Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LT-84GTturbo View Post
    It's going to take a little time to recover from this unless PB comes to their senses.
    I feel like this is probably one of those times where things are never the same. As much as i wanted my build thread to help people, I don't have the time to go back an replace all the links with Flickr ones or whatever. I've always wanted to have a "how to" of how I built my car so others can do some of the same things if they want without all the trial and error I've had to go through. At first, I thought Cardomain was the answer for that, but NOPE. That was sold and reformatted. Let's try the old tried and true car forum. NOPE, now all your pictures are gone, sucker!

Amazon and ebay people? Well, they've got money to motivate them to fix things....
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I signed up for an account with flickr and wanted to give it a good test drive. So I went back and replaced all the photos in my race report threads mainly to get the practice using the flickr interface. It's definitely different than PB but in some ways I like it better. I think what PB did without any warning was a dick move, but life goes on. I used PB for years and never paid a dime, so I really can't complain.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Supporter

I just got the email today and the ransom notice via email. I'm in the same boat as you all now.

Depending what they exactly mean by "High Capacity Storage", gather 199 friends each of whom will contribute $2.00 to become part of new PB user "FourEyedSuperuser". The password is known by all, each gets a subdirectory to work out of.

Voila! Instant PB screw-back.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Depending what they exactly mean by "High Capacity Storage", gather 199 friends each of whom will contribute $2.00 to become part of new PB user "FourEyedSuperuser". The password is known by all, each gets a subdirectory to work out of.

Voila! Instant PB screw-back.

Mike
    Now, that I like.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'm late to the party, anybody try Imgur?

FEP Supporter

I thought I had a plan in order to help replace the photos in my thread posts but it does not look like it will work.

My plan was to change the [IMG] links to direct links. I would have thought that would be the internet link to the image in my PB library. The problem is that if you direct link this way, the image does comes up in a new window but it is the ransom image still. Frustrating because that does not seem to be "3rd party hosting" by their definition. I thought this would at least allow me to figure out exactly what image was in which post to make it easier to replace with another 3rd party hosted site.

Plus an observation last night is that only random (although a majority) images in some threads - even though they are in the same PB library - are blocked.

A little more thought required for this...

I just went back through several of my saved threads to see if the pics were still there. It seems that nearly every build thread was sans pics now. I had many saved for future reference when I was repairing or restoring.....what a bummer.
    So far the pics that I have posted are still there..........I wonder for how long.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I'm late to the party, anybody try Imgur?
    I have some (few) of my photos in Imgur and they are still working.....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Most of my threads have been sacked, guess I have a lot of work to do moving all my photos to my website server and relinking them here.

Over the last few years Photobucket has almost become unusable since Ontela bought them out and they officially became Photobucket Inc. The site has so many advertisements and popups now it is almost impossible to navigate from page to page. I have been toying with the idea of switching to my own hosting for the last couple of years. I understand that they need to make money but this is ridicules! My only guess is their user base has dropped so much since the ads have increased exponentially making their site almost unusable! This ransom attempt is the last act of a sinking ship to make their site more profitable. My guess is there is no amount of bailing that is going to save this sinking ship. This will no doubt be a huge blow to their user base just from the standpoint of there are still services out there that provide the same thing for free that don't have the oppressive ad bombarding!

I have used Photobucket for almost 15 years out of habit, so I guess it is my fault I have so much work ahead of me. I'm just a creature of habit seeing as I have always had a website/server to store all my photos. When I first started posting to a lot of message boards back in the late nineties, my server/website storage was done per MB of usage per month and photobucket was free, so it totally made sense to use them to host my images seeing as it was costing me money to host the images myself. Now that Photobucket wants to charge, it doesn't make sense to pay for both. They are hoping people will be too lazy to move the images and just pay the ransom. For me it's the principle that they gave no notice and their site as of late has been substandard at best. I refuse to pay for substandard when I already have another option that I am currently paying for.

Gonna have to set aside several days to chase down all my posts here and change to the new locations of the photos. I just need to find the time to do it!

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 07-08-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Photobucket finally blocked my photosharing capability yesterday. Giving flickr a try, I guess. Spent the last couple hours uploading photos and editing my posts with new links. Fortunately, I've only posted a couple dozen pics so far.

Logged onto my photobucket account to download some of my photos during the migration process. Funny how much faster their site runs with nobody on it.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

I lost my capabilities yesterday also along with a couple hundred pics that I had stored on several albums on Photobucket.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

So this is what happened. I thought I had a jacked up profile setting or something. Here's to to PB ����
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

So this is what happened. I thought I had a jacked up profile setting or something. Here's to to PB 
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Wow, I had no idea about this. I've been on PB for close to 10 years. I hadn't used it recently but I was already thinking of migrating to another platform.

Yah just got the "some features from your account will be disabled" email today.
    Right. Being free and linking is one of the main reasons i chose them.
    I have many links from them here too to help others and to share pics.
    Guess will start over somewhere else when the time comes.

Excessive Ads and pop ups are slowing all sites down.
    Then you get "upgrade and increase your speed" from the isp.
    Why- so more ads can appear?
    Just like cable and sat in the early days had no commercials. Now people pay for them.

So maybe it wasnt such a bad idea to be paying PB $40 a year for the past decade for my account. So far all my stuff is fine.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Yah just got the "some features from your account will be disabled" email today.
    Right. Being free and linking is one of the main reasons i chose them.
    I have many links from them here too to help others and to share pics.
    Guess will start over somewhere else when the time comes.

Excessive Ads and pop ups are slowing all sites down.
    Then you get "upgrade and increase your speed" from the isp.
    Why- so more ads can appear?
    Just like cable and sat in the early days had no commercials. Now people pay for them.
    I was watching a car show the other day on Velocity channel and just got irritated at how the shows are literally just turning into infomercials. We pay nearly $150/month for cable and internet (no movie/sports packages or anything) just to be bombarded with ads. I'm getting fed up with society lol

Particularly irritating is the inability to download your whole "bucket" to jump ship the he|| outta there. So, they are making it as painful and irritating as possible to just do that. Sub-directory by sub-directory (I have MANY), and image by image is download-able though...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by deathbypsi View Post
    So maybe it wasnt such a bad idea to be paying PB $40 a year for the past decade for my account. So far all my stuff is fine.
    Hopefully it will stay fine but I doubt it since they now want $399/year if you want 3rd party hosting, and really, what else did anybody use them for?
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I decided to join Flickr, no ads so I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by deathbypsi View Post
    That is just a temporary reprieve. I think you fall under this category on the Photobucket site,

3. What users are affected by the changes to our 3rd Party Hosting
    policies?

Moving forward, new and legacy free account users will NOT have third party
    hosting available.

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,
    you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
    Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
    subscription.

Non Plus 500 Account subscribers that purchased after June 1, 2017 will not
    have access to 3rd Party Hosting.
    Dave

1FABP28M4FF114537 bought 12/84 sold 1992
    1MEBP79M8FF613099 bought 9/13 sold 10/19
    1FABP28M4FF166315 bought 3/12 sold 5/21

1FABP28T7FF239068 bought 10/14
    1FABP28T9GF181465 bought 10/14

Probably futile, and on deaf dollar-stuffed ears, but I nearly boiled over

"I wish to download MY entire "bucket", which I have been able to do in the past, and now am unable to do. I just jumped through all of your goddamn hoops to download numerous sub folders worth of images at a time to zip files to my email, and MINUTES later, NOT your stated 12 hour period to download, the links send me to pages that tell me the downloads are no longer EFFING available. Enough of wasting hours of my time. Instruct me precisely how to download MY entire "bucket" so that MY images do not go down with the sinking ship run by bean counters that photobucket has become. Thank you."

Hours and hours and hours later, no reply...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Probably futile, and on deaf dollar-stuffed ears, but I nearly boiled over

"I wish to download MY entire "bucket", which I have been able to do in the past, and now am unable to do. I just jumped through all of your goddamn hoops to download numerous sub folders worth of images at a time to zip files to my email, and MINUTES later, NOT your stated 12 hour period to download, the links send me to pages that tell me the downloads are no longer EFFING available. Enough of wasting hours of my time. Instruct me precisely how to download MY entire "bucket" so that MY images do not go down with the sinking ship run by bean counters that photobucket has become. Thank you."

Hours and hours and hours later, no reply...
    I got a reply when i contacted them through their Facebook page. Maybe try that?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Just got an email saying i cant link images.

Kinda funny, thats all i used photobucket for. Never got the email for "updated terms of use" so i guess im screwed too. I signed up for photo bucket in 1997. I have over 10 years of videos and pictures on it. Everything from my newborn (about to turn my ex wife (haven't spoken in 5 year) and over 10 years worth of pictures documenting car build, modifications and even wiring diagrams and pictures to show stuff to help out others along the way.

Photobucket can **** off. Essentially deleted my account with no notice and now i can't even download or retrieve anything.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast