Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Haha, I posted about this on my local Mustang forum and the consensus there is that I'm crazy for wanting a 351, rather than putting heads, intake, & cam on my 302.

Since I won't have the money to do anything until closer to summer '15, we'll see what I feel like doing when the time comes, I guess. I did find someone local to do my machine work though.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

You know when Dr. Kimble calls from the one armed man's apartment and says, "I just found a big piece." Well I just bought a 351 lower off of craigslist! Another piece of the puzzle that is my Daddywagon! I'll post a pic up here later and of course on my own threads.

Exciting! I'm jealous! ... Even more so! Damn, I want your car...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Haha! Not yet you don't! At least you get to drive yours! It's not like I have a 351. I am just collecting all the pieces to swap over to a 351 in the future. I'm jealous of all you guys and gals who have already pulled this off! But at the same time I have gathered all of that information from those who have come before me and made a list in my head.

Crown Victoria's did get the 351 option from 1980 onwards, and the Canuks had them as a regular option right through. That's your best sump source.

You can get the aftermarket swap pan, pickup and dipstick that fits a fox. I already have mine in, fits like a glove. I also used the BBK 1 3/4 swap headers and they also fit very nice for long tubes.

I assume the 351 that came in Crown Vics must have been CFI? Even after the 302s were SEFI?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    Haha! Not yet you don't! At least you get to drive yours! It's not like I have a 351. I am just collecting all the pieces to swap over to a 351 in the future. I'm jealous of all you guys and gals who have already pulled this off! But at the same time I have gathered all of that information from those who have come before me and made a list in my head.
    Well, I haven't pulled off a 351 or an IRS (and I even tried!). haha. And you have the GT40 lower out of the way. That's a big step, in my opinion. Whether you got a good deal or not, it's over and done with.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I assume the 351 that came in Crown Vics must have been CFI? Even after the 302s were SEFI?
    It came with neither CFI or SEFI. It came with the variable venturi carburetor or maybe a feedback motorcraft 2150 carb. Why were they carb'd I don't know

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Blog Entries

Haha, I posted about this on my local Mustang forum and the consensus there is that I'm crazy for wanting a 351, rather than putting heads, intake, & cam on my 302.

Since I won't have the money to do anything until closer to summer '15, we'll see what I feel like doing when the time comes, I guess. I did find someone local to do my machine work though.
    The 302 got me on the road, but I will not put any machining money into one. Once I build a motor not out of the junkyard, it will be a 351. Even a stock stroke 351 has more potential than a 302, and costs about the same.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

As far as I know the 351 Crown Vics were all police packages and they came with variable venturi carburetor.
    I just figured with a low production run they didn't want to make the special lowers.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Well, I haven't pulled off a 351 or an IRS (and I even tried!). haha. And you have the GT40 lower out of the way. That's a big step, in my opinion. Whether you got a good deal or not, it's over and done with.
    You and I are on very similar paths. Your car impresses me. It must be fun when someone gets in a late 70's sedan and is treated to a late 80's muscle car inside and out! I agree about the gt40 lower. I've seen them come and go on eBay and craigs. They don't last very long and command a high price usually. I think nobody picked up the one I bought because it was posted without a pic over and over. Not much of a deal, but worth it to me. I paid what they usually go for. About $400.

What are you planning on using for fuel rails?
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

You and I are on very similar paths. Your car impresses me. It must be fun when someone gets in a late 70's sedan and is treated to a late 80's muscle car inside and out! I agree about the gt40 lower. I've seen them come and go on eBay and craigs. They don't last very long and command a high price usually. I think nobody picked up the one I bought because it was posted without a pic over and over. Not much of a deal, but worth it to me. I paid what they usually go for. About $400.
    Thanks! Haha, I think the best thing about my car is when someone walks up to it thinking they know what they're looking at, and then they're like '... wait... what?'. hahahaha!

Don't you think the flexible part on the 5.0L HO fuel rails will reach on the 5.8?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by CapriGT View Post
    What are you planning on using for fuel rails?
    From what I've seen, others use the mustang rails but replace the connecting flexible tubing sections between the two rails.

I just put this pic here because I had nowhere to put it! Haha!

Don't you think the flexible part on the 5.0L HO fuel rails will reach on the 5.8?
    From what I've seen, others use the mustang rails but replace the connecting flexible tubing sections between the two rails.
    Both of these ideas crossed my mind. I guess I'll pull the upper off and check it out.
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

^ Nice bike LOL

I've always cut the rubber lines off and replaced with fuel lines about 2" longer. Just did it to my EFI 351w that's going in my 72 Bronco.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Well, there you go. From a guy who knows!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have read through many who have been going through the same issues and questions with your 351w swap.... I decided to purchase a 351w from a lightning.... had fuel rails, distributor, intake, all accessories on the front with all the brackets..... just needs a 351 swap oil pan and some engine mounts. Looks like youre well on your way to getting all of your parts together though. Good luck! excited to see the end product. It will fit under the stock hood.... with the right modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by bmf347 View Post
    I have read through many who have been going through the same issues and questions with your 351w swap.... I decided to purchase a 351w from a lightning.... had fuel rails, distributor, intake, all accessories on the front with all the brackets..... just needs a 351 swap oil pan and some engine mounts. Looks like youre well on your way to getting all of your parts together though. Good luck! excited to see the end product. It will fit under the stock hood.... with the right modifications.
    I have a lightning engine also. The fuel rails connect at the rear of the engine, and the distributor uses the remote TFI.
    1980 Capri

Yeah, I'm sure that would be the best way to go. Especially considering you wouldn't have to buy the intake separately! I'll have to watch gen1 Lightning forums when the time comes to buy.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12