Close

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default Convertible Q & A

I am starting this thread for convertible questions and info. There isn't a specific exterior thread and body shop thread really doesn't cover convertible top stuff in my opinion. So figured I would start this and us convertible folks would have a place to post and answer questions. Hope this is ok!!

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Ok my question is this: who has replaced their 85-86 vert top and what all did ya have to buy?
    Also, does anyone know if the gaskets for the top well trim is available anywhere? 87-93 is different according the LMR and fox resto. And they are currently all that I see available.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Ok my question is this: who has replaced their 85-86 vert top and what all did ya have to buy?
    Also, does anyone know if the gaskets for the top well trim is available anywhere? 87-93 is different according the LMR and fox resto. And they are currently all that I see available.

I have not replaced the top yet on my 84 but I have the top kit which includes the pads and well liner, new tension cables, 23 piece weather stripping kit as all of my weatherstripping is toast. As for the RH-LH lower well moldings (gaskets) I have not found a solution for that yet....I kinda hope mine are reusable, if not I'm not really sure what the next plan of action is.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I am kinda in same scenario. According to LMR the center trim piece gasket is the same from 83-90 and they offer that but the end or hockey strip pieces are different. Would love to know HOW different they really are. Maybe they can still be used w minor trimming or something.

--Bill

I did find this information in a different thread after doing some searching....says the poster is FMR! Maybe there is hope!

Quote Originally Posted by foxmustangrestoration View Post
    The 83-86 are not being made. The 87-93 are being remade. The shape is the same because the 1/4 panel is the same. I have had customers in the past use the 87-93 gaskets on their earlier car. I believe you have to trim the front and add a few holes for the mounting studs. But once installed they look the same.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 09-10-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Brock

Awesome info!! That is what I was thinking but couldn't find any info to verify. Thanks for taking the time to find that and post it up!!

--Bill

FEP Power Member

From what I've read about installing a new top is that you have to have a commercial type of stapler to secure it. I believe Late Model Restoration has a video on how to install one. Or check out YouTube. When It's time to replace mine. I'm going to get an inner liner that's available too to help quiet down the interior when the top is up. While you got the old top off I'd think about replacing the lift cylinders at the same time. Looks like they are easy to get to with the top off of the car.

I have replaced mine and everything involved while I was at it...top, pads, cables, springs, weather striping, well liner, well gaskets, motor to cylinder lines, etc. I did mine back several years ago and was faced with the gasket issue. Because the gasket changed in 1987 to include the quarter window areas I took a risk and ordered them thinking I could cut/modify them. I ordered all my parts from Laurel Mountain as their top was cheaper and they even followed up with me on the installation of that gasket knowing I planned on modifying it. They even offered to provide it free for the information but I told them if I was successful I would pay for it. They are up in your neck of the woods and you should give them a call as they were very helpful and friendly. Well, I was able to modify it and all is good. There is probably an old thread I did back when if interested.

I think us vert guys need to stick together because as stated there are things about them that are specific to them. There was talk about starting a vert specific area but I believe there are so few of us that it might not get alot of traffic.

It looks like your power plant is built much like mine in my 85...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Very cool bwguardian !! Thanks for that info. I am looking to do the same replacement of my top w pads, liner, and lines for cylinders. Also doing all my dew wipes and window guides while I have car apart. Want the car to have good smooth working windows, good seals and a nice top for next car season.

--Bill

84gt350conv thanks for your info!! I am still not sure whether I am going to tackle the top install myself or have a friend of my dads who does top and interior work do it. Have to watch the install video and do a little more homework first.

--Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I think us vert guys need to stick together because as stated there are things about them that are specific to them. There was talk about starting a vert specific area but I believe there are so few of us that it might not get alot of traffic.
    + 1 for the vert guys sticking together due to the nature of the beast. There is a great deal of help across the forum for the general specifics of the cars which I am grateful for, but it is definitely lacking a little in the vert department. It would still be nice to have a vert specific area even if the traffic was not great.
    Brock

That is kinda why I started this thread , in the hopes of getting us vert guys a place to stick together and keep our specific info in one place.

--Bill

I also replaced all the dew wipes etc. when I went through mine. Another thing I remember relative to the outer dew wipes on the doors. First, keep the original trim for the wipe that clips down onto the door as it is made of aluminum and the units you will buy are metal and won't match color and texture wise. You can separate the rubber piece and put it on your original. Second, that vert specific trim that sits along the top of the doors attaches via some plastic sliding clips in the bottom which push down into plastic barrel nuts. Be careful when removing this piece as it is also aluminum and bends easily. There will be a half dozen holes in the top of the door. At the time, only the clips were available but I think they are now additionally supplying the nuts. What I did with mine was to get some grooved rubber O-rings that fit into the hole openings and allowed the clips to push down into them. This keeps any water out of the inside of the doors whereas the barrel nuts will not and we all know how these cars like to get rusty door bottoms. I would also clean any debris out of the inside door bottoms and make certain the drain holes are clear while in there. My car only gets sponge baths but I still went through the exercise of making it water tight. I did the same thing with the top well trim by picking up some caulk tape and laying it down between the body and trim.
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I just did my first replacement top.....
    Here is what I used to replace my top (I think my 88 top is close to the early tops?). The DVD from LMR-watched 3 times- took MANY notes!, download top replacement PDF and print it out. Chilton manual has a nice section on top replacement. _ replaced the top, pads, window, weather strip, cables. I used a heavy-duty air gun stapler. 3M spray glue. Took me about 6 hours.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Good to know folks!! Thanks for posting up, it is greatly appreciated.

--Bill

I'm so glad to see this thread. I think the audio/accessories section is pretty dead, a vert section might get more than that does. just saying.

Yep me too on the vert section.
    The Mopar site that I'm also on, started a 'vert section a couple of years ago. It doesn't get a lot of traffic, but 'vert specific questions get answered pretty quick.
    i think that's a great idea!!!
    Regards
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie4eyed View Post
    Yep me too on the vert section.
    The Mopar site that I'm also on, started a 'vert section a couple of years ago. It doesn't get a lot of traffic, but 'vert specific questions get answered pretty quick.
    i think that's a great idea!!!
    That is because we hang together and check on it. There are some threads in the Special Interest threads that have not had in any action in a long long time...just sayin!
    HAD

HAVE

Anyone change the rear dew wipes on their vert? Are they riveted to the quarter lip like I think they are?

--Bill

[hr][/hr]
    Anyone change the rear dew wipes on their vert? Are they riveted to the quarter lip like I think they are?

Yep, and those little boogers are tuff to get out of there. My hands were too big to get in there and after a bolt/nut combo and I had to get one of the kiddos to accomplish the task.
    HAD

HAVE

Thanks!

--Bill

I've got a Convert. Woot Woot

This is a task I'm not looking forward to...
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Very cool...and short!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast