Close

Default Heater Hose Pics

Anyone have pics of their heater hose routing for a 1985?

I've replaced the hoses and it just does not look right. I used the Hi-miller kit.

Curious more how the hoses run from the heater core.

Thank-you.

Joe

My old '85 GT Vert, original 36k miles. Should help

Original 15k mile GT...with air-lid in place
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

So, is there a formed hose at the heater core for the 3/4 or 5/8 outlet/inlet?

Does the 5/8 hose route over intake or over the headers?

Thank-you for the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by steam_mill View Post

Thank-you for the pics!
    The hoses are purty much straight.

They sit to the side of the valve cover.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thank-you for the pics!
    They are not formed...just slip over the appropriate connecter of the core (one is bigger so you can't cross them up) and have a clamp to tighten up.

The bigger hose curves out over the header area, not inward over the intake. You can see this in my first two pics above.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Dont forget the restrictor..

The factory used a formed hose from water pump to heater core, on the carbureted '85s.
    NOS formed hoses can still be found, for a price. For a somewhat smaller price, you can
    use a Gates 18917 hose from an '01-'02 Chevy Express/GMC Savana application.

And definitely don't forget the restrictor in the 3/4" line from intake manifold nipple to the
    heater core.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

What is this restrictor you speak of and where does it go...and where can I get one? My '82 currently is bypassed (like that when I bought it). I recently put new hoses in place for the concours correct look....just not hooked up at the pump. One of these winters I will tackle the replacement heater core
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    What is this restrictor you speak of and where does it go...and where can I get one? My '82 currently is bypassed (like that when I bought it). I recently put new hoses in place for the concours correct look....just not hooked up at the pump. One of these winters I will tackle the replacement heater core
    The restrictor, as JACook mentions...goes in the 3/4" line from intake manifold nipple to the heater core. Basically, it is an orphice that takes the line size down to about a 1/4" opening. You can buy one or get creative...some push a socket into the line. What this does is restricts flow to the heater core because at higher rpm's over time will damage the fragile heater core which is a pain to r & r.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Gents:

The reason I was asking is that I got the Hi-miller kit and it came with a fromed hose, 5/8. I could not figure out where it should go. I ended up using it on the heater core and tie-strapped the hoses together.

Yes, I the restrictor! My heater core is original - knock on wood. In fact, I have both the restrictor and since I have a joint between the formed and regular hose, the joint is actually a 5/8 to 1/2 that I modified and it acts as a restrictor too.

With respect to sowaxeman, the restrictor is located in the 5/8 hose to reduce the pressure going to the heater core. Since the heater core has a 5/8 inlet and a 1/2 exit, pressure increases. The pressure increase is not good for heater core.

The restrictor goes in the 5/8 hose, just before the heater core. I found one at the scrap yard. Heard an old socket works well too!

FEP Member

My 5.0L EFI LTD LX has a tee in the hose from the intake manifold which runs back to the intake i believe.

The water pump hose goes staight up to the heater core.
    Terry

78 Fairmont Sedan V8 - Factory black interior, factory A/C, No longer a SHO project, t/c 8.8 diff w/ 3.73LS
    85 LTD LX - Black, 5.0L CFI, crank windows
    93 Mustang LX 5.0L notch - original owner, 20k original miles
    17 F250 - My RV Trailer, projects, and car hauler vehicle

The CFI hose routing is somewhat different than the hose routing on the 4V version. On the
    CFI engines, you have an EGR cooler loop that runs from the rear of the intake, through the
    cooler, and then tees into the return hose from heater core to water pump.

The supply hose runs directly from the intake manifold nipple to the heater core, but on my
    '85 Vert, it's routed over the top of the valve cover, alongside the return.

Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Jason,

Here is a thread with the part number. Try the dealers and Green Sales shows them in stock too.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=52363

Much appreciated
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

just subn an old thread
    1985 GT with T-tops
    1989 GT vert
    1966 coupe
    1978 KZ1000 LTD
    2007 GMC Z 71
    1986 KX250

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    The CFI hose routing is somewhat different than the hose routing on the 4V version. On the
    CFI engines, you have an EGR cooler loop that runs from the rear of the intake, through the

The supply hose runs directly from the intake manifold nipple to the heater core, but on my

Hey Jeff. I changed all my heater hoses today since I changed out my heater core. I did see that the original stock hoses have slight curves but I was OK using spooled heater hose cut to length. They are not hard to route and as long as they don't kink I'mcool with off the roll hose.

However this piece of hose goes under the EGR plate and it has wild curves. I used an extra long piece of hose so I could insure it does not kink but I might like to find this hose stock if its still available.

Attachment 76885

Yes, if you notice, I did take a few liberties with the hose routing to my EGR cooler. That molded hose was
    wasted on mine. IIRC, the short 90-degree hose I used came from a Nissan, and the tee that connects it
    into the heater hose is a Dorman piece from McParts.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Yes, if you notice, I did take a few liberties with the hose routing to my EGR cooler. That molded hose was
    wasted on mine. IIRC, the short 90-degree hose I used came from a Nissan, and the tee that connects it
    into the heater hose is a Dorman piece from McParts.
    nice clean fix. I think Ill do the same. what make and model Nissan did the hose come from?

On my 84 there is a 90 degree heater hose in front of the intake. I wonder if I can use one of those.

That 90-degree hose on the water outlet is a bypass hose, to allow coolant circulation when the thermostat
    is closed. It's too large to use for the EGR cooler.

I don't remember what exactly that hose came from, because I got it out of my stash of good leftover factory
    hoses that I keep when I do engine swaps. I believe it was off a Nissan SR20 engine, and was cut off one end
    of a longer hose. But it shouldn't be too hard to find something like it.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Pulled off mine this weekend and the 3/4 looks formed.

Default added 2 more questions

DUDE! Thank you for this write up. This write up needs to be a sticky that stays at the top of the Tech section. Shoot it needs to be posted, shared, and added to every repair manual. I spent a lot of time trying to find a diagram for the hose routing and trying to figure out where in the hell that 3/8's inch hose went. Even asked on another forum and nobody knew.

CFI!!!! what the hell is that crap? I thought it was an EFI throttle body, because while looking for parts all I could find for an 85 5.0 is carburetor or EFI. In some cases the parts will go from 79-84 then 86-91.

A few more questions though.

1. So, I'm assuming I should just consider this carburated when looking for parts?
    2. The parts not listed for 1985, do I go with the 84 or 86 parts?
    3. What is the fitting in the intake with the sensor on top called, mines got a hole in the side.
    4. Whats that sensor for?

You might want to try going this route in the future. I took the heater tubes from an 98 explorer and the squiggly hoses that connect to the heater core at the firewall. and it really made things look better:
    Before:
    Name:  20180407_141126.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  103.0 KB

After:
    Name:  20180524_082454.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  112.5 KB

In the end, I had to remove the temp switch (it was from the 98 explorer.) and install a hex plug for distributor clearance. Later on, I will be converting to EDIS for ignition and it will look even better.