Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What have you done to your house lately?

With the drought conditions here in San Diego, me and the Mrs gave it some thought. Hire a guy to roto-til our front and back yards. No more grass..... No need to water. Now, last year it was kinda warm here and there was no form of shade for my kids to play in the back yard. This summer will be different.

18' x 18' stamped, stained and sealed concrete patio for the kids to play on AND a pergola will be installed within the next week or so.

Sorta, kinda like this but in white:

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I like the stamped concrete idea. Sorry, but here in this area we have had a crazy amount of rain that our yard is totally mushy. My one new peach tree from too much water died or is in shock. My next project is a concrete or shelf stone deck.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gtstang View Post
    My one new peach tree from too much water died or is in shock.
    could be worse! my peach tree is doing great, but the damn thing produces pears.

Thanks Home Depot.

_______

for home projects, i recently refinished our basement bathroom. i moved all the pipes away from the exterior walls, learned "rough framing", drywall, tile grout, etc.. the tile came out great, my friend that does remodeling said i have the straightest grout lines he's ever seen. he also said i'd get fired from his job because i'm too slow.

i managed to reverse bevel all the tiles where they meet the tub and have a perfect .025 - .035 gap all the way around. i guess i spend too much time working on engines. LOL

now i've moved on to tiling the basement bedroom. i'm about 1/2 way through laying the tile. girlfriend says no car projects until the room is finished. (i'm on thin ice right now. i had a beer with lunch a couple weeks ago, came back to work and ordered $3k worth of engine parts)
    Last edited by rob342; 05-13-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

That looks nice. I decided to buy a new TV for the living room last year with my Christmas bonus (we didn't have a single flatscreen in the house). I wanted a 40 something inch, somehow we ended up with one much bigger that didn't fit in the room. That led to selling the living room suit and buying a sectional and while the room was empty I painted it, put up new trim and put down hardwood laminate flooring. So now I have an all new living room all because we upgraded the TV.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I spent three months this winter renovating our entire upper floor turning our three bedroom house into a two bedroom house. The third bedroom was wasted unused space, so I enlarged the en-suite and walk in closet and made the master bedroom much larger and the spare bedroom a little bit larger. Also replaced the furnace and hot water tank with power vented ones so I could eliminate the flue going up through the house and not have to work around it for the new floor plan.

Cool stuff here! We were going to put a pergola on our deck we added last year, but when I found out the pergola costs about as much as the deck did, we decided that money would be better spent elsewhere. We're in a pretty new development, and the yard has jack squat for trees, bushes, etc, so we want to add a bunch of each. If you want to get decent sized ones, they aren't cheap. I'm pretty impatient, and coming from a '50s era neighborhood, I'm used to a little privacy in my own yard. There is NONE where I live now.

Also, we're going to add a fence enclosure under the deck to store our larger yard equipment to get it the hell out of our tiny garage. I can't wait!!!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Over the winter we did some work on our downstairs so the wife and I can have our bedroom and bath on the first floor. We aren't getting any younger and better to plan for the future while I'm still able to do the work.

We had a good sized open area that served as the living room that also had a pool table in it. We moved the pool table to the basement then built a partition wall to separate the area into two rooms, a living room and our bedroom. We wanted this to be one and done so we gutted the rooms completely, moved one window and installed two new ones, then put up new drywall, new ceilings and floors.

Just off the new bedroom we had a half bath, so that was converted to a full bath which meant we had to move a partition wall to make it bigger. It's a good thing I retired at the end of November or I'd have never got it all done before the weather got nice and I lost the desire to do inside work!

I've got a couple outside projects that need done but right now I'm taking a break.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

it's spring (but 90 degrees) so it's outside work right now.

Spring clean up was removing a bunch of dead/dying bushes replaced them with stuff not as busy, spreading 30 yards of mulch. I've now cut 4 times and replaced my RPV for the sprinklers

oh, and I've been shooting groundhogs with a pellet gun. They killed my shrubs and were digging under a wall that began leaning

Your new patio looks really good -- and a pergola will be nice, too. Thumbs up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    What have you done to your house lately?
    Concerning the house up in Arkansas, I've called the contractors to get some bids on some projects. I bought the house because of its location. It sits on a big pond. Okay, actually it sits next to the pond -- but you get the idea.

I've been thinking about a new patio for this house -- so your idea of the stamped concrete looks pretty good to me.

I also got with my neighbor to find out who he uses for a lawn company -- and hired them. That way, our lawns will be done at the same time -- and he can keep an eye on it when I'm not around. My neighbor is a retired dude, so he's always around. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
    could be worse! my peach tree is doing great, but the damn thing produces pears.

Thanks Home Depot.
    You got a defective tree. I think that you should return it.

Actually -- when I read what you wrote -- I got the image in my mind of me taking a tree back and telling them that it produces the wrong fruit. Thank you ---- 'cause I haven't laughed this hard in a long, long time. Sadly enough though, I can actually see me taking the tree back and giving them that explanation.
    Last edited by dburdyshaw; 05-27-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Nothing, I'm always doing stuff to other peoples houses...but at least I get paid for it..

A Craftsman style Living room I did, a pic during & finished..

Last edited by onetrackrider; 05-13-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

All I did was start cleaning the garage. The only problem is, you can't tell anything was removed and thrown out or taken to the storage shed.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Got rid of the bank!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    Nothing, I'm always doing stuff to other peoples houses...but at least I get paid for it..

Now there is some nice work. Is that a basement? I like the idea of the bookcases flanking the TV. What kind of a heating unit is that?

I've spent the last 2 weekends spreading mulch and planting stuff. This weekend I'm replacing a bunch of broken vinyl siding and replacing cables on one of the garage doors. Lots of other stuff to fix in the coming weeks. Have an appointment with a realtor next week... Time to sell and downsize. Property taxes and heating oil are killing me and I don't need anywhere near this big a house with 1 kid.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Mostly wrote checks to other people for: roof, gutters, full exterior paint.

Did mow yesterday, does that count?
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Since I bought the house in Arkansas, I have planted trees there ---- a few each year ---- including about 10 this year (from some Japanese Maples to Oak Trees).

My commercial: I would like to encourage everyone to plant trees. They are important to our planet -- and (IMHO) they make a house look better. I have belonged to the Arbor Day Foundation since I was a teenager -- and I believe in their work. We now return to our regular programming.

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Mostly wrote checks to other people...
    Ain't home ownership grand?
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    Now there is some nice work. Is that a basement? I like the idea of the bookcases flanking the TV. What kind of a heating unit is that?
    Thanks, just a little some thing I threw together..lol...I think the bookcases make the wall but it was a hard fought battle convincing my brother in law
    but me & the sis won...It's a split level & it's a wood burning fire place, don't know the brand but it kicks out the heat..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post

Wow, looks good Matt.

Same with the stamped concrete Marshall!

I had to re-sod my back yard again and did it last weekend. It did not winter well after laying it in late August last year. I'm sure my two dogs had some effect on that. At least it came up really easy. If it doesn't take this year I may go with concrete!

I'm in the process of building a 40' x 70' addition off the back of my house. I'll have a new 40' x 40' living room with a 20' x 30' office area and a 20' x 10' parts storage area. The ground floor will be 2800 SF of garage space with a 20' x 20' open area for a 4 post lift.

Yesterday was the surveyors and stump grinding getting ready to modify my existing septic field. Taking quotes on the foundation / slab plus replacement of the upper portion of the old driveway that will connect into the new portion in front of the new garages. There will be three double garage doors in addition to the two singles that drive under the house.

I also already have most of the equipment to build a paint booth. Here are a few before and after pics of the back yard at this point. The second pic is about last year at this time. The trees came down on 4/23/15.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

This is 4/23/15. I have cleared even more of the vines / undergrowth plus the stump grinding. The logs left on 4/28. The tall stumps have been left for the bulldozer to dig out where the foundation and driveway will be soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Ken P; 05-14-2015 at 09:45 PM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Deck deconstruction started today. All the railings, gates, hand rail on the steps, and the long seating bench on the side are gone. I've saved any of the good stuff to re-use for garage shelves, larger new workbench, and the walls of a new pantry in the kitchen area. The old split and squirrel damaged stuff will get burned in my 55 gallon drum.

I hope I haven't shut down yet another thread...
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Hey Ken, that's what I call a big project you have going there. Keep us up to date on the progress as I for one can watch other people work all day! And pics, God we love pics!

I salivate like Pavlov's dogs just thinking about the size of the garage area you're going to have. After all there's no such thing as a too big garage.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

ragtopjr

Default Sold it!

Homeless as of June 2nd.... Not sure if thats good or bad yet....

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Hey Ken, that's what I call a big project you have going there. Keep us up to date on the progress as I for one can watch other people work all day! And pics, God we love pics!

I salivate like Pavlov's dogs just thinking about the size of the garage area you're going to have. After all there's no such thing as a too big garage.
    Thanks I'll be posting pics from time to time. I had the first concrete / foundation guy here today to work me up a quote on the foundation and new driveway & retaining wall. Also a bunch of other stuff. Time for some Tylenols and bed.

P.S. Oak hardwood tree trunks are heavy ( 25 footers ). Dragged the last two of them out of the backyard with my truck and then moved them to the side of the driveway with just my hand truck. Did I mention tree trunks are heavy? Woof I'm tired...
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Home projects can be very rewarding and it's great to see the final results. All of your pic's above are cool to look at and I really like that Oak family room that onetrackrider constructed above. As for me, I refinished my entire bathroom two years ago and added wainscoting to the walls (after I had removed the ugly Pink tile that was all over the walls), re-trimmed the door casings and window casing, installed a new vanity/sink, built a laundry chute, painted everything and hired someone to install the one piece vinyl flooring (no seams, even where it goes into the closet). Here's a pic.

Last year I renovated my basement family room and cut the dark Brown paneling in half and added the molding to the top of it to mimic wainscoting. I also reinstalled all new sheetrock on the upper half of the walls, sanded/primed/painted everything, and then I hired someone to install the drop ceiling, and hired another guy to install the carpeting. Here's a pic.

As for this year, I'm taking time off from house projects of that magnitude. However, within the past two weeks I have spread 5 yards of mulch, planted some more Hastas and added some Hyacinths to my front mulch beds, turned on my irrigation system, fixed my leaky skimmer in my pool, installed the pump, and opened it early (I wanted to take care of the leak before the hot weather came in). Thus, we're now able to enjoy this for the season.

Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 05-17-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast