Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Instrument cluster voltage regulator questions.

We all know the IVR for the 79-86 cars is innacurate and unreliable, but what about the 87-93 cars? Do they use an IVR? My 88's gauges don't read anywhere close to being accurate, but I didn't think they had an IVR after 86. How are the 87-93 cluster's power controlled and is it any better than the 79-86? I am wondering for 2 reasons- I need to fix my 88's issue and I want to find a better way to control the Capri's gauges.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

My 1989 Ford Mustang shop manual specifically says that an IVR is NOT used (pg 33-01-2). Although there are some differences between the 87-89 instrument cluster units and 90-93 units Im fairly certain that the same basic design - with no IVR - was used 87-93.

I think when Ford redesigned the Mustang instrument cluster for 1987 it specifically wanted to eliminate the troublesome IVR it had used since the late 1960s.

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 07-27-2008 at 08:55 PM.

No IVR but there is a module for the fuel gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    No IVR but there is a module for the fuel gauge.
    Yes. Ford calls it an 'anti-slosh' module. Its basically is a little circuit board with a chip on it that averages the resistance from the fuel sender so that rapid fluctuations (which are normal due to tank level changing with vehicle movement) are 'damped out' giving a better overall reading. Ford has been using these anti-slosh modules since the mid-80s.

T

Now, I have a question.

Is the IVR really inaccurate and unreliable?

Ford has been using the same ones in our cars since 1971 I believe (part number for our cars is a D1 part number I belive). They seem to work fine most of the time. I mean, they usually last 20 years or so and I never noticed my gauges being way off or anything.

-Mike

FWIW, I think it comes down to the gauges. Stock gauges and senders are nowhere near as accurate as they could be. If you got a rock steady voltage from a super duper IVR, I bet your gauges wouldn't be any more accurate.

But IDK. Never heard of anyone really taking a look at how much an IVR affects gauges other than when they go off-the-charts crazy.

-Mike

I had always heard they were unreliable, but that is true that it is likely the gauges themselves aren't accurate. I just know in the Capri sometimes they will read real high and then sometimes they read real low. The ones in my 88 read low all the time, which is why I suspected it had an IVR that was going bad. If the 87-93 cars don't have an IVR, what controls the voltage to the gauges?
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

FEP Power Member

The problem is based on the whole electircal system. If the IVR is not getting the proper voltage to regulate, it throws the entire system off. This is why if the cars are idling or in a low voltage situation, the guages will read high. If I leave my lights on and idling for a period of time, my temp guage will climb as well as my oil pressure. Once you cut the voltage drain, it acts more nornal. The whole electrical system was never too good in these cars. Even worse on the 86-at least 88s, since the computer puts a drain on the system.

Jason

FEP Senior Member

Talking

thr tbird and cougar used the ivr up through 88.
    86 capri 5.0-sold
    88 XR7[still fox body]-sold
    96 XR7- 25000 miles

So what is used in the 87-93 cars to cut down the voltage to the gauges? Or do they use the 12V?
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

They are 12V gauges.

T

There is a write up somewhere, to use a transister, and a resister to build a solid state IVR to replace the bi-metal stock ivr, which will stop the gauges from freaking out. I've had all my gauges swing to full because that ivr got messed up.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/97/28/ Closest thing I can find. but it lists the 3 parts needed to build a solid state ivr.

1. 276-1770A +5VDC Voltage Regulator - Fig. 2.
    2. 276-1368 Heat Sink for TO-220 -Fig 3.
    3. 272-1025 10 microfarad capacitor Fig. 4.
    1983 GLX vert
    88 roller motor
    Intake/Exhaust/Underdrives/Turbocoupe t5
    13.79 @ 96.29 1.86 60'

1986 Mustang Gt
    95 longblock w/smog bumps removed/TFS1 cam/Explorer intake/Hedman Long tubes/Mac catback 252hp/311tq
    13.05@102.55

Kevin and I had tried one of those once but it didn't work for some odd reason. I don't know if we didn't build it right or what, but none of the gauges worked. I would imagine that if it does work, it works really well though since the gauges will be getting a good, consistent voltage.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by 85mcLaren View Post
    The problem is based on the whole electircal system. If the IVR is not getting the proper voltage to regulate, it throws the entire system off.
    I agree with this. I had replaced my IVR, but my gauges would still read a little high and a little low sometimes -- not all the way high or low, just a bit off. Well, my alternator and/or voltage regulator went the other day, and I replaced both. Now, my gauges seem to be quite steady. I've only been driving around for a couple days, but it just seems that way. I'll pay more attention to this and post back. But I do notice that I haven't looked down and said "how did I use an 1/8th of a tank already?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by 85mcLaren View Post
    The whole electrical system was never too good in these cars.
    Agree again. lol. Between cracking insulation, connectors that break when you pull them apart, and thin gauge wire, the electrical system stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith
    I just know in the Capri sometimes they will read real high and then sometimes they read real low.
    If all the gauges are doing that together, then it's the IVR. You're not going to have 3 bad gauges. Check the voltage at the battery; after I replaced the voltage regulator and alternator, the voltage was rock solid steady at 14.12. Who knows, maybe you'll see yours moving around.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

I've been thinking about replacing the voltage regulator. It's still OEM 1986 from what I can tell. I've had it for 8 years now and I've never touched it. Maybe it's time.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

I'll be trying that ivr build on the 86 this weekend, so I'll post up if it works.
    1983 GLX vert
    88 roller motor
    Intake/Exhaust/Underdrives/Turbocoupe t5
    13.79 @ 96.29 1.86 60'

1986 Mustang Gt
    95 longblock w/smog bumps removed/TFS1 cam/Explorer intake/Hedman Long tubes/Mac catback 252hp/311tq
    13.05@102.55

FEP Senior Member

there is a solid state ivr being sold by one of the mustang
    vendors. cant remember who.
    86 capri 5.0-sold
    88 XR7[still fox body]-sold
    96 XR7- 25000 miles

While we're at it ... do y'all have any leads on a freaked out fuel sender. The Beater will not read full when I KNOW it is full. The most I ever get is 3/4 tank and so I monitor my milage ... and keep an empty gas can in the back. LOL I haven't had any luck pinning this one down and the wiring/sender seem to work all right.
    Let me know if you can.
    Bill
    -Bill
    "Beater" ('82 Capri No Eng/NoTrans)
    Wife's Project Car ('83 Vert Stang GLX No Eng/NoTrans)
    "Cinco" ('88 Hatch Stang LX 5.0L/Manual)
    "Bertha" ('92 Hatch Stang LX 2.3L/Manual)
    '13 Ford Flex Platinum (Hers)
    Husband & father of 3 girls

Quote Originally Posted by irvin View Post
    there is a solid state ivr being sold by one of the mustang
    vendors. cant remember who.
    NPD

T

Quote Originally Posted by Wrightness View Post
    While we're at it ... do y'all have any leads on a freaked out fuel sender. The Beater will not read full when I KNOW it is full. The most I ever get is 3/4 tank and so I monitor my milage ... and keep an empty gas can in the back. LOL I haven't had any luck pinning this one down and the wiring/sender seem to work all right.
    Let me know if you can.
    Bill
    All 78-86 Fox fuel senders should produce the following resistances:

Full:8-12 ohms
    Empty: 60-86 ohms

You should test your sender first. If sender checks out OK then test the gauge by putting resistors across sender leads. A 10 ohm resistor should make the gauge read full. If not then either the gauge is shot or the IVR is. But if the IVR was bad then all your gauges should read off. If only the fuel then must be sender or gauge.

T

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 08-16-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks T. I'll give it a shot. Especially since FoMoCo doesn't offer a sender anymore Our parts guys tried everything "offically" to find one, no joy.
    Bill
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wrightness View Post
    Thanks T. I'll give it a shot. Especially since FoMoCo doesn't offer a sender anymore Our parts guys tried everything "offically" to find one, no joy.
    Bill
    If you need a sender for the 80 you are out of luck. The 79/80 tanks and matching senders are unique to those years and quite obsolete. If its for your 82 you can still get the tank and sender. Laurel Mountain Mustangs has 81+ senders:

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com

T

Shouldn't you be able to swap a later model tank into your 79-80?

I've been driving Fords since 1962, and have never seen the IVR change since then. The difference back then was that it controlled the fuel gauge only, as you had idiot lights for temp and oil pressure. Seems they were not troublesome until Ford began using them to regulate 3 different gauges (more current draw.) Maybe even 4, as the Mustang ammeter seems to be a beast unto itself, and never seems to work correctly. I wonder if Ford is sampling a percentage of current draw somewhere, and trying to use the IVR to regulate the amp gauge.

I know that the only time I ever saw an accurate reading on mine was when the wiring harness got a direct short in it. That sucker was sure pegged on -60 amps then, for the second or two it took the wire to burn into.

I don't trust the electronic gauges in the Mustang - I installed mechanical ones, all except fuel.
    Len

1980 Capri 2.3
    1983 Mustang GT

The '82 is the one with gauge issues. The '80 works just fine. You add 5 gallons of gas and it goes up 1/3 of a tank, neat! Thanks for all of the help guys>
    Bill
    -Bill

Where do I buy one of these ICVR for my 85 gt>? thanks
    85 GT- w/some bolt-ons
    06 Civic Si-daily drive
    96 Blazer LS-Mail delivery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast