Close

Default Power Steering Pump Line Teflon Washer

Hey all, quick question that may help others at some point. I tried researching this, but all I really found was clever ways to install the washer without the special tool. What I need to know is, if the washer is VISIBLE once the line is tight, is that okay? I know it's supposed to be square-shaped, and I was a bit impatient installing it (imagine that), so it ended up a little twisted and wouldn't seat nicely in its groove. I should mention too, I didn't let it sit for a while and regain its shape after installing it either, which I've now read you should do.

Is this gonna leak on me or what? This was a line and pump that sat empty for a period with the old washer removed, so I have no point of reference. I'm thinking it's a bad thing that you can see the washer. Thanks!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Can't guarantee that it will leak, but you can't see the teflon o-ring on my PS pressure line.

Name:  IMG_6436.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  132.7 KB

You mention a square shaped washer, I have never seen or used a washer/seal like that on Ford PS lines, so not sure you have the correct one.

The seal installed should look like this.

Name:  PS Teflon seal2.PNG
Views: 270
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  PS Teflon seal.PNG
Views: 223
Size:  56.0 KB

You can pick it up at most auto parts stores. Generally in the Help or Dorman section. Often there are two teflon O rings in the package and IIRC only one of them fits the typical Fox PS pressure line. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The Ford washers have a square cross section. Most of the aftermarket washers have a round cross section. It doesn't make that much difference because once installed, they are crushed to death.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    The Ford washers have a square cross section. Most of the aftermarket washers have a round cross section. It doesn't make that much difference because once installed, they are crushed to death.
    Yeah, that's what I meant, cross section. Sorry, I don't know why I got used to calling it a washer.

I think I will definitely get myself another one and try again. Thanks guys!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, on my second attempt, the same thing happened. I slowly moved it along the threads with my fingernail until it reached its groove. Then, I let it sit a while to supposedly let it regain its shape. I waited a pretty long time, but when I went back to it, nothing had happened. It was still sitting in there kind of at an angle in some places, and not in others, but not as bad as last time.

When I pulled out the fitting, I found that it wasn't the main part of the seal that you could see, but it had sliced off part of the seal and THAT'S what was showing. Most of it was still down where it was supposed to be.

And this time, that happened too. But, everyone always says these things do get mangled when they go in, so I think I'm going to wait and see if it leaks. The only other possibility I can think of is maybe I'm using the wrong one. The HELP! package these come in has 2 sizes, and I've always used the larger one. The smaller one seems not even close to me.

Oh, and that reminds me. I went to Autozone to buy them today, and they do not stock them unless you buy the whole line. O'Reilly's had it in their Dorman/HELP! display. I bought two packages just in case.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Ford part number is 388898-S, they run a $1.67 retail.