Close

FEP Member

Default Roush 25th Anniversary Concept

Found a picture that LMR posted about rare foxbody cars. Had the 79 Pace Car, 80-81 Cobra, 84 gt350, 85-86 sage green svo "4e", 90 7 up convertible, 92 special edition convertible and the 93 cobra R. Never heard of the Roush 25th Anniversary Concept though. What car are they referring to? It isn't a four eye, but was just curious if anyone knew.

Matt

It's in the Roush collection at his shop in Livonia. Not technically open to the public per se but they let people go in there all the time if there isn't anything else going on. I have seen it a couple different times when in the area on business and they let me right in.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...OLLECTION-TOUR

Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Plavidal View Post
    Found a picture that LMR posted about rare foxbody cars. Had the 79 Pace Car, 80-81 Cobra, 84 gt350, 85-86 sage green svo "4e", 90 7 up convertible, 92 special edition convertible and the 93 cobra R. Never heard of the Roush 25th Anniversary Concept though. What car are they referring to? It isn't a four eye, but was just curious if anyone knew.

Matt
    And apparently LMR defines "rare" differently than most people. Over 5,000 GT350s, over 10,000 Pace cars, over 10,000 SVOs but then they say only the green ones??? etc. The only thing on there that could even be considered REMOTELY "rare" would be the '93 R. This Roush car isn't "rare" either, it's a one-off dream concept that was never made. Sounds like someone at LMR needs something to do. It's like partially a list of COLORS you don't see every day and then partially option packages that are different than the most common ones, then one actually rare car and then one car that's not even a real car.
    Last edited by homer302; 02-15-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Roushes planned 25 aniversary Mustang...

Yeah baby, it needed to be medium rare, so Jack turned up the heat on this little Pony...almost a 400 hp stampede...

Its wasn't the first proposed Red Racin'Rare Rouge...that award goes to this much higher hp 351W maine V8 engined beast...

That engine above in Jays book is posted here in its splendor

It was in an 82 Red Ak Miller RS Capri with 351W conversion, and then twin CA 425 Impcos for 920 cfm, and two E series converters able to flow 650 horsepower, and two nice big turbos. The kit was a 1982, I think, gave 15 mpg US highway.

Quote Originally Posted by hjhnracing View Post
    The Red 1981 Capri actually belongs to my buddy. It was Ak Miller's personal vehicle back it the early eighties. I had a chance to buy it for $7000 but passed on it and bought a brand new 1983 Capri L 5.0L which I still own today. The 81' Capri is a twin turbo 351w with an AOD running 12 PSI of boost on propane. I ran a similiar setup but with a 302 and single turbo. I am currently building a 347 with a turbo but switched back to gasoline just recently.

LMR, you guys rock

So does this article

http://themustangsource.com/fast-fox...1-killer-8960/

By Mark Kovalsky - June 17, 2014
    One of the last things I worked on before leaving Roush was a 5.8L Twin-Turbo 1988 Mustang. Ford’s then SVO (Special Vehicle Operations) group commissioned the car. They had learned about Chevrolet’s plans to introduce the Corvette ZR-1. Rumors put the price of the new Corvette variant at about $60,000. It was rumored to be one of the fastest production cars of its time. SVO wanted to sell this Mustang for $30,000, and have it fast enough to outrun the ‘Vette. This ZR-1 killer was also going to be the 25th Anniversary Special.
    The teardown revealed six teeth missing from second gear. I had someone in the car with me who verified I didn’t miss the gear. The T-5 just couldn’t handle the torque.

We built the car in a very short period. To save time, the engine wasn’t dynoed, but 375 hp/390 lb-ft is a conservative rating. All that grunt was shoved into the car with a T-5 transmission. The production plan was to use a T-56, but there wasn’t one available for another year or so.

The T-5 wasn’t up to the task. One time I did a WOT from a standing start. At 5,000 rpm I sidestepped the clutch, scurried up first, grabbed second, dumped the clutch, and started to floor it again.

I made it about halfway down when there was a loud BANG and I had no power going to the wheels. I coasted about a half-mile right back into the shop. The trans locked up as I was coasting through the doorway. The teardown revealed six teeth missing from second gear. I had someone in the car with me who verified I didn’t miss the gear. The T-5 just couldn’t handle the torque.

If this was the car that was going to mark the Mustang’s silver anniversary, it was going to do it in a blur. It ran a low 12-second quarter-mile, and it couldn’t hook up until just before the 2-3 shift. I put the first 2,000 miles on the car developing the tune. By the time I was done, the doors didn’t fit right. The chassis had twisted. The Fox body, even with all of SVO’s chassis stiffeners, wasn’t up to handling that much power. I believe that’s why this car never made it to production.

During the development process Jack Roush asked to drive the car. After his drive, he came to my desk and asked me if I was crazy enough to ride with him in the pouring rain. I asked if I really had a choice. He said “no”.

Because 25 years have passed, I believe the statute of limitations has expired, so I can tell you the next part: We were driving the 25th Anniversary Special in a rain that was so hard I often couldn’t see the end of the hood. Jack took me for a ride on an expressway demonstrating an engine miss at 100 mph. I told him if he got me back alive I knew how to fix that. He did, and I fixed it.

This car still exists. It is in the Roush Museum. I visited the museum several years ago. The boosted Mustang was in a line with other cars. It had a small plaque showing that it was a 5.8L Twin-Turbo. I filled in all of my own memories.

They move the cars around inside every now and then.
    Can see that 25th anny behind B1 in the video.
    http://www.roushperformance.com/video/bullitt-one.html

Open house/car show several times a year, including the Thursday before the two NASCAR races in Michigan.
    Other times call for info. Someone is always there minding the store.

Oh dear. I shouldn't read this stuff.

Some of those 25 Anniversary statements...crazy! Especially when SVO guru Micheal Kranfuss had already solved the drivetrain strength conundrum in 1983! With a Jack Roush race engine listed as being 320 hp, but ending up a 390 hp roller cam engine by 1985

This was the gearbox solution, four cars used it

the 1973 BMW CSL homolgation gearbox, then rolled out in many BMW's from then till the 265 trans came out,
    the 1976 Volvo 264 M50 4 speed based M51,
    the works M51 equiped 1983-1987 Volvo 242 GT/242 Turbo/244 Turbo gearbox
    the 1983-1985 SVO Mustang GT 5.0 4V Race homolgated gearbox (a five speed since day one)

All the info was actually in Modern Motor Magazine April 1985, the "Dick Johnson Group A Mustang" article.

Putting nearly 400 hp and lb-ft into a T5 gearbox and a stock chassis just wouldn't have happened. Ford had the technology to address those two problems in 1983....

Ford via SVO ALREADY had in 1983 access to gearboxes that allowed 390 hp to hit the pavement, and the convertable torsional strengthening package, which was primarily to reduce scuttle shake, but added strength racking strength required when putting 400 lb-ft through a uni body.... .

It was Ford SVO's Micheal Kranfuss who organised the use of the European Touring Car Challenges BMW 260 Getrag gearbox in its 260 to eventual 390 hp 5.0 Mustang race cars. Due to a lack of time to homolgate all the parts, Jack Roushes Group A engine for 1983 was sadly down 60 hp on the 320 quoted for 1983, but when landed in Australia, the three or four cars ex SVO were all equiped with the bulletproof 262 stamped 260/265 series Getrag 5 speed, which BMW racing used from 1973-1975 in the versions of the 3.0/3.5 CSL up to 430 hp.

It was Michael Kranfuss who decided in it, rather than the ex Aston Martin 73-76 Cologne Capri ZF 5 speed. These first international Group A Mustangs used the M51 version of the 260 BMW Getrag gearbox. The Group A Mustangs from 1983 in the first European Touring car challange 4-bbl GT 5.0 Hatch.

It was then used for the next 5 years in New Zealand and Australian toring car racing. Not only that car, but the close ratio M51 gearbox was also used in the 1983 Volvo 242 Turbo “flathood” Group A spec, a race only homolgaation version, a car that in race form started of with 340 hp, but that could pump out well over 400 hp from its 2.1 or 2.3 liter engine.

The last part of the puzzel, well, the 1984-1985 L- code Diesel 2.4 LSC and Continental used BMW engine, ZF 4 stage overdrive gearbox with a drive shaft that matched the Getrag 260's rear extension housing, that of the ZF 4HP22.

Again, the Mustang convertable chassis had a strethening kit, and so did Saleens Mustangs.

The 260 case German made gearbox could be swappeed between a dog leg race gate and a normal Doug Nash 5 speed design just by ticking the Volvo or BMW M51 262 or 265 factory and race options. You could have a close ratio 2.33, 1.68, 1.35, 1.15, 1.00, (what Dick Johnson and Bruce Anderson and other Mustang 5.0 racers used for the 600 mile endurance races). or the other wider ratios,

eg The XJ 40's 3.55, , 2.04, 1.39, 1.00, and 0.76:1 gear set was shared in the six cylinder versions, but also in the following rare Lister-Jaguars

That same 1973 Getrag gearbox suddenly got put out to market with the 1988 Jag, which Ford had planned to pick up. Lister used the 260 behind its 483 hp 7 liter 1987 on wards Lister Jaguar XJ-S. The last 4 speed manual V12 Jaguar was made in 1975 with the old Moss derived unit, but from 1987 to about 1993, 90 Listers used upgraded Getrag 5 speed Getrags. They weren't perfect, they were a weak link in the later Lister Storm race cars, but it was an excellent 400 hp gearbox, strong, and cheaper than the ZR-1 ZF gearbox.