Close

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: My '80 Fairmont

Water pump pulley shims from Summit Racing.

Mike

Proceeding with updating the 'look' of the Fairmont. The cowl grill is already painted, but I need to paint the inside of the cowl when the weather permits. It's not black, btw.

Name:  P1370256.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  166.1 KBName:  P1370257.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  269.1 KB

Turned out nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Str8sixfan View Post
    Turned out nice!
    Thanks Grant, you painted your wheels oiled bronze? I bought this paint for another project and really liked it. That's what I used on the grill.

We had decent weather today,so I installed it.
    Name:  P1370258.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  223.0 KB
    Name:  P1370260.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  140.3 KB

That's a sharp look Gary!

That's a sharp look Gary!
    Thanks Grant. I painted the cowl vent last year with the same paint. I like it.

Nice! Now paint the window frames blackout... you know you want to...
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Nice! Now paint the window frames blackout... you know you want to...
    Hadn't thought about it, but I like it.

This is such an awesome thread!
    your car looks amazing nice job
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    This is such an awesome thread!
    your car looks amazing nice job
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Thanks Grant, you painted your wheels oiled bronze? I bought this paint for another project and really liked it. That's what I used on the grill.
    Yea it's a dark bronze metallic...I think the paint can actually says something more like oiled bronze. I'm very happy with it. Feel like it compliments the "hearing aide beige" of my Futura quite nicely!

Yea it's a dark bronze metallic...I think the paint can actually says something more like oiled bronze. I'm very happy with it. Feel like it compliments the "hearing aide beige" of my Futura quite nicely!
    The same that I used. I thought the same thing.

Been a while, so here's an update. Coated the inner cowl area with Eastwood rust encapsulator, it's similar to POR-15. Then painted the exposed part under the cowl vent with the same paint I used on the vent. I installed SVO 1.72:1 roller rockers in place of the stock ones. I had these on my shelf for a long time. I was holding off because I wanted to go to the track and do a 'before/after' comparison. But the track, Rte 66 in Joliet, Il canceled their 2020 season (covid) and now has announced the cancellation of the 2021 season also. I'm not getting any younger, so I installed them yesterday. Way easier than i had imagined, just followed the instructions that came with them. I had to shim all but one. And to my surprise they are just as quiet as the stock set-up. I also welded up the plates on the rear torque box reinforcements. And replaced a small, ~1" x 6", piece of the floor directly in front of the pass. side lower torque box. It's the only rust I've found in the floor and I hope I don't find any more.

Edit: I forgot to mention the roller rockers fit under my 'Powered by Ford' aluminum valve covers with no interference. Stock cam.
    Last edited by gmatt; 10-23-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Been a while, so here's an update. Coated the inner cowl area with Eastwood rust encapsulator, it's similar to POR-15. Then painted the exposed part under the cowl vent with the same paint I used on the vent. I installed SVO 1.72:1 roller rockers in place of the stock ones. I had these on my shelf for a long time. I was holding off because I wanted to go to the track and do a 'before/after' comparison. But the track, Rte 66 in Joliet, Il canceled their 2020 season (covid) and now has announced the cancellation of the 2021 season also. I'm not getting any younger, so I installed them yesterday. Way easier than i had imagined, just followed the instructions that came with them. I had to shim all but one. And to my surprise they are just as quiet as the stock set-up. I also welded up the plates on the rear torque box reinforcements. And replaced a small, ~1" x 6", piece of the floor directly in front of the pass. side lower torque box. It's the only rust I've found in the floor and I hope I don't find any more.

Edit: I forgot to mention the roller rockers fit under my 'Powered by Ford' aluminum valve covers with no interference. Stock cam.
    Interesting, never knew there were SVO 1.72 rockers. What year were these from? I wished I didn't run out of budget so quickly, really wanted to do some 1.7s on mine to help with the sleeper mentality (and that lame stock cam). Rt 66 huh? In 2019 my wife and I drove it from Tulsa to Amarillo and then took a New Mexico-Colorado vacation in our 2015 Mustang. Maybe this summer I can take the Fairmont down to Springfield, Mo. and we can drive towards eachother and meet!

Grant, I believe the rockers were developed for the '93 Cobra? I could be wrong. Mine were from FRPP, part # M-6564-E351. I think they were made by Crane. I don't think Ford sells them anymore, but Crane does with their own part #. Quite a few other manufacturers make pedestal mount rockers also, in 1.6:1 and 1.7:1. As far as budget, there isn't much on my car that I bought new or paid full price for. I'd like to take a long road trip with it, so yeah, maybe we could figure something out.

I was wanting to get the car done for Power Tour last year...which I was planning on driving to the STL stop, and then up to the Iowa stop. If they end up pulling that off this year, and they keep mostly a similar route, maybe that's an option.

I was wanting to get the car done for Power Tour last year...which I was planning on driving to the STL stop, and then up to the Iowa stop. If they end up pulling that off this year, and they keep mostly a similar route, maybe that's an option.
    Ya, lets keep an eye on that. Power tour segment would be cool.

I was having a hot restart issue that I ASSumed had something to do with the Fitech system. Adjusted prime shot, timing. New battery, starter. But the hot start issue persisted. Long story short: 40 year old car = 40 year old wiring. Even though the battery cables 'looked' good, they weren't. I'll admit this has prevented me from driving the car very much as I was concerned about going somewhere and having a no-start issue. It now starts at the touch of the key. I'm kinda stoked.

I was having a hot restart issue that I ASSumed had something to do with the Fitech system. Adjusted prime shot, timing. New battery, starter. But the hot start issue persisted. Long story short: 40 year old car = 40 year old wiring. Even though the battery cables 'looked' good, they weren't. I'll admit this has prevented me from driving the car very much as I was concerned about going somewhere and having a no-start issue. It now starts at the touch of the key. I'm kinda stoked.
    That is great news
    happy for you
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    That is great news
    happy for you
    Thank you. Now I have to wait for decent weather. Could be a while. Upper midwest.

Love the car! Are those vent windows operable?

Quote Originally Posted by 84 Turbo GT Vert View Post
    Love the car! Are those vent windows operable?
    Yes they work. Goofy set-up though with that twist knob. My 86 LTD has the vents with just a latch that you turn and pull. much easier to operate.

Nice weather = getting work done on the cars. Props to the guys that fabricate exhaust systems. What a pita.

Also. Finally fixed the rear package shelf and speakers after last year's tree branch incident.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast