Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1983 Sport Seats code HA and SMS Auto Fabrics

I ordered a fabric sample from SMS to have my seats redone and although the pattern looks correct the sample appears VERY dark. I guess that leaves me with a few questions. Also, I'm just talking about the insert fabric color, not the whole seat.

Are the seats in my car correct (HA)? They look just like the Mustang GT/Capri RS seats in the cars with black interiors from my fathers old car mags when these cars were new.

Could my seats be faded that much? I know they are a little faded for sure but this seems pretty extreme. My inserts have always looked grey and the sample they sent is more charcoal/black.

Does SMS always supply original fabric or will they supply reproduction or the closest alternative without notice?

If these seats were swapped out of a different 83 what factory colors were available in these sport seats? I've seen the ones I have, red, Crimson Cat and have been told they were also available in Pacific Blue (I have never seen this to my recollection).

Name:  2016-09-14 18.07.17.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  91.1 KB

I wasn't sure if I should post this in INTERIOR or RESTORATION but ultimately I would like to restore these seats and would like the correct fabric or I would just order a kit from TMI. Mods feel free to move this thread if need be.

Once again, thanks in advance. I'll upload a pic of the sample sent against my originals tomorrow if I remember to bring it in to work with me.

Crimson Cat seats (KA) were special. Not available in any other Capri or in Mustang.

All models except base and GT could get HB (Academy Blue) seats. GT could only get HA (Black) and HD (Medium Red) seats. Base models could not get Sport seats.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Maybe you could clip a swatch from the bottom of the seat in question, and send it to TMI. I've seen these seats in Blue (on this site), and also in Tan ('84?)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Crimson Cat seats (KA) were special. Not available in any other Capri or in Mustang.

All models except base and GT could get HB (Academy Blue) seats. GT could only get HA (Black) and HD (Medium Red) seats. Base models could not get Sport seats.
    I always learn something when you post. Thank you!

So the seats I have pictured are 100% HA and correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Maybe you could clip a swatch from the bottom of the seat in question, and send it to TMI. I've seen these seats in Blue (on this site), and also in Tan ('84?)
    I had considered that. I had even thought worst case to use the TMI foam/upholstery kits with fabric from SMS in the center. My rear isn't too bad.... If I'm patient I may even be able to find a nice set of fronts... I just want this to look right or it will bother me every time I hop in the car.

Door tag and build sheet both have code "HA" and no 'trim deviation' code (I don't know what that would mean anyway) so you did have Sport Performance seats in Black originally.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

My Sport seats in my '83 look like what's in your picture in terms of color/condition. Im curious to see the sample if you could still post.

Quote Originally Posted by ev5oh View Post
    My Sport seats in my '83 look like what's in your picture in terms of color/condition. Im curious to see the sample if you could still post.
    For sure. Here is the sample.

Name:  20161013_184229.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  94.1 KB

The more I think about it it seems to be growing on me, but at 95USD per yard I need to make sure I'm happy with it.

If I have half a brain in my head when I leave for work tomorrow, I will bring the sample, lay it down over the original fabric and post that image here as well as send it to SMS.

If nothing else I suppose I could tape it up in a south facing window for the winter and see how it looks in the spring... it may be correct but not color fast?

I shouldn't even be sweating these details yet while my ride is still 20% rust but I just love this kind of stuff.

FEP Power Member

What you need to find is the Ford Interior Catalog. It include color swatches but it is by year. I have the 84 book and it covers all models. It must be in a box someplace as I have not see it in a while. Maybe some 83 colors carried over. I'll look around for the book.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Excellent idea. I couldn't find one for sale but was able to steal this image from member negusm.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...steryBooks.htm

Name:  83_mercury_color_book_12.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  39.4 KB

So I'm not convinced it's a direct match. The catalogue sample still looks too dark to me but the pattern does seem closer then the SMS sample.

I forgot to bring my sample today to compare it but there's always tomorrow.

Academy Blue is the only interior color that carried over from 1983 to 1984. The red interior may look the same but the name is different. And the Sport Performance seating (code "H") was only available the first half of the 1984 model year. It changed to Articulated Sport (code "P") in mid 1984

1983 interior trim colors:
    Academy Blue (B)
    Black (A)
    Medium Red (D)
    Walnut (E)
    Opal w/ Black (W)
    Opal w/ Blue (Q)
    Opal w/ Red (N)
    Opal w/ Walnut (2)

1984 interior trim colors:
    Academy Blue (B)
    Canyon Red (D)
    Charcoal (A)
    Desert Tan (H)
    White w/ Blue (Q)
    White w/ Charcoal (W)
    White w/ Red (N)
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 10-14-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I was able to compare the sample to the original this morning. The lighting in my house must be awful because when I opened the envelope and looked at it in my front showroom it instantly looked correct.

I laid it down on what was probably the worst looking spot on my upholstery because it was the easiest to access without tearing my pallets of parts apart.

Name:  IMG_3208.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  112.7 KB

I'm a happy guy. This is the stuff. I know it still looks weird in the picture but my warehouse lighting isn't the best either.

FEP Supporter

Looks like a good match! It's amazing the differences in shades depending on the light source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Sad thing is I've been dealing with lighting and colour drift in the paint industry for almost 20 years now and it didn't even occur to me. It doesn't help that it's been dark out when I've left for work/arrived home for a while now so I couldn't even look at it outside.

I noticed you had made a comment a while back about booth filters and meant to pm you about what I have kicking around. If you are looking for filter solutions shoot me a pm sometime next week and I'll show you what I use in my spray booth.

I had the exact same concern with the HA Sport Interior in my 83 GT. I ordered the sample and I felt "no way this is a match". I even called them and told them mine was more gray than black. They said there were only 3 choices, black, red and blue. I found a really nice set of used seats and went with those because I knew they were original and correct. I have a need for another set now and am thinking of going back the SMS route. Did you order the material? I am interested to see the end result and find out how much of the center section material you needed. I think I would order that from SMS but the standard black material on the back and sides should be able to be found cheaper.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    I had the exact same concern with the HA Sport Interior in my 83 GT. I ordered the sample and I felt "no way this is a match". I even called them and told them mine was more gray than black. They said there were only 3 choices, black, red and blue. I found a really nice set of used seats and went with those because I knew they were original and correct. I have a need for another set now and am thinking of going back the SMS route. Did you order the material? I am interested to see the end result and find out how much of the center section material you needed. I think I would order that from SMS but the standard black material on the back and sides should be able to be found cheaper.
    Sorry, I didn't notice your post on this thread.

I haven't ordered mine yet but it is for sure the correct fabric, just doesn't hold it's color well. I will post a better pic later to demonstrate that as well as get you the quantity of fabric required as per another member who has already redone his seats.

Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  35.2 KB

This is a pic of the fabric sample from SMS against the fabric of my rear seat where the upper seat protected the fabric underneath it from the sun. 100% the correct fabric.

That said, another member here needed 5 yards of the insert material and 6 yards of the black. I'm hoping I can just find a nice set of front seats by the time I'm at that point for what the fabric is worth.
    Last edited by BLUECRAPI; 04-24-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    That said, another member here needed 5 yards of the insert material and 6 yards of the black. I'm hoping I can just find a nice set of front seats by the time I'm at that point for what the fabric is worth.
    That seems a bit excessive to me. I can't speak for the other member, but my understanding is that most Fox seats including the Sports seats only require 2 2 1/2 yards of insert material and about the same for the outer material.

I would recommend double checking with either a local upholstery shop or contact TMI and get their recommendation. They do offer the service of using your materials and their patterns to make new seat covers. The cost is essentially the same as buying their covers, but it's an option if you don't have a good local upholstery shop to do the work. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  35.2 KB

This is a pic of the fabric sample from SMS against the fabric of my rear seat where the upper seat protected the fabric underneath it from the sun. 100% the correct fabric.

What did you find out, I have the exact same interior in my 83 Capri RS and was going to order the kit for it... prefer to see how it comes out for you. Kep us posted!

I wonder if the original poster can speak to the results/ outcome? I I'm looking at ordwring the same Seat Covers for my 83 rs turbo. Direct from TMI and it is $611 or through CJ Pony parts it is $567 or through LMR where it is $511. All look to be working with TMI for the end product but Cj and lmr are very skittish about claims of match. Everyone uses different/ generic pictures which doesn't help.

SMS is going to be the only place you get a "match" and you better be prepared to pay for it.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Looking at SMS reviews they look to only be a last resort. A lot of people indicated they were not treated fairly by SMS. Has anyone ordered the HA seats via TMI without getting the fabric from SMS? If so can you post pictures?

Terrible company. They strung me along for 3 months saying they were going to ship my material. I have finally filed a claim with my credit card company. In the first place, it's terrible customer service to charge someone for the full amount when you know you aren't going to provide the material for 3 or 4 months.
    Edit: I got my sample in a couple weeks and they charged my card the same day I ordered it. Then 3 months with nothing but empty promises.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-18-2017 at 10:52 AM.

My understanding is the TMI seat covers are not correct for the 83 interior. Research led me to believe that they are solid black in the two fabrics like the 85-86 seats. Smooth bolsters and textured inserts. You are not going to get the striped patten original to the 83.

I have the SMS samples now. The price is a hard pill to swallow. Especially, when my seats are good-fair condition. The colors are faded, but are clean and uncut. I just need the driver piping done on the bolster, about 4".
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

I ordered the TMI samples for this same HA interior for my Capri and it was a solid black and a light grey with no stripes on it... very bad. So I jumped on SMS site and got their samples 2 days later, like was earlier reports it's darker then my Oem but much closer.

Tmi must consider their fabric to be free because if you order the fabric from SMS and send it to TMI to make the covers they still charge the same thing as if they had supplied the fabric. Has anyone ordered the fabric from SMS but not had TMI make the covers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast