Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane View Post
    When was the last time you seen Ford Motorsport? I had these headers sitting around for years, they look a bit crusty, but I don't think it takes away from the over all look.

I found a set of those a while back! I had them lightly media blasted and the buggers blasted off and "lost" the tag. I want to use them on our 79 V8 when we get working on it!

Name:  IMG_4324.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  89.5 KBName:  IMG_4325.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  160.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I spy a buck tag. Did you save it? Can you post it?

Attachment 109071
    Yes I have the Buck Tag, It with the other items I removed. I will take a picture and post it.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    Great work. Looks like it should be a fun ride.
    Thanks, it should be. I already have a Mustang and an F150 regular cab, but I wanted something I could take more then 1 person in and not be a boring 4 door car.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I don't believe I've ever seen an LTD LX in real life. Not recently anyway. I didn't even know about them (let alone Fairmont/Zephyr ESs) until after I'd bought my Zephyr and found LTDScott's car on Cardomain (RIP).

Fastlane, I see you're skipping most of the poor-kid-who-doesn't-know-what-he's-doing, intermediate steps i took on your car and going straight for the good stuff! Good choice!
    Yeah I do have pictures of more detailed items, but I leave that for specific fixes and try to post those in its Forum, such as the Exhaust, Suspension, etc., for the project, I wanted to show the actual build with out getting off track.

Funny I have always known about the Fairmont, it seemed to be almost as common as the "Pinto", but I didn't know anything about the Zephyr until I joined this Forum. It will now be something I will keep an eye out for.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Engine Installed and running:

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

I do need to do some body work on the passenger side doors, and the black trim needs to be painted. I am just finishing up the interior, which turned out pretty nice

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

I spy a buck tag. Did you save it? Can you post it?

Attachment 109071
    Here is the 1985 Ford LTD Buck Tag
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Had a little set back with the Fuel Pump. I had used a Fuel Pump I had used in another car, worked fine at the time, but it looks like leaving it on the shelf for a few years dried out the seals (similar to what happens to a carburetor when left sitting after running gas though it). Although I tested the Fuel pump after installing it and I could hear it engage, I wasn't able to test the actual fuel pressure until the engine was running. The engine would run fine, and was able to adjust the pressure, but once the engine was turned off, the fuel pressure drop right away.
    No big deal, other then having to drop the Fuel tank again. Lucky I only had a few gallons of gas in it. This did allow me to take a few pictures of the 8.8 Rear end.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

I had a Rear End sitting in storage for several years, it was setup with an Auburn with 3.55 Gears.

1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

The Rear End cover is a copied version of the Ford Racing, but is only around $100.00 and works just fine, it just doesn't have the Ford Racing Logo.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Alumi.../dp/B00D0X1MUQ
    I also changed out the 4 lug Axles for 5 lug, and added the caliper brackets from Northracecars.com
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

That is a nice car. I know it's a Fox, but that really turns out like a 4 door Mustang with all the mods you made! Definitely not granny's grocery getter anymore!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I didn't have any problem using 87-93 Hard Brake lines, they just needed a little bit of tweaking to fit, once done it looked like the factory installed them. I could have used the old ones off of the Mustang, but since I didn't want to deal with possible leaks with old hard brake lines, and once everything is put in place, the last thing you want to deal with is replacing the hard brake lines, so I purchased the Stainless Steel lines from LMR. The other item required is the SN95 rear brake line that runs across the rear end so it connects to the Cobra Soft Lines.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    That is a nice car. I know it's a Fox, but that really turns out like a 4 door Mustang with all the mods you made! Definitely not granny's grocery getter anymore!
    Thanks! Its still a grocery getter, it just "Gets" you there faster
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

I don't have any pictures of the Drive Shaft, but I used an Explorer 6 cly, 4 door type. I just changed out the U joints and the Flanges from the Mustang one and it fits and works like a Factory piece.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Using the 87-93 Fuel Injection Lines on the LTD are a different story, I first attempted to bend the old lines to fit, but it needed several bends and once done it looked like crap, so I ended up purchasing some new 5/16 and 1/4 line along with some tools to bend and cut the lines . This was a learning experience so I ended up wasting several feet, but the Tube is cheap (25 feet is around 25-30 dollars).
    I did use some of the Original Fuel Injection tubing, but only to where goes under the fender and connects underneath near the sub frame, from there I used new tubing. To connect the old and new tubing together I used a "Fuel line Compression Union", which worked fine, no leak issues at all. Just make sure if you use these that they are made for fuel. This type of Compression fitting it all brass, so the fuel wont break it down and cause it to leak.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-22...n+800-222+Fuel

I may end up replacing with Stainless steel Flex line, but this works fine for now.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Using the 87-93 Fuel Injection Lines on the LTD are a different story, I first attempted to bend the old lines to fit, but it needed several bends and once done it looked like crap, so I ended up purchasing some new 5/16 and 1/4 line along with some tools to bend and cut the lines . This was a learning experience so I ended up wasting several feet, but the Tube is cheap (25 feet is around 25-30 dollars).
    I did use some of the Original Fuel Injection tubing, but only to where goes under the fender and connects underneath near the sub frame, from there I used new tubing. To connect the old and new tubing together I used a "Fuel line Compression Union", which worked fine, no leak issues at all. Just make sure if you use these that they are made for fuel. This type of Compression fitting it all brass, so the fuel wont break it down and cause it to leak.

I may end up replacing with Stainless steel Flex line, but this works fine for now.
    Interesting. I scrapped the Mustang fuel line as well and went to -6 braided stainless. I'm not sure if that's too big or what, but I've never been able to get my fuel system to work well. The fuel pressure always drains back after i shut the engine off, despite going through several fuel pumps and regulators. I'm pretty sure the problem is on the pump side, so i have yet another pump waiting to go in. I just hate pulling the gas tank. I also have a vapor pressure build-up problem. I can't pump gas into the thing without it spitting back at me. SO frustrating. I know i need to fix it; I'd rather not blow up if I can help it.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Here is the 1985 Ford LTD Buck Tag
    Thanks. I'll decode what I can, if you'd like.

I'll do it in another thread so as not to muck this awesome thread up too much with geeky decoder stuff.

I actually figured out a few more things on the Chicago-built LTD/Marquis tags thank to this tag.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Interesting. I scrapped the Mustang fuel line as well and went to -6 braided stainless. I'm not sure if that's too big or what, but I've never been able to get my fuel system to work well. The fuel pressure always drains back after i shut the engine off, despite going through several fuel pumps and regulators. I'm pretty sure the problem is on the pump side, so i have yet another pump waiting to go in. I just hate pulling the gas tank. I also have a vapor pressure build-up problem. I can't pump gas into the thing without it spitting back at me. SO frustrating. I know i need to fix it; I'd rather not blow up if I can help it.
    In my case the only thing wrong was an old pump I used. Once the engine was shut off, the pressure drop right away. The new pump holds the fuel pressure for several hours after the engine is shut off, which is what it should do.

The LTD LX comes with a 20 gallon tank, and comes with the correct Vapor Valve which connects to the Vapor Canister and the fuel pump sits in the tank like the mustang. The Vapor Valve, along with the fuel return line, I believe is what keeps the fuel pressure stable, and if its not part of the fuel system this could cause problems with the pressure in the tank, but I may be wrong.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the LTD fuel sending unit to show the correct amount of fuel in the tank. Looks like one option is to modify the Mustang sending unit arm.
    Last edited by Fastlane; 02-12-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Thanks. I'll decode what I can, if you'd like.

I'll do it in another thread so as not to muck this awesome thread up too much with geeky decoder stuff.

I actually figured out a few more things on the Chicago-built LTD/Marquis tags thank to this tag.
    Yes, I would like you to post the results of the buck tag. On another post will work fine, Thanks!
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I found a set of those a while back! I had them lightly media blasted and the buggers blasted off and "lost" the tag. I want to use them on our 79 V8 when we get working on it!

Name:  IMG_4324.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  89.5 KBName:  IMG_4325.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  160.6 KB
    You can't go wrong with those old Ford Motorsport Headers, a little clean up and they work like new. You could have them Ceramic Coated to make them look pretty, but I don't think they would work any better (it might be a little bit cooler under the hood).
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

I did something similar converting my 85 to Holley TBI efi. I used a similar dorman product but it's a compression union for nylon line on one end and a compression for metal tubing on the other...that's how I connected the factory carb fuel lines to a factory efi tank. Super simple, quick and no leaks. (I cut the barbs of the end of the factory line so the unions would work)
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

In my case the only thing wrong was an old pump I used. Once the engine was shut off, the pressure drop right away. The new pump holds the fuel pressure for several hours after the engine is shut off, which is what it should do.

Will the LTD LX Fuel Tank Fit into the Zephyr? Its a 20 gallon tank, but comes with the correct Vapor Valve which connects to the Vapor Canister and the fuel pump sits in the tank like the mustang. The Vapor Valve I believe is what keeps the fuel pressure stable, and if its not part of the fuel system this may be what is causing the problem with the Zephyr.
    I'll move this to a new thread so I don't hijack yours any further.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'll move this to a new thread so I don't hijack yours any further.
    Actually I just changed the Wording in my original post, I read your post on using an LTD Wagon Fuel Tank.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    I did something similar converting my 85 to Holley TBI efi. I used a similar dorman product but it's a compression union for nylon line on one end and a compression for metal tubing on the other...that's how I connected the factory carb fuel lines to a factory efi tank. Super simple, quick and no leaks. (I cut the barbs of the end of the factory line so the unions would work)
    That works too, I could have used the original nylon fuel line and that type of compression fitting. Probably would have been a lot easier, but I was afraid of the Nylon line getting to close to the Dual Exhaust pipes. The LTD came with a single exhaust so the Exhaust was on one side, the fuel lines on the other.
    The 97-93 Fuel line is metal all the way to were it connects in the back, so I thought this would be safer and more durable.
    1985 Ford LTD LX
    1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe
    1994 Ford F150 Lightning

Now I just have to figure out how to get the LTD fuel sending unit to show the correct amount of fuel in the tank. Looks like one option is to modify the Mustang sending unit arm.
    I found the thread where I was wrestling with that.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...uge-amp-Sender

Looks like if you have your original sending unit, you can swap the resistance strip for a different one that will give the correct ohms for the '87-93 gauge. But as far as what I did, apparently, i wasn't as conscientious about posting the result of the problem for posterity as I am now.

It's been a long time, so I'm not 100% sure what this mess is, but I THINK I took a Mustang sending unit, made a bracket to mount it to so the arm faces the right way, and then i ended up having to bend a new arm out of fence wire anyway because the float was then facing the wrong way.

Ugly, but it does the job...

You may not have to deal with any of that in a sedan tank though. You might be able to just slap a Mustang sending unit on and be done.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 02-12-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast