood scoop and the hole cut out under it identical to the one you pictured. The Turbo cars in those years were EFI so the air cleaner was like it is in a modern car today, down low behind the headlights. There was no clearance issue with the air cleaner. MAYBE they thought the aluminum intake Elbow might have an issue, I am not sure. That hood was used on the 1983 V8 GT (not on the V8 GT in 1984) and the '83-'84 (and technically '84 1/2) model Turbo cars.

As you can see, even the intake elbow is well below the hoodline so IDK????

Last edited by homer302; 09-08-2019 at 02:24 PM.

FEP Supporter

Welp, I just realized my explanation for the mystery hole was WRONG. There was no air cleaner on top of those 83-84 turbo engines. It was located up front on the passenger side. STEEEERIKE!

Maybe it was actually a carryover from the earlier turbo engines with the large air cleaners like the '79 for example, but the hood was changed for '83 and the EFI intake for the turbo appeared then too so... perhaps they cut the hole anyway but didn't see the EFI intake coming for the turbo or maybe the EFI turbo intake sits up high enough to need it?

Yet another unknown foxism... lol

EDIT: Homer and I must have been typing at the same time... #$%@!*&^
    '85 GT

homer302, thanks for the pix and explanation.

A long ago GF of mine had a '79 Mustang Turbo, back in the day, but I can't recall what that setup looked like. That car had a two-barrel carb, so was it the original source of the cut-out hood? Thoughts?

Interesting that the hood on an '83 5.0 is a one-year anomaly for a V8. Kinda cool.

Thanks again.
    Van

Another thought:

Because we know that different components of a car are designed in different time periods, with bandaid "fixes" used to correct a problem later on (especially back then) I think it's entirely possible that the body engineers were given a "be sure it fits" edict before the powertrain and chassis engineers finalized the as-installed height of the turbo engine...and thus the hood cut-out was put into production but never actually needed.

At the very least, it makes for an easy opening up of the hood scoop to get outside air. Thanks Ford!

You do have a point...sort of. That hole did exist before 1983 on earlier cars both Turbo and V8. BUT (ain't there always a BUT?)....The 1979-1982 hood won't fit on the 1983-1984 cars. So without question, the hood is different. Period. For what it's worth, that reverse hood scoop was only on 1983-84 1/2 models, regardless of the hole in the hood. The car you have is an '83 so my post only considered the 1983-84 hoods. BUT I think there is a pretty good chance that hole is the same shape and in the same place in both style of hoods. But it wouldn't make sense for them (has that ever stopped Ford before though?) to continue with the hole when they redesigned the hood anyway.
    Last edited by homer302; 09-08-2019 at 04:11 PM.

So, what came first, the hood or the hole...? HA!

Are we all with the understanding that (aside from the Turbo cars) the hole (in the '83-84 hood) was only on the '83 5.0 cars...and not any of the '84 5.0s?

Just wanting to clarify.
    Last edited by PHR MAG; 09-08-2019 at 08:24 PM.

-this is so sad......
    -not only do I remember the car, but I remember C. Van Tune as well....
    lol.
    '87 Turbo Coupe - 660 mile original
    '86 Turbo Coupe - 74k mile stripper

Hey shorangerbird,
    "Sad"...uh why? Because you're as old as me, or because you don't like the car???

Please share with the rest of the class.
    Van

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12