Close

Default Car show judging

Hey guys, got a little question. I’ve been getting more into the car show scene. Placed a few times, but more so enjoying talking to the people that come around. People love seeing my 86’ mustang and constantly hear about seeing it brings them back to there glory days, or love seeing the basic engine setup under the hood.

However one show I do attend to seems to knock me out of the 80’s class into the Modified class, due to a three mod restriction. Which I do run with a cowled hood, running a 5-lug setup, and an exhaust system. However under the hood just glancing at it, I’m running an old Pro-M 77 and a Tubular GT40 intake. Is there any way of discounting so I can fit under the 3 mod rule?
    Example, my 5-lug setup is all Ford Factory stuff including the rims, it can be discounted since it’s factory parts even though it isn’t original to 86’.
    Or just try to see if the would get Modified exterior, exhaust and engine?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Glad you are showing your car. We need more Four Eyes out and about. I too enjoy talking to people at shows, and that my car helps bring back pleasant memories.

I'll offer you my perspective and opinion.

Unless you are at a show run by a national organization (MCA, AACA), or a show which is using their rules, the show organizers set up their own classifications and make their own rules. If you want to better understand their rules and/or lobby for a change, talk to the show folks. But realize most local car shows are volunteer organizations, and as such people working the shows are largely interested in simplicity and speed and minimizing stress, so they may not be all that interested in accommodating your specific situation or request.

If that is what you find, just kick back and enjoy the activities.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

The 2 big Mustang/Ford shows here in St. Louis are run by the 2 Mustang's clubs here. At one show my car was stock even though the tube header (Ford part from 90's Ranger) and steering wheel were not stock and they have that 3 mod rule and attendees vote. The other clubs show is done to strict MCA rules and judged by the club and mine having the header and s wheel put it in the mod class. I mainly put my Mustang's in a show for display only as I could care less about trophies.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I have been doing car shows for over 20 years. Almost everyone goes by the 3 mods rule.
    I have personally boycotted one show because of there lax of their classes even a little. They have a stock class and a modified class but do not care where a participant classes their car. The final straw was the guy with a chromed and blown engine , cowl hood , aftermarket wheels and god knows what else parked his car in the stock class beside me with my stock svo. I complained to the people running the show but to no avail. "It's the stock bottom end" he says. Low and behold guess who won in that class. The modded car.
    My point is you need to make up your mind. Do you want to show a stock car or do you want to show a modified car? If it didn't leave the factory in that configuration then it is modified. Period.

"If it didn't leave the factory in that configuration then it is modified. Period."

Amen......

the one exception ill make to this is the new car mod shops. ASC, Shelby, Yenko, Saleen, etc.

For those cars they are how they left the modder, or they are modified.

but agreed, they are either stock or they aren't.

How about just going to the shows, talking to people about your car and just having a good time?

You will enjoy going to car shows MUCH better and enjoy car shows MUCH longer into the future when you don't worry about the class you are in, where you place in the show and the cheap a$$ trophy you might win!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I agree with you vintageracer. I usually do just that but this was just an example that I had and just used to make a point about modified vs stock classes at shows. I have storage totes full of trophies in my basement. If I win, great and if I don't, oh well. I go for the enjoyment but when it looks like blatant and all out cheating I get a little upset.
    To me if you think you have to put your over shiny and extra fancied up car in a class full of stock restored cars because you want to win a trophy then take the money you paid for the registration fee and go buy yourself a trophy.
    Last edited by dagenham; 02-25-2018 at 10:55 AM.

So I could qualify as stock with my 79. I modified the suspension/drive train, the body and the interior. That's three mods

But seriously, my car does not have the chrome and bling factor that will draw votes. I'll just be going out to show it off a bit and have fun getting to and from the events.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I go to two shows per year that give out trophies. The first one is a Mustang only show where I've placed for a trophy numerous times. However, the last four years they've placed me in the wrong class and I didn't even care about not placing. The other show that I go to is a huge event where there's over 300 cars on display and my car is too tame compared to a lot of those cars, which are Pro Street monsters. It doesn't bother me in the least because I get to be in great company and I have a blast.

I've seen grown men bitch, complain, and cry over losing a $20.00 trophy. One of them was a guy complaining because I beat him in the judging to take the 1st place trophy. That guy will never be me.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

We run a show here and we also go by the 3 modification rule. If you have 4 mods...then you are in the modified class. As a car enters the lot, they are classed according to what has been done. As I have been judging shows for over 25 years, I get the job of classing every vehicle that enters. Every car/truck is classed as presented, with no regard for who owns it. But, I always do it in tandem with another person or two and I make sure everyone understands why a vehicle is classed the way it is.
    And...I can't tell you all the people that tell me their vehicle is stock. As for the judging, we bring in independent judges. This is so that we both appear and are objective. No one from the host club judges.

But, I've definitely seen a lot of shows where there are classes for stock, modified, exotic, mild custom and street machine...and they ask the participant which class they want to be in.

One show that has interested me is the Restomod Show in Reno Nevada. They have 3 different levels of modifications. 1 is bolt ons like wheels and tires, plug wires, air intakes and exhaust. 2 is where you bolt on different hoods or change the body lines. Different paint may be in this. 3 is where permanent major changes have been made. This is like metal work, roll cages, shaved doors handles, custom paint. Things where the car can't be returned to stock. to me, this helps to level the playing field.

But, in the end, a show should be about the people and sharing the enjoyment of the cars and exchanging ideas and talking about the stuff you have done. If you can do that, you have already won.
    Rob

If you like the car then you will leave every car show victorious. Car shows can be like politics sometimes. It’s best just to enjoy your ride and not care what others say. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, in the end, a show should be about the people and sharing the enjoyment of the cars and exchanging ideas and talking about the stuff you have done. If you can do that, you have already won.

X2

The Mustang club I'm in has a show and we put clones in the same class as the cars they are mimicking. I tell them if they want to look like one then they can be in the same class.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    One show that has interested me is the Restomod Show in Reno Nevada.
    Looks like they are doing an all car show this year vs. just Mustangs. I am busy on June 2nd, or I may have taken mine down for something a little different. It's only about 5 hours from me.