Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Oh, and the Maverick pictured in his list looks like a bad a$$ piece.

I owned a couple of Vega GTs in the late '70's. One with a hopped up the four cylinder in it and the other got an LT1 with a muncie 4 speed and a narrowed chevelle 12 bolt. Both were fun cars to drive on the street, back when everyone was out cruizin' until 4 AM. Kinda like the "American Graffiti" of the '70's.

We never really thought about whether the cars were good or bad. They were inexpensive and we went out and had a good time.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    I owned a couple of Vega GTs in the late '70's. One with a hopped up the four cylinder in it and the other got an LT1 with a muncie 4 speed and a narrowed chevelle 12 bolt. Both were fun cars to drive on the street, back when everyone was out cruizin' until 4 AM. Kinda like the "American Graffiti" of the '70's.

We never really thought about whether the cars were good or bad. They were inexpensive and we went out and had a good time.
    What you say is true! In fact I remember when I was 17 I already had a few vehicles including my baby a 1967 Mustang Fastback I was restoring. I worked on all my friends cars and one of my friends had a Vega GT that started burning oil (a common issue caused by the aluminum block). Well I bought the car for $500 and drove it for another year adding a quart of oil every week. The car ran great and I remember liking to drive it especially on the rural back roads where it handled pretty good compared to other cars. It was yellow with black trim and rally wheels, it had a very cool black interior with high back buckets and it felt sporty. Like a miniature version of a Camaro. It had style for an economy car and I liked driving it.

I'd love to have a nice stock '71-'73 Vega GT hatch, easily the best looking of the '70s US compact cars. But they don't come up very often, and when they do, the sticker shock makes me wish I had acted years ago. For a car with such a bad reputation, they sure command good money these days.

-MJS

This album is on flickr so I can't post them....

Page 1 is a Yellow Vega GT, next a Magazine cover with a compact shootout!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightning72/4164860087/

I had one of these in the seventies, and it wasn't a bad little car. The AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon. It was also the same orange color. It came with a bumper sticker on it saying Trees are People Too.

I also had one of these. 72 Mercury Capri. The German import. It was a nice little car.

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I liked the AMC Hornet (the hatchback & the wagon). The 2 door coupe and the 4 door sedan didn't look so hot, but in the right color, with the right wheels, they were very nice. If I remember correctly, an AMC Hornet (I want to say it was orange) was even featured in a Bond film back in the early 70's. I actually found a photo on a webpage titled "the coolest Bond cars". At least someone liked it:

Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    What you say is true! In fact I remember when I was 17 I already had a few vehicles including my baby a 1967 Mustang Fastback I was restoring. I worked on all my friends cars and one of my friends had a Vega GT that started burning oil (a common issue caused by the aluminum block). Well I bought the car for $500 and drove it for another year adding a quart of oil every week. The car ran great and I remember liking to drive it especially on the rural back roads where it handled pretty good compared to other cars. It was yellow with black trim and rally wheels, it had a very cool black interior with high back buckets and it felt sporty. Like a miniature version of a Camaro. It had style for an economy car and I liked driving it.
    My brother had a vega GT and I remember him talking of going through 2 aluminum blocks. Deep forest green w/ white stripes and rally wheels.
    Dan
    ______

1983 GLX Convertible
    1992 Summer Special (hers)
    2007 Mustang- Grabber Orange

2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Had- 1983 Mustang GL hatch....Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by 84lx351w View Post
    I just can't imagine ever riding in another chevette the rest of my life, even if it was heavily modified.
    Not even this one???

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    Not even this one???
    Not sure...those weak little cars (chassis), still might be a death trap, just in a different manner. I am 6'7 and these cars are likely a tight fit, I just never feel comfortable in smaller cars.

I would probably take a ride in it, a fast scary ride, but I would definitely not own it. On a side note, my dad had one exactly like it, only his didn't have a 454.

Adam
    Last edited by 84lx351w; 02-12-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    84 lx convertible - 306 w/auto...moderate motor build completed June 2013
    93 lx - Sold
    In search of a CC or BM project that isn't rusted out...need a Capri!!!

Daily Drivers
    04 Mazda 6 Sport
    12 F-250 XL w/CC and 6.2L

I had a friend in automotive class bring in his monza. It had a buick 307 i think i may be wrong. It had a tunnel ram intakes. It still sat on stock 14's stock rear. It was a p.o.s. he drove it in to put a throttle cable and bracket on it. He drove it in with an extention cord running thru the firewall for the trottle. And it was a stick to boot. I dont think he knew what the hell he was doing. But it was funny none the less. I remember all thise cars. My dad retired from gm after 32 years . Gm did at one point build dome cool rides back in the day. I have one of them in his garage still. A 1968 chevy nova SS. Still pretty cool.
    85 ford mustang gt 5.0 h.o.5 spd
    68 chevy nova SS 350 (slightly modded)
    92 ford ranger prerunner

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyed85gt1 View Post
    I had a friend in automotive class bring in his monza. It had a buick 307 i think i may be wrong. It had a tunnel ram intakes. It still sat on stock 14's stock rear. It was a p.o.s. he drove it in to put a throttle cable and bracket on it. He drove it in with an extention cord running thru the firewall for the trottle. And it was a stick to boot. I dont think he knew what the hell he was doing. But it was funny none the less. I remember all thise cars. My dad retired from gm after 32 years . Gm did at one point build dome cool rides back in the day. I have one of them in his garage still. A 1968 chevy nova SS. Still pretty cool.
    I luvs me a Monza.

I have these two ads in my "save file" right now.

[h=1980 Chevy Monza - $4700 (Indianapolis)]2[/h]

1980 Chevy Monza 2+2

1980 Chevy Monza 2+2 very clean unrestored survivor.

3.8 v-6 engine, A/T, PS, PB, A/C, tilt steering wheel, AM/FM radio, 54k miles, excellent car for survivor certification or big block engine swap.

call 317- 862-2015 no emails please.

[h=1980 Chevy Monza - $2800 (Ash Flat, Ar)]2[/h]

1980 chevy monza

Rare find. 1980 Chevy Monza Spyder. 2.5 Ltr. 4 cyl. Runs and drive great.

One owner. Have original title and build sheet. New plugs, wires, distributor cap, valve cover gasket, and four brand new tires.

Rust free. Interior is great but has three tears on drivers seat.power steering A/C and power brakes just need to finish buffing,did hood and driver fender.

Asking $2800.

call or text 870-897-3966. Please, serious inquiries only. GREAT SHAPE FOR A 33 YEAR OLD CAR,

I was 13 when I read the Mustang vs Monza shootouts!

This is also classic Car & Driver!

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ved-comparison

Quote Originally Posted by fmgl View Post
    My brother had a vega GT and I remember him talking of going through 2 aluminum blocks. Deep forest green w/ white stripes and rally wheels.
    We had a 73(?) Vega GT, same color when I was a kid. It was my parent's first brand new car. I have some of my earliest memories in that car. Dad decided he wanted to try being a lumberjack, so we moved from Iowa to Montana in that car. With the back seat folded down, there seemed to be a bunch of room in the hatch area for my little brother and myself to lay out and sleep. I remember waking up on the drive and being thirsty, asked my dad if I could have a drink of his soda. He said sure, but failed to tell me it was no longer full of soda. Rotten bastard!!

Here is a pic of me with the car barely visible:

Name:  ATT_1295298642871_SCAN0001.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  230.7 KB

A little info before someone asks about the 55's. The one in the background was my dad's. It's a 2 door 150 model wagon. The one that I am standing directly in front of was my dad's best friend's wagon.
    Last edited by LILCBRA; 02-12-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    84 LX convertible: 5.0 swap from a Lincoln Mark VII : 11/2011-11/2013 (Sold....)
    My Baby-77 Cobra II-302 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    I could show a very cool example of almost every car on this list. (That Purple Pacer is freaking AWSOME!)
    Here's another one that I saw at the Hot Rod Power Tour.

23 years ago today I meet to woman that would soon be my wife and become the love of my life. She was sitting in front of her grandmothers house on the hood of her 81 Chevette identical to this one. That pictures is forever ingrained in my mind. The car was a hunk of junk though. But she quickly became a Ford fan. Didn't mean to get all mushy, lol, but this just brought back very fond memories.

65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

smitty54, I know your just having a laugh, but you disrespect the brilliant engineers America had. Those cars were designed to compete with imports, and Detroit was working the tolerances on price/cost.

The T car, Pinto and Mustang II. Maverick and AMC design work ensured there is an American auto industry, and as for the Ford Fuel tank issue, you are wrong, and Ford engineers have been misrepresented for years over a simple issue about costing out a Firestone fuel bladder. The tank straps and retrofitted tank striker where not even on other imports, yet the Pinto was singled out like some kind of horse cull exercise. Same with the Bronco II roll overs and Explorer Firestone tire pressure matters, Ford did the research, and just because the engineers where honest and journalled everything, they got class action civil writs to deal with.

The Chevy Monza (and Buick Skylark and Vega, even with the leaky blocks) were the start of T5 manual gearboxes, Bonneville and Maxton cement airfield 200 mph greats from class leading aerodynamics, and cost effective engineering bases. My cousin had a 350 Buick engined Monza and a 3.8 Skylark, and they were great cars. As an export they set me up for buying my US Mustang. When you live in the US, you don't see your good stuff. ole Matador, the 304 and 345 engined machines were exported too, we had them in Aussie and New Zealand, they weren't lemons. Even the later pig ugly 75's were very competent in the engine, trans and body engineering. Mavericks got sold here all the time, and Granada's with the 250 were just fine. The Lincoln was contrived, but the disk brake rear end was used on our GXL Fairmonts and Cobra Falcons behind 216 and 300 hp 351C 4V'S, and although a reliability issue when hammered, it was a four wheel disk car with great brakes, quad headlamps, and every appointment and it was a case of Ford working the tolerances on acceptability.

The Grabber was absolutely awesome...over here, we had 302 versions, and the Aussie front disks brakes on the old Falcon platform would transform the Hungary Heifer Horned Ford into a mini Mustang.

I'm happy to read your post, its great to have a nice photoed dissertation, you get a 12 out of 10 for composition, but the details ....these cars sold and saved the nameplates and US industry. It may have been despicable to some, but the cars you panned were loved an accepted over here. You need to get a life, the malaise era was darn hard, and you guys and gals got through it. Time to have a Beer and say thank G-d we engineered our way outta that crap hole...

@xctasy-smitty didn't pen the article, just copied and pasted. Here is the original blog post from the original author: http://chrisoncars.com/2012/08/worst...rom-the-1970s/
    84 LX convertible: 5.0 swap from a Lincoln Mark VII : 11/2011-11/2013 (Sold....)
    My Baby-77 Cobra II-302 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    smitty54, I know your just having a laugh, but you disrespect the brilliant engineers America had. Those cars were designed to compete with imports, and Detroit was working the tolerances on price/cost.

The T car, Pinto and Mustang II. Maverick and AMC design work ensured there is an American auto industry, and as for the Ford Fuel tank issue, you are wrong, and Ford engineers have been misrepresented for years over a simple issue about costing out a Firestone fuel bladder. The tank straps and retrofitted tank striker where not even on other imports, yet the Pinto was singled out like some kind of horse cull exercise. Same with the Bronco II roll overs and Explorer Firestone tire pressure matters, Ford did the research, and just because the engineers where honest and journalled everything, they got class action civil writs to deal with.
    Look at how they recently turned on Toyota, with their 'unintended acceleration' allegations. Screw the media, they don't know diddley.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Look at how they recently turned on Toyota, with their 'unintended acceleration' allegations. Screw the media, they don't know diddley.
    They did the same thing to Audi years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LILCBRA View Post
    @xctasy-smitty didn't pen the article, just copied and pasted. Here is the original blog post from the original author: http://chrisoncars.com/2012/08/worst...rom-the-1970s/
    Thanks LILCBRA, I was going to tell xctasy not to shoot the messenger. I just posted this article up for general discussion.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Look at how they recently turned on Toyota, with their 'unintended acceleration' allegations.
    I enjoyed the HELL out of that. It seems like Ford is always the one in the news for recalls, where-as with other manufacturers, it's always being swept under the rug. "Here we go again! Another recall from Ford!"
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Regarding the media on automobiles:

Yeah, Thanks to cBS TV news for scaring folks into thinking the '65-'70 Mustang drop in fuel tank were a safety issue and NBC for rigging Chevy trucks (with the fuel tank mounted outside the frame rails) to explode on impact so they can get dramatic footage of the event for their BS news expose on the inherent safety hazard of said Chevy trucks. Some times, you just have to shake your head.

Oh, regarding "putting-your-money-where-your-mouth" is? How about this:

I own

1978 Ford Fairmont Futura
    1978 Ford Fairmont wagon
    1978 Ford Fairmont 2dr sedan and lucky enough to live in an area I can drive it everyday.

1983 Ford Fairmont 2dr sedan

and my current favorite: 1982 Cougar Wagon.

Doing my part - LOL

It's not easy owning any of the cars in the OP referred article. Even here in Southern Cal those cars are rare sightings. Hell, I'm having a tough time finding Fairmonts and Fox LTDs in the wrecking yards.

I have a friend whom we kid about trying to corner the Vega market in Southern Cal. He seems to find them in the most obscure places. He has a neat 350 powered Vega Coupe and building up a Vega delivery express wagon. They're nice cars.
    Last edited by Dean_T; 02-17-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rkuhn View Post
    23 years ago today I meet to woman that would soon be my wife and become the love of my life. She was sitting in front of her grandmothers house on the hood of her 81 Chevette identical to this one. That pictures is forever ingrained in my mind. The car was a hunk of junk though. But she quickly became a Ford fan. Didn't mean to get all mushy, lol, but this just brought back very fond memories.

23 years ago, during the Senior Class Parade, I accidently smashed into a Gold '81 just like that. The car was driven by the class Valedictorian, who would basically 'freak' if she so much as got a 'B' on her report card. Needless to say, she was none-too-pleased!!

The impact was so great, that she actually bounced off the car traveling in front of her, which was a full-sized Bronco, driven by another classmate. She received a written repair estimate of 1800 dollars!! When I picked my jaw up off the ground, I convinced her that I could repair the car myself. Luckily, she agreed. I ended up repairing the car for $43! Funny how far used Chevette parts, body filler, and touch up paint will go

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    The car was driven by the class Valedictorian...

She received a written repair estimate...
    Written estimate, huh? Class Valedictorian, huh? She probably corrected the spelling errors on it and sent it back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast