Close

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Obviously it's your car so you should do what makes you happy. My opinion is it does not add any value to the car and it does not add any looks either. Most would argue it does just the opposite actually so I don't see the motivation to put it back. What would be the reason? Are you like super into scoring points at MCA shows or something? That would be the only reason I could think of right off hand.
    Ive only entered it in local shows, no MCA's yet. It hasnt seemed to hurt me to this point. The only big show I could potentially see entering at some point is Carlisle. I think most people I've spoken to have been in agreement with you that it makes sense just to keep it the way it is unless it really irks me.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by uglybox View Post
    Waking up a great thread!
    Can I add to the "stick togetherness" of convertible owners even though mine is a '92?
    I've read this thread from the first post to the last. I have learned quite a bit. I know that I am going to get my hands on the manual and the dvd. Scotty, thanks for your help and for sharing the link to this thread.

And now a question from me...
    Am I going to have issues with the glass rear window kit I'm going to buy? It seems like my Google search was filled with people saying that the zipper on the new window enclosure rarely matches the top. -Including the experience of the previous owner of my car. She said that the shop told her that they had to do extensive work to get the new back window in. Then they charged her $250 for labor.
    Any input?
    No one minds I have an 88 so yeah, join in!

I would say that's a fair price to install a window. It would take me about 2 hours to do it myself.
    Last edited by webestang; 02-05-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1986gt View Post
    I've posted this on another thread but since this one is directed to convertible owners I'll try here as well. What is everyone's opinion on the luggage rack that sits on the trunk on post 1985 cars? Mine had been removed off the car years ago and I'm thinking of bringing it back to factory correct, however I've had a hard time finding one in decent shape. Is it worth even pursuing this? I've been on the fence with this for awhile now

I put my rack back on my vert when I painted it in 2014.....bought the rivet set from LMR. I repainted all the pieces with trim paint first. Reason I did is I'm lazy, didn't feel like tracking down a coupe lid or welding all the holes shut. But I did put 85-6 tails on my 88.....love the look of those.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    I put my rack back on my vert when I painted it in 2014.....bought the rivet set from LMR. I repainted all the pieces with trim paint first. Reason I did is I'm lazy, didn't feel like tracking down a coupe lid or welding all the holes shut. But I did put 85-6 tails on my 88.....love the look of those.

I was getting some work done myself on the car next month. A friend of mine has a shop so I was going to drop it off and give a list of things I needed done. I figure if there ever was a time to do it, it would be now. Finding the part in working order and in good shape has been the challenge
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Only part I had to replace was the 3rd tail light. My original was toast but found one at the yard when by chance a 91-2 vert was there. I also needed the tiny screws that attach the top to the 1st and 2nd rail.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

OK guys... I need a back window in my '92.
    Best source? LMR?
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

Best source? LMR?
    http://https://lmr.com/products/83-9...nvertible-Tops
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Not sure why your link doesn't work Bryan but it doesn't for me.

Try this link out for a glass window.
    https://lmr.com/products/83-93-Musta...ible-Tops#5126

Here is the link for a plastic window, if you would even consider one.
    https://lmr.com/products/83-93-Musta...ible-Tops#9780

Yes....I still cruise this thread even though I don't have a vert anymore. I like seeing what you guys are up to.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 02-14-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Best source? LMR?
    LMR kits are really nice so I would say yes to them. CJ Pony parts had nice Vert top kits too. Both run a lot of good sales and gives discounts when you buy for your next purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post

Yes....I still cruise this thread even though I don't have a vert anymore. I like seeing what you guys are up to.
    Glad to see your still hanging with us topless folks!! Lol.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    LMR kits are really nice so I would say yes to them. CJ Pony parts had nice Vert top kits too. Both run a lot of good sales and gives discounts when you buy for your next purchase.
    LMR's discounts are kinda hit and miss sometimes. I have a LMR code for a 6% discount everyday if anyone wants it. PM me and I will give it to you if you don't have one. 6% is better than nothing LOL.

Glad to see your still hanging with us topless folks!! Lol.
    Wouldn't have it any other way LOL!
    Brock

Have a chance to get some parts from a vert being parted out, I'll be making a list so put some wants up for me.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Have a chance to get some parts from a vert being parted out, I'll be making a list so put some wants up for me.
    What year? What kind of shape , example good top?

--Bill

Hydraulic Cylinders, hoses, well liner, top boot, interior rear quarter panels.. Year/colors? And prices lol

Hydraulic Cylinders, hoses, well liner, top boot, interior rear quarter panels.. Year/colors? And prices lol

Still looking into it, a buddy at work is setting this up. More info coming soon.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Thanks guys. I have my window and manual ordered. Now the search for a good shop starts.
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

Thanks guys. I have my window and manual ordered. Now the search for a good shop starts.
    Congrats that is very cool. Share some pics of before and after you get it done.

--Bill

Ok folks, had anyone ever had the plastic back window installed in their Vert instead of the glass window? What is your opinion on it? And folks I already know all the pro-glass points of view. Looking for responses from guys that actually have ( or had) the plastic back window in their Vert, please. Thanks!

--Bill

Ok folks, had anyone ever had the plastic back window installed in their Vert instead of the glass window? What is your opinion on it? And folks I already know all the pro-glass points of view. Looking for responses from guys that actually have ( or had) the plastic back window in their Vert, please. Thanks!

The 2 worst things about plastic windows are.....1- You have to zip it out every time you lower the top. 2- It yellows quickly if you do not keep it in a garage.
    FYI....I still have the plastic window that came with the kit I bought.....I can't give it away.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

I have a plastic window. I don't mind it too badly. If I can get glass, I definitely will. But I don't have a well liner in at the moment and don't want glass anywhere near the top motor while I'm driving on these north Texas roads. And it kind of sucks to climb in the back, unzip it and zip it back, but my top is manual right now too, until I get some hoses and pistons. It works for sure though.

The reason I ask is two fold: one is so that everyone on this thread can get a good idea of whether to spring for the extra cost of a glass window or save some cash and just buy the plastic and two : for my own knowledge as my car needs a new top.
    On my car, here is where I am at. My top has three large holes in it that I currently have repaired with black gorilla tape. It's not noticeable in pics of my car but looks terrible in person. So I would like to get a new top on the car. BUT I honestly never have the top up when we take the car out. In fact, the top is down for weeks at a time during the summer months. My car is stored in a garage and is only driven on nice weekends. It only sees about 400-600 miles a year. So is it really worth the extra $100+ dollars for me to get the glass back window. I don't think the plastic will get a chance to yellow beings it will never see the sun. Haha. But I am concerned the the zipper will wear out brings you have to unzip it to put the top down. And I have heard this is a problem with tops that get used a lot. I am pinching pennies on this project as I have a lot of major repairs to do to my house this year and a son in college. I have honestly only had the top up , out of the garage, about 10 times over the past 6 years. That's why I haven't replaced the top yet. It's never up. Lol. Even debating having a canvas shop put some nicer patches on it just for that reason.

--Bill

The reason I ask is two fold: one is so that everyone on this thread can get a good idea of whether to spring for the extra cost of a glass window or save some cash and just buy the plastic and two : for my own knowledge as my car needs a new top.
    On my car, here is where I am at. My top has three large holes in it that I currently have repaired with black gorilla tape. It's not noticeable in pics of my car but looks terrible in person. So I would like to get a new top on the car. BUT I honestly never have the top up when we take the car out. In fact, the top is down for weeks at a time during the summer months. My car is stored in a garage and is only driven on nice weekends. It only sees about 400-600 miles a year. So is it really worth the extra $100+ dollars for me to get the glass back window. I don't think the plastic will get a chance to yellow beings it will never see the sun. Haha. But I am concerned the the zipper will wear out brings you have to unzip it to put the top down. And I have heard this is a problem with tops that get used a lot. I am pinching pennies on this project as I have a lot of major repairs to do to my house this year and a son in college. I have honestly only had the top up , out of the garage, about 10 times over the past 6 years. That's why I haven't replaced the top yet. It's never up. Lol. Even debating having a canvas shop put some nicer patches on it just for that reason.

If I was in your shoes Bill, I would almost go with the plastic window for the reasons you stated. No more than you have the top up, the wear on the components will be minimal. I do know from other cars, the glass window is a little better to see out of with less distortion, but IMHO the rear window in a vert is pretty much useless so that never bothered me much.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    If I was in your shoes Bill, I would almost go with the plastic window for the reasons you stated. No more than you have the top up, the wear on the components will be minimal. I do know from other cars, the glass window is a little better to see out of with less distortion, but IMHO the rear window in a vert is pretty much useless so that never bothered me much.
    I agree with Brock, in your case just go for a new top and the plastic window it comes with. I had to go with glass as my 88 sits outside now (under a cover) and I drive it all year round.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Oh, and more info on the parting out vert. It's an 87 LX 4 banger (runs but no title). I'm going to do my best to go look at it this weekend. The guy wants $500 for the whole car. So If it has enough parts on it I can make a few bucks I might buy the whole thing and part it myself.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast