Close

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default Cool image of the 79 Mustang prototype

Note the lack of TRX wheels

Found this one with the Engine's - looks like a super base model mustang! No options

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 05-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

http://www.preformresources.com/Mustang-Body-Parts.htm

Note the same compomotive / ronal magnesium turbo wheels for planned SVO race guards

Rudof Frieds wounderful Group A racing photos from Czechoslovakia's Brno circuit racing Mustang GT shows he final take on the heavily swaged compomotive / ronal magnesium turbo, this time with different sizes and hole arrangements, and Momo style hex nut, which used the Ferrari/MG 108 mm pitch center studs

And close up to a 7j 15 and et25 with 5inch inner rim and 2 inch outer lip, stock Ford Europe and Mustang Fox 4 x 108 stud pattern

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Very nice!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Blog Entries

What did that rim come on?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Those look like pre-production non branded Ronal Turbo 10 holes. Maserati Biturbo's ran a knock off and they were a BMW 3 series favorite. Renault made them EXACTLY THE SAME 10 HOLE as a factory option for some mid 1985 R5 Turbo 2's, ran as a TRX replacement

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4525001%29.jpg

There were later German made 10 and 20 hole Ronals.

The 1975 Lotus Ecalt/Elite had them in one piece high dish form

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...79_1973_cc.JPG

Before that, they were a 100 mm PCD VW Rabbit/Golf/scirroco and 108 mm Audi Fox aftermarket rim.

After that, they came in a similar three piece Compomotive design.

Via Jack Talenac's European affiliations, I'm certain the Fox Stang and Capri continued the Pinto/Mustang II hubs because, like the 1978 varaible ratio rack and pinion steering, they were in production, and this allowed the common European aftermarket wheels to be fitted. The 4.25" stud was once the most common 4 and five stud rim, a stout high performance wheel which was primarily designed for MG and Ferrari knock off spinners and wire wheels, then progressed to steel and then alloy in the late 60's. It has resurfaced in US front drive hangovers from the Premium Automative group, the Volvo S80, S type Jag and Taurus are all 5 on 108, a standard ages old Ferrari rim pitch center.

See 108mm PCD Appreciation Thread

[qoute]Whether it be 4 or 5 lug, Saab, Pug, Audi, Volvo, Ferrari or Ford, the 4.25/108 pcd has it rough.

So lets see your wheels, cars, and yes, even your adapters. post F/S links and anything else 108 related[/quote]

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23939

I thought they were Compomotive or Ronals, but they were actually French Gotti 75 BA wheels on 345's for the IMSA, but 225's on the preproduction Mustang.

http://www.gbsalpine.com/wheel/gotti/eng/75ba.html

From pre production in 1978 to the first pre production versions of the SVO, these rims where also used to prototype the RSX and the SVO, and the IMSA showcar.

The TRX center caps were used on Gotti wheels with the RSX.

thats interesting, no body side mouldings on that car. I kinda like the way that looks.

This may be relevant (or not).Name:  Compomotive_Turbo.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  601.9 KB
    But, I purchased these 16x7 Compomotive Turbos from a guy in Detroit in the 90's. He swore they were off some prototype Mustang. I ran them on my (please don't scoff) Lowered White '89 GT with a 2-1/2" Cowl Hood and a saleen wing (remember it was the 90's). I am currently contemplating running them on my '86 GT T-Top or possibly on my '83 Turbo Coupe (which at least has "Four Eyes").
    Last edited by PCPackRat; 08-19-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Regardless of where those wheels came from, they are seriously cool! I love the exotic wheels of the era.

Those wheels are freakin amazing, they would look great on a fox or anything from Europe in the 1980's. I was looking through some pics that I have trying to see if I could find a fox with similar wheels. The closest I could find was one of the Saleen race cars. I believe these wheels were made by Ronal, but I could be wrong:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

The Ferrari four stud knock-ons and AP Racing brakes combination stayed with the Group A Mustang for many years.....

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

Rudof Frieds wounderful Group A racing photos from Czechoslovakia's Brno circuit racing Mustang GT shows he final take on the heavily swaged compomotive / ronal magnesium turbo, this time with different sizes and hole arrangements, and Momo style hex nut, which used the Ferrari/MG 108 mm pitch center studs