Close

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Can't wait to hear it run smooth. The V6 is super smooth, barely audible, but there are two mufflers. One has been repaired and must be bad so I'll replace it.

Sorry about the wheel on the sunroof, but I had to make sur it remained closed as there was a lot of wind lately.

The engine bay has been freshened a bit, but it's not finished yet. I have to work on the firewall :

Header !

I started rebuilding the carb. It was filthy on the outside, but I didn't notice anything wrong inside aside from the membranes looking a bit out of shape. It's a Motorcraft/Holley 5200. :

You've done an awesome job. There really is no excuse for us to have faded interior, like me, when a little can of spray and elbow grease, you can have results like this.

That 5200 will give you plenty of power to spare and provide decent MPGs at the same time. Spend time, and money, on having some head work done to increase your HP numbers.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuty455 View Post
    I've also cleaned and painted the alternator and some other parts :
    Can't wait to hear it run smooth. The V6 is super smooth, barely audible, but there are two mufflers. One has been repaired and must be bad so I'll replace it.
    Looking good! You've provided a lot of TLC to these cars! Is that the original finish on the alternator fan and pulley or was it painted also?

Besides yourself and myself, I can only count on one hand the 2.8's I've seen on this site or the Facebook group with one (at least bragging and showing it off!). I'd be interested in seeing some more pictures of the factory original details of it when you get around to it!

Keep up the good work.

Yes the aluminium parts have been painted with an aluminium paint/primer. I used the same thing on the intake and alternator of my Trans Am and it holds up surprisingly well, even to gasoline. The steel pieces were painted with a zinc primer and a thin coat of gold paint for rims, it's not as good looking as a shiny cadmium coating but it's not bad.

For some reason I haven't taken any picture of the V6 ! I'll do that later

Here we go, some more pictures, first of the V6 and some details :

The original french owner's manual :

Original delivery address and owner's name :

A sticker on the hatch glass, no idea what it is. Some kind of surfing brand logo maybe ?

The Vaquero in a sad state :

This is just surface rust :
    Last edited by SuperDuty455; 01-20-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Header again :

Not good, you can see the cut where the piece of new quarter panel was welded :

The worst part :

Cracked floor again :

The door has been replaced, notice it has the openings for both door handles locations :

After cleaning the edge with a wire wheel, it looked worse than it is :

A part sticker I found in the driver side quarter panel, surely when it was repaired. There's an address on it but it's not readable on the picture :

FEP Supporter

Here we go, some more pictures, first of the V6 and some details :

The original french owner's manual :

Original delivery address and owner's name :

A sticker on the hatch glass, no idea what it is. Some kind of surfing brand logo maybe ?
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. Many, original similarities and some slightly different ones. The owner's manual is quite unique!

In the first picture I see the crank case filler/breather sitting on the washer bottle. Does your car still have the hose that goes back to the air cleaner? I found the correct filler but am wondering if it had a formed hose (I assume it one)? The formed heater hose to the firewall looks original and I would love to find a spare. The smog equipment looks mostly original and I like that you have the coolant filling label still with the car (ours was still factory attached to the filler neck and bilingual being in Canada).

I had removed the oil breather, but it's all there with the formed hose.

Yes I was surprised to see the coolant filling label still intact. This car is very original, and aside for the homologation modifications and the radio opening, it hasn't been altered. The mileage is fairly low as well, with only 92000km (57500 miles). I doubt it's 192000km since everything shows very little wear.

They had applied wax all over the engine bay, so it will take a while to remove it all. It makes it look much dirtier than it is, but at least it's mostly free of rust.

It's too bad the manual isn't in better condition, but it's not missing any page and it contains the maintenance notes at specific mileage points. It appears to original owner(s?) were very meticulous. I wish I had the bills that go with it :

FEP Supporter

I had removed the oil breather, but it's all there with the formed hose.

Yes I was surprised to see the coolant filling label still intact.
    We found a nos replacement coolant label but it is not the bilingual one the car originally came with. It is the same as the one you have but that's okay for me.

If you could, I would like to see what the breather hose shape looks like. Can you post a picture of it loose and/or installed? The parts manual of course says to improvise with bulk hose but these formed hoses are impossible to find other than repro bypass and rad hoses. Another one I couldn't find a replacement for was the fuel hose from the body hard line to the fuel pump. The manual says it's a formed hose which we had (but didn't want to reuse) but once again it says to "improvise".

Hopefully you'll get to working on the 2.8 soon enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Here's the picture of the oil breather :

And the assembly on the air cleaner :

Here's the carburetor disassembled, mostly cleaned and ready to be rebuilt :

My rebuild kit didn't come with any instruction, it's weird as it appears to be made by the same company that did the one for the Quadrajet E4ME of my Trans Am. But it was pretty straightforward.
    Now I just need to adjust the float. Does anyone have the float adjustement procedure ? They gave a 15/32 gauge in the rebuild kit, but I'm not sure what it's for.
    I do have a Holley 5200 rebuild manual in pdf but it's for the early 70's versions so it's a bit different.

I copied and pasted this from my manual into a Word document. I hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Thanks, but I already had this from the manual. I ended up following the procedure anyway and using the 15/32" gauge to measure the gap between the top of float and the surface of the carb.

So I put it back together and back on the car. Who the hell thought placing those mounting studs this way was a good idea...

The car runs a little bit better, but it's still quite rough and won't idle. It dies systematically even if I keep the pedal pressed or pump it hard. It fires right up afterwards but does the same. Not sure where to look at. Maybe the vacuum lines aren't properly routed ?

Is there a schematic somewhere for the vacuum lines ?

I don't have one for the vacuum lines. There should be a sticker in the engine compartment that shows the routing. If not, you'll want to look for an EVTM, Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual. I found a link, if you want to look further into it.

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...al-P13546.aspx

I should buy one for myself one of these days.

Edit:
    Found some on eBay. They're quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+evtm&_sacat=0
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 01-23-2016 at 07:15 PM.
    Build Thread

I was hoping to find a simple schematic somewhere, don't really want to buy an entire manual just for that, and my cars may not even have the same emissions hoses routing as US models. My GM cars all have (or had) the hoses schematic on the emissions tag, very convenient. The good thing with the Mustangs is that the hoses are all original and are color coded ! I had to clean them to see the color in most cases but it's nice.

Today I did a little bit of work on the Vaquero, mostly pulling parts from the engine bay and cleaning the crud. I find it very unpleasant to work on a dirty engine. So far so good, the parts are in good condition and were nicely preserved beneath that coat of oil and dirt. The water pump is in great condition, same for the thermosat housing. The thermostat looks fine but I have some new ones. So I wire wheeled a few parts, degreased them and painted them in Brantho Korrux. I'll do more tomorrow and take some pictures.

By the way, I've also noticed the steering rag joint on both 4 cylinder cars are completely shot ! The steering shaft just floats around in its "cage". It looks like they're not made of reinforced rubber but some kind of plastic that dryed out and broke in pieces.
    Last edited by SuperDuty455; 01-26-2016 at 05:01 PM.

I was thinking the same thing, regarding the emissions differences between the US and France. I guess it would depend on where the car was assembled. I assume it would have to meet emissions requirements for the state in which it was assembled. California emissions setups are different than the emissions setups in Idaho.

I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything, but if the sticker is missing, you might have to compare with old pictures and guess at it until it is correct.

Edit:
    This was the setup on my Vaquero Ghia:
    Name:  HPIM1551.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  124.8 KB
    It is not much, but at least it can give you a starting point. I wound up removing the emissions stuff on mine. They might go back on, but I am like you, I would have to work off of this photo if I cannot locate a good diagram.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 01-28-2016 at 03:28 AM.
    Build Thread

Where would that sticker be ? There's a sticker on the valve cover that explains timing but it doesn't show any hose routing.

This afternoon I've removed the dog bone on the white Ghia. It was touching the driveshaft, making a metal noise when driving. It appears the bracket that holds it is bent, and the bolts a bit as well. I guess they used a forklift to move the cars as there are scratches on the undercoating, and they bent the bracket in the process. No big deal.

While underneath, I realized the muffler is completely shot despite being patched twice, and the tail pipe has a hole in it. And they even added another muffler at the end. So I was looking on Rockauto and couldn't find a specific tail pipe for a 1979 2.8L V6. The exhaust being 2.25" wide, I found this left pipe for a dual exhaust V8 model : https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...id=1012&jpid=2
    Would it work ?

The muffler is approximately 10" x 15", this one seems compatible even if it's a bit shorter : https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...id=1013&jpid=2
    Last edited by SuperDuty455; 01-28-2016 at 06:53 PM.

I looked some online, and unfortunately, it looks like a '79 VECI label may not have included a vacuum routing... found this (2.3L Turbo) decal image:

Maybe somebody's got one that does, and will snap a pic for you... or a pic with their air filter housing off...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Supporter

I was hoping to find a simple schematic somewhere,
    I thought I had the simple vacuum schematic but it turned out to be an electrical one.

There must be one in my '79 service manual somewhere. It's a matter of digging into it a bit.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I looked some online, and unfortunately, it looks like a '79 VECI label may not have included a vacuum routing... found this (2.3L Turbo) decal image:

Maybe somebody's got one that does, and will snap a pic for you... or a pic with their air filter housing off...
    The '79's I've seen have never included the vacuum system on the label. My '82 does so I am not sure when they started.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    The '79's I've seen have never included the vacuum system on the label. My '82 does so I am not sure when they started.
    I would seriously suspect that the vacuum routing to and from the carburetor etc for an '82 2.3L w/5200 carburetor should be the same as for a '79...
    Let's see a pic!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I would seriously suspect that the vacuum routing to and from the carburetor etc for an '82 2.3L w/5200 carburetor should be the same as for a '79...
    Let's see a pic!
    His '82 is a 5.0, so it's going to be a little different.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    My bad. I think I was looking at a different sticker (electrical) and thought it was a vacuum diagram. My '79 doesn't have the vacuum hose routing sticker, either.

Here is a picture of my engine with the air cleaner housing removed. I hope it helps, and again, my apologies for providing invalid information.

Name:  Engine bay cleanup in progress.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  103.3 KB
    Build Thread

FEP Supporter

My rebuild kit didn't come with any instruction, it's weird as it appears to be made by the same company that did the one for the Quadrajet E4ME of my Trans Am. But it was pretty straightforward.
    Now I just need to adjust the float. Does anyone have the float adjustement procedure ? They gave a 15/32 gauge in the rebuild kit, but I'm not sure what it's for.
    I do have a Holley 5200 rebuild manual in pdf but it's for the early 70's versions so it's a bit different.
    I finally had some time to dig into my '79 service manual and found this. These manuals cover all model lines of course.

I found it odd there was no mention of a distance but I assume that the key here is the valve is shut and the floats are evenly adjusted. This was all there was.

Name:  IMG_9240 5200 float adjustment (1).jpg
Views: 289
Size:  88.8 KBName:  IMG_9240 5200 float adjustment (2).jpg
Views: 323
Size:  114.0 KB

FEP Supporter

Maybe the vacuum lines aren't properly routed ?

Is there a schematic somewhere for the vacuum lines ?
    This is all I could really find in the engine section. There may be other diagrams in other sections based on the system they belong to but hopefully this helps.

Name:  IMG_9238 2.3 engine info (1).jpg
Views: 302
Size:  104.1 KBName:  IMG_9238 2.3 engine info (2).jpg
Views: 303
Size:  104.2 KB

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast