Close

Default Buying a NH car - No Title?

I am in the process of buying an 86 Vert from NH, and the person I am buying from doesn't have a title, he claims one was not issued as he is in NH. My question is, has anyone had any dealings in NH, and is this possible? I know in MA every car gets a title! If he has lost it, does anyone know how I would get one?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Dan
    1986 GT Convertible
    1986 Mercury Capri RS (1st Project)
    2007 F150 Fx4 - Daily Driver
    2004 Harley Davidson Fat Boy
    2004 F150 Lariat (Had)
    2001 F150 Lariat (Had)
    1997 F350 (Had)
    1997 Explorer Limited (Had)
    1993 Lincoln Mark VIII (Had)
    1984 1/2 GT 350 - "The Begining" (Had)

Neither here nor there

In NH the car has to be 15 years of age or newer to have a title. Here in RI, its 10 years.
    So you will NOT get one from him, he doesn't have one unless he bought the car new.

Make sure he has:

• Current or Last Cancelled Registration
    • Bill of Sale

That should be all you need in MA to register it. Then MA will issue you a title after you register it.

Neither here nor there

Here is the info from the MA DMV
    Also be sure to state the Mileage and VIN on the Bill of Sale

The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age.
    Note: If the title is from another state, and does not have a line on the back for the purchase price, you must submit both the previous title and a bill of sale.

right on the money jeff. my buddy john bought one of his cars from new hampshire a few years back, no title. he needed both a bill of sale, AND a canceled registration to show proof of no back taxes, leins, ect. the owner went to the dmv in new hamsphire, registered the car and canceled it right there, cost like 30 bucks or something for paperwork, but mass accepted the 2 forms, and he titled the car easily.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks guys, I was a bit concerneed, but it sounds simple enough,. I can't wait to get my hands on the car, I already have plans to change out the interior!
    1986 GT Convertible
    1986 Mercury Capri RS (1st Project)
    2007 F150 Fx4 - Daily Driver
    2004 Harley Davidson Fat Boy
    2004 F150 Lariat (Had)
    2001 F150 Lariat (Had)
    1997 F350 (Had)
    1997 Explorer Limited (Had)
    1993 Lincoln Mark VIII (Had)
    1984 1/2 GT 350 - "The Begining" (Had)

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    In NH the car has to be 15 years of age or newer to have a title. Here in RI, its 10 years.
    So you will NOT get one from him, he doesn't have one unless he bought the car new.

Make sure he has:

• Current or Last Cancelled Registration
    • Bill of Sale

That should be all you need in MA to register it. Then MA will issue you a title after you register it.
    In NH a title can be requested for a car once it is at least 25 years old. It is only $25.00. I have titles for all of my cars as it makes things a lot easier.

NH Title information

Blog Entries

You may want to be armed with information from the seller's state DMV certifying that it is indeed the case that a title is not needed after a certain amount of years.

I'm in AZ, bought the Turbo RS from GA, and had to do one heck of a song and dance, going through multiple people at the AZ MVD (we like our letters mixed up out here) telling me conflicting things. Finally paid for a certified letter from the GA DMV explaining why the car didn't need a title, finally managed to get the car inspected out here and titled. Took months. Was a mess.

Good luck!

I think that I would have the seller accompany me to a Notary Public to have the signature witnesses. Banks generally have them.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

I am always amazed at how lazy the local title clerks are across the country.

They ALL have a book that publishes the registration requirements for all the states across the USA since the licensing and registration of vehicles is the responsibility of the individual states not the Federal government. The clerks also have at their fingertips the internet to view the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) registration requirements for all the states. The clerks are just to damn lazy to look or get their manager involved who usually knows the few states that are not title states for all age vehicles.

If you have questions I suggest you visit the state DMV website to determine the requirements for registration in a none title state when you buy a vehicle from a none title state and PRINT that information off that state's DMV website so you can also present that PRINTED registration information to your lazy title clerk whey you apply for registration.
    Last edited by vintageracer; 09-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    You may want to be armed with information from the seller's state DMV certifying that it is indeed the case that a title is not needed after a certain amount of years.

I'm in AZ, bought the Turbo RS from GA, and had to do one heck of a song and dance, going through multiple people at the AZ MVD (we like our letters mixed up out here) telling me conflicting things. Finally paid for a certified letter from the GA DMV explaining why the car didn't need a title, finally managed to get the car inspected out here and titled. Took months. Was a mess.

Good luck!
    If I ever sell a old car with no title to a out of state person I give them a VIN verification form filled out by the sherrifs department, the letter from Georgia explaining the title laws and the current registration. Other states know what other states require so it should never be a hassle. But then again, how hard is it to print out a piece of paper declaring ownership no matter how old the car is? Georgia makes it too easy for car theft.