Close

Default Rear window aluminum louvers

I have what I believe is a aluminum rear window louver cover from late 80s early 90s. The locks on the bottoms have been stripped out, is there anyone out there that has messed with these, I just want to be able to lift it clean under it and then lock it back down.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kendellgil; 06-30-2018 at 12:52 PM.

I have the same looking louvers on my 82 RS. The original key was shaped like a + sign with the end going into the lock a bit shorter than the sides. I have a similar issue that one side of mine is busted up too. I am trying to sort out how to fix the lock mechanism so it will work properly and secure the louvers correctly. The lock itself is just double sided taped to the rear glass. I had considered using the industrial strength 3M Velcro in between the lock and the rear window. That might allow me to separate the Velcro strips for cleaning, but still secure the louvers the rest of the time. Unfortunately I have a lot of other work to finish on my RS before the louvers are a concern.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Blog Entries

Cheap quick way- grind it smoother, cut a straight slot in it, use a screwdriver to operate. More involved way, same as above, but fill hole with JB weld before cutting slot. Best pain in the butt way- take the lock screw out, get it built back up with weld (I'm assuming this is aluminum ) and get whatever pattern you want milled into it. (Bolt head, slot, torx, whatever )
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Just the lock portion is plastic, thank both of you for the responses. I like the idea of sanding it and cutting a flat into it to operate with a screwdriver.

FEP Senior Member

Look up plastic welding. It may be an option.

Permatex and Loctite both offer plastic bonding epoxies. Permatex has it in black. On my factory louvers the hardware fastens into the metal of the hatch and I've had to resort to installing new rivet nuts in order to hook the lower end down. Stainless bolts and anti-seize compound should keep things happy.

I appreciate the help guys, when I first bought the car I thought I'd remove it. But the fact that it's an older aluminum set of louvers it's really grown on me.

I have this same pair of louvers I bought new back in 1984. They were made by a company called interpart. I got them from the sears catalog. interpart has been out of business for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by liv2roc View Post
    I have this same pair of louvers I bought new back in 1984. They were made by a company called interpart. I got them from the sears catalog. interpart has been out of business for a while.
    Thats it!! I had (& still have them in my attic) a pair of interpart louvers from my 1977 Monza Spyder. As soon as I saw that lock I recognized them, but this picture brought it right back. I do not have the key for mine, but iirc, I modified a screwdriver to work them. That brings back memories.

Those louvers look so much better than the current ABS plastic crap that aftermarket companies sell

Quote Originally Posted by liv2roc View Post

Thank you! I had a feeling they were the 80s made ones, the picture of the key is extremely helpful.