Close

Default Front seat bolt holes.

So the driver side left front stud released from the floor pan today. The nut is still tight so I think either the riser cracked or the insert the stud threads into came out.

I can rock the seat front to back and the left front foot lifts up. I cant see under the carpet until I remove the seat, but I assume I'll have to have something welded. Anybody else ever have a seat stud release from the pan? I know it didnt strip out because the nut is still tight. The nut is gripping the stud, the stud is separated from the pan.

Unfortunately, yes I have seen the insert break loose from the riser in more than one case. Usually it is the outside insert. The insert takes a ton of abuse from people getting in and out of the car, the metal around it cracks and the insert comes loose. Yes, welding will be required to make a repair if the insert has broken loose.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Unfortunately, yes I have seen the insert break loose from the riser in more than one case. Usually it is the outside insert. The insert takes a ton of abuse from people getting in and out of the car, the metal around it cracks and the insert comes loose. Yes, welding will be required to make a repair if the insert has broken loose.
    Yep, that was it alright. Took it to my mechanic this morning and had the insert welded back in. Apparently it was welded once before I owned it. if it happens again next time I'll have to cut and weld the riser with new metal.

I know this has to do with forward front seat inserts/bolts, but do you happen to have subframe connectors with the cross-brace piece? This helped greatly with my seats as one of the outer brackets had broken spot welds and rough looking threads on the insert. Not to mention really stiffens up the ever-flexible convertible.

Hopefully the weld job holds up for ya.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    I know this has to do with forward front seat inserts/bolts, but do you happen to have subframe connectors with the cross-brace piece? This helped greatly with my seats as one of the outer brackets had broken spot welds and rough looking threads on the insert. Not to mention really stiffens up the ever-flexible convertible.

Hopefully the weld job holds up for ya.
    This had been welded before I owned the car. I took these pics after I pulled the seat out. I didnt get a pic of the new weld but he welded a 360 degree area so it should hold for awhile. I can see the frame metal is stressed and just broke.

Name:  Resized_20210417_103920.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  42.7 KB

What bothered me more was I found under the carpet to be drenched. Last summer I spent a few days pulling out the entire interior to lay sound deadener and I layed sheets of carpet underlayment on top of the sound proofing. I found it soaked on the driver side.

Name:  Resized_20210417_103926.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  32.0 KB

I know how the water intrudes. Its been a long journey trying to stop it. I did correct the passenger side. It doesnt leak anymore. But the driver side, right at the junction point where the door weather stripping meets the A pillar weather stripping and the run channel weather strip theres a point of failure at the A pillar weather strip. This is where its failing.

Name:  Resized_20210417_103948.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  21.7 KB

I have replaced this at least 4 times in the past 5 years. The lowest part is supposed to hang loose but should crush between the door and the A pillar when the door is closed. It keeps slipping in between and allows water to run right in there. You can see in my pic that I tried to make it stay with RTV but it just wears out and tears leaving RTV residue on the A pillar. In the second pic Im holding the flap the way its supposed to be.

I have another A pillar weather strip. I'm just racking my brain to figure out how to make it lay the correct way.

Name:  Resized_20210417_103954.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  26.0 KB

That’s frustrating. Are you not able to keep the car inside or under a carport?

I haven’t seen any convertible that didn’t leak a little bit.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe