Close

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Who would intentionally position exhaust tips like that?!
    Only thing I can think of is that he was concerned about the symmetry of stacking them both on the right side of the rubber baby buggy bumper.

Whoever the guy is that's listing it is living in the 70's "high rise manifold?....Holley 640? (no such thing) Rally MAGS???? (who the hell still calls a wheel a "mag"?)

"I just ordered up a beer and sat down at the bar,
    When some guy walked in an' said "who owns this car,
    With the peace sign, the mag wheels and four on the floor?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    "I just ordered up a beer and sat down at the bar,
    When some guy walked in an' said "who owns this car,
    With the peace sign, the mag wheels and four on the floor?"

Haven't hear that song for awhile! In fact, I think I was around Jackson, MS on a Saturday night the last time I heard it.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I think both sides were intended to look like that. You dont see where the pass side muffler goes.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

FEP Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  118.1 KB

I picked up the car yesterday. Interior is not as nice as it looked in pictures. Several pieces of trim are dented, instruments lights don't work, and idle goes from perfect at times, 3000 rpm at times, to stalling at other times if I don't have my foot on the throttle. Having fun banging gears though. 1/2 way to Portland stopped for lunch and figured it was time for a pic. Engine & trans are from a 1992 Mustang.
    Last edited by Dr. Matt; 10-23-2016 at 03:56 PM.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Here's another nice one - http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5816611231.html. Cool color - never seen that before, and would have thought it was a more modern color.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Matt View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  118.1 KB

I picked up the car yesterday. Interior is not as nice as it looked in pictures. Several pieces of trim are dented, instruments lights don't work, and idle goes from perfect at times, 3000 rpm at times, to stalling at other times if I don't have my foot on the throttle. Having fun banging gears though. 1/2 way to Portland stopped for lunch and figured it was time for a pic. Engine & trans are from a 1992 Mustang.
    Curious about how you handled importing it. I've heard/read that with a non-original engine configuration, it's really difficult. Was that the case for you, or did it just not get caught? Did you use an importer/broker for the paperwork?

Sorry to hear you got what sounds like a little bit of mis-representation on the condition of the car. Hopefully you can get it sorted without too much hassle!
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I think I may have found a new winner for this thread: $11,500 for an '80 Zephyr wagon with 84k miles on it.

This one still pops up on CL. They were originally asking $11.5k back in January, now they're down to $4800 - http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5866369963.html.

FEP Member

It couldn't have been easier. I got insurance on the car before going to look at it so I didn't have to buy the rediculously expensive Canadian insurance. No sales tax. Only cost was buying temporary registration for 5 days. I was at the border crossing into the USA for maybe 15 minutes. I pulled up, told them I was bringing in the car I was driving. He told me to pull up to the Inspection area and go inside. I went in with my purchase paperwork, proof of insurance, and registration. The agent looked at it, asked if the VIN on the car matched it, went out and looked through the windshield to confirm, had me sign a few places, and we were done.

As far as misrepresentation, it wasn't quite as good as I hoped. He never claimed it was a full restoration, just fresh paint and ran great. The paint looks great, it's just some of the trim that's not perfect. Bumper chrome isn't shiny new, but the car is 37 and unrestored. As far as the erratic idle, well, definitely not a deal breaker. The car is going to end up with a modded 408 and twin turbos, so if fixing drivability on the current engine combo isn't as simple as I expect, it will be irrelevant once there is a big roller cammed stroked 351 in it.
    Last edited by Dr. Matt; 11-12-2016 at 12:37 AM.

FEP Senior Member

Just curious, how did you obtain insurance for a car that has not yet been into your country, without your name on the paperwork from your country? I have done the opposite, buying vehicles in the USA, and bringing them home to Canada. In 1992, I bought a 1969 Fairlane Cobra in California, after first seeing the car a few weeks earlier , I flew down to LA, the seller picked me up at the airport, we went to a notary public to have a sales statement made up and witnessed, I jumped in the car, and headed North for 1500 miles (an adventure in itself!), when I got to the Canadian border, I went in with my paperwork, and was in and out in 10 or 15 minutes. However, after 9/11, things got a bunch tighter. A few years ago, I bought my F350 dually from a racing buddy in Oregon, that he factory ordered new. These days, to bring a US vehicle into Canada, you need to have your vehicle paperwork submitted to the US Customs for a minimum of 72 hours of business week, so they can do a check for the vehicle history (liens, stolen vehicle report, ,outstanding recalls etc) before they will allow it across the US border, and even then, when you show up with the vehicle, there is more paperwork involved. And once you are allowed to bring the vehicle into Canada, you can not have the vehicle registered in your name, and insured, until the vehicle passes a government inspection, and if the vehicle is newer than 15 years, only selected shops can do the inspection. Much more hassle.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

FEP Member

I called Haggarty Insurance and opened a policy effective the day I planned to buy the car. If I didn't buy it I could have called them and cancelled it on that day, but by doing it in advance I had all the paperwork to prove I already had full coverage on the car when we went to the Canada insurance office, (where Canadian car sales are handled). All Haggerty needed was the VIN & the $280 it cost to insure the car for one year at a declared value of $10,000. I have to have the paperwork from customs showing I brought the car in to the USA before I can register it though here though. I explained what I was doing to Haggarty Insurance and it was no problem for them to write a policy in anticipation of buying the car.

Not sure, but I think the lack of inspection has to do with the age of the car. From what I read on line vehicles over 21 years old do not need an inspection. We do not have any emissions inspections where I live either. Also, according to the border agent, technically I wasn't "importing" the car since it was manufactured here, I was just bringing it back.

Wait, you make it sound harder to get into Canada than to get into the USA! I've heard of a few celebrities who may be disappointed to learn that, LOL.

RE: Import restrictions

When I was researching it, I found some online info. that they had removed the age limit, so it didn't matter how old. The car I was interested in was a 1965 AMC wagon, but it had a Chevy small block in it. I'd read that any time there's a non-original engine configuration, it can make it difficult or impossible to import. I would have been a little less concerned with your Fairmont, since it still had a 302-based engine, and 302's came in Fairmonts from the factory. Sucks to think I may have missed out on an awesome car for an awesome price!

Hope you can get the bugs ironed out and have some fun with the new ride before you start with the new engine build!
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

FEP Member

There was literally no question about mods of any kind. Not sure if that varies by border agent or not. If they did look, mine is catless so......glad they didn't look!

I'm sure erratic idle & no dash lights on a Fairmont will be simple compared to, oh fixing anything on my CL65, lol. I actually already have a 408 for the car, makes around 450HP.

Since I'm not bringing the car up until next summer, going to just enjoy driving it with the 5.0 until next winter. After all, I still daily my CL65 and bracket race it. Still shooting to improve my best in that from 10.73 to 10.6x. Of course, if something ever happened to my Mercedes I might have to try & swap that 6.0L TT V12 motor into the Fairmont. I suspect it would be hard to get it to hook with over 900#' of torque though, lol. Here's a YouTube vid of the Fairmonts younger brother doing work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfbVGC_G-zw

FEP Senior Member

Pretty darn impressive Benz! What dragstrip is that, and where?
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.

FEP Member

Alaska Raceway Park, in Palmer, Ak.

I love the Merc. It runs pretty good for a 4700# car with 2.65 gear ratio. Unbelievably quiet and smooth as well with every luxury you can imagine.

looks like you have a couple very fast Fords yourself!
    Last edited by Dr. Matt; 11-14-2016 at 01:03 AM.

It happens with everything as they get older. Simply and demand.

Here's another one.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5906755907.html

Again, very nice, but probably worth about half that.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Here's another one.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/5906755907.html

Again, very nice, but probably worth about half that.
    If I had $4500, I'd buy that car in a heartbeat. Unmolested cars, in good condition, are getting hard to find. Figure how much time and money it would take to make a beater look that nice, inside and out, and that car is a steal. OK, not a steal, but the price doesn't seem that far off the mark.

FEP Senior Member

I agree, these cars are over 35 years old now, and 2 door sedan Fairmonts were not really all that common . Since Fairmonts and Zephyrs were basic, transportation cars, many were treated at such, poorly maintained, unloved, and when major repairs were needed, most were junked. So after all these years, not many nice ones left. I have owned my 78 2 door sedan since 1986, and this car looks at least as nice as mine was 30 years ago. If somebody is seriously looking to buy a nice clean Fairmont 2 door sedan, they are few and far between. $4500. doesn`t go very to repair a 35 year old rusty, banged up car, with a thrashed interior, especially a car with no aftermarket sheet metal or interior kits available.
    Last edited by mcfairmont; 12-26-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Excuse me, i apparently wasn't aware, but according to this month's Car Craft, these cars are "exploding in popularity". The article talks about G-bodies, non-Mustang Foxes, and some others. Should be a fun article to read, but I'll believe it when i see it, as far as F/Zs go. All i know is, even at the biggest car shows, I only see maybe 1 or 2 others besides mine. That said, I'm not a drag strip guy, so maybe that's where they're all hiding.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

How's this for some perspective?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/6088144088.html

Runs and drives, no rust, straight body, $900.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    How's this for some perspective?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/6088144088.html

Runs and drives, no rust, straight body, $900.
    Oh man, you got my hopes up. I thought you found a virgin box top for $900.

Quote Originally Posted by mrriggs View Post
    Oh man, you got my hopes up. I thought you found a virgin box top for $900.

Relax, the dude doesn't know its got an I6 in it...

82 Ford Fairmont Futura in decent condition runs and drives straight body no rust V6 motor $900 or best offer for more info you can contact me at

Haggle 'em down to 450 ping for "mis-information" lol

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Aint no Craig list in line etiquette.

in the old days, when someone said it had the "peace sign, the mag wheels and four on the floor" it had been smoked, shot, raced, rallied and rolled, then they'd had Noel Coward style recreational adventures in it. Heah!

Back wen I was a boy...There was a lot more info with a lot less talk....

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Back wen I was a boy...There was a lot more info with a lot less talk....
    The way it should be ... nothing irks me more than a buncha razzle-dazzle BS. Stating "straight body" accompanied with photos showing some rather large and obvious dents down both sides... well... lol...............
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast