Close

Default Budget engine swap/regasket

Figured I go ahead and ask this here to cover my bases.

I’m currently collecting the parts and gaskets to drop my 96 exploder 5.0 into my LTD and just curious if there is a good list of things to replace while the motor is out of the car.

Car will be a fair weather cruiser/(future) bruiser.

Buying all the good Fel-Pro gaskets.
    So far I have:
    Intake manifold set (96 explorer)
    Oil pan gasket (1 piece steel/rubber)
    Thermostat
    Timing cover/Water pump (86 Mustang)

Items I know I still need:
    Oil pan
    Oil pump/pick up
    Oil pump shaft
    Head gaskets (9333-pt1)
    Sensors (TPS/IAC/ACT/ECT/EGR)
    Head bolts (ARP)
    Valvesprings (Alex’s Parts)
    Timing chain (Cloyes)
    Throttle body gaskets
    Throttle body bolts
    Timing cover/Water pump bolts

That’s what I can think of as a first timer reading what others have done. Definitely on a budget, but if any of you experienced guys can chime in with some things you’ve learned it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wdanison43103; 01-12-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

96 being a gt40 3 bar head. I would recommend decking the heads for more compression. Oh and a well matched camshaft
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Sounds solid. Of course you'll have new fluids to factor in as well. I'd put new plugs in it while easily accessible.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    96 being a gt40 3 bar head. I would recommend decking the heads for more compression. Oh and a well matched camshaft
    Really just trying to regasket and avoid the machine shop for now, and I’ll be running a stock 86 ho cam

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Sounds solid. Of course you'll have new fluids to factor in as well. I'd put new plugs in it while easily accessible.
    New fluids, plugs, wires, and cap and rotor will be added too

Do you have a distributor/ignition?

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Do you have a distributor/ignition?
    Yes I do

Might as well do the rear main and front main seal too.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Might as well do the rear main and front main seal too.
    Already got the rear main when I ordered the parts for the t5 swap, and got the good felpro timing cover set with all the seals and stuff

Take off the oil pan and remove the rear main cap when you do the rear main seal, otherwise don't bother.

Cale

One piece rear mains come right out with a small straight blade and hammer. Once they start turning they come out. The other thing I've used is sheetrock screws and makeshift slide hammer.

reinstallation is easy. Buy two seals. Stack them. Use one to pound the other one in.....

It has worked for me every time.