Close

Default Mecum Auto Auction

I have been watching Mecum and Barrett-Jackson auctions for years now.
    Why do the cars at Mecum sell for a quarter of what they would bring at Barrett-Jackson.
    Most of the cars have a reserve, so the owner will not sell below what he is asking, so that factor is not an issue.
    I have always felt that the cars sell for way more than their value at Barrett-Jackson.

3 Fox Mustangs have been up for sale today. I missed the first one, the bidding on the second got to $8500 and did not sell, and the 3rd sold for

The best car sale so far was a 1971 Maverick Grabber for $26.5. Not price wise, just one that I particularly liked.

The auction is live at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Mecum-...erm=ustream.tv
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Wow! Apparently no love for the SVO at Mecum. There was a really nice looking red 86 SVO that sold yesterday for $5750. Would have loved to be able to buy either that one or the one you posted above for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    I have been watching Mecum and Barrett-Jackson auctions for years now.
    Why do the cars at Mecum sell for a quarter of what they would bring at Barrett-Jackson.
    Most of the cars have a reserve, so the owner will not sell below what he is asking, so that factor is not an issue.
    I have always felt that the cars sell for way more than their value at Barrett-Jackson.

3 Fox Mustangs have been up for sale today. I missed the first one, the bidding on the second got to $8500 and did not sell, and the 3rd sold for

The best car sale so far was a 1971 Maverick Grabber for $26.5. Not price wise, just one that I particularly liked.

The auction is live at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Mecum-...erm=ustream.tv
    I thought Steven Cox, one of the "color men" for Mecum was a Mustang guy. He claims to own a Foxbody notchback and he's always the one they turn to when a Mustang rolls onto the block. Today it sounded to me like he:

1. Really doesn't like the SVO (which is crazy because the SVO is one of the greatest foxbody's to come off of Fords assembly line). All he was talking about is how bad the 4 cylinder turbo motor is and that most people just dump 302's into them.

2. Knows nothing about the SVO at all. He made a comment that the owner of the car pictured above must have retro-fitted the headlights because the lamp is recessed, and not flush with the other lights. Did anyone else hear that or did I misunderstand? I only comment because he's supposed to love Foxbody mustangs, and he's the "expert."
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Senior Member

Topgear...I just heard the same thing....what a tool!!! Flush headlights!!

FEP Senior Member

I think Mecum is better that Barret, prices while still high for the average guy definitly dont seem no where near as ridiculous
    1984 1/2 GT 350 finally done (well almost)
    2012 Focus SEL
    1971 Ranchero - needs bodywork
    1995 F150 4X4 Flareside - it is fun!
    2014 F150 Tremor - Holy Smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by bscottie View Post
    I think Mecum is better that Barret, prices while still high for the average guy definitly dont seem no where near as ridiculous
    I 100% agree with that. My favorite kind of cars are the ones people actually drive. I can't stand trailer queens, and for some reason the same car will sell for 10-20K more if it's at Barrett-Jackson. I really enjoyed going to BJ, but I would never buy a car from there. Plus if your like me and you watch these auctions all the time, Mecum shows you 20 times the amout of cars BJ does. If you like watching cars cross the auction block watch Mecum, if you like commercials and over priced cars watch BJ.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    I thought Steven Cox, one of the "color men" for Mecum was a Mustang guy. He claims to own a Foxbody notchback and he's always the one they turn to when a Mustang rolls onto the block. Today it sounded to me like he:

1. Really doesn't like the SVO (which is crazy because the SVO is one of the greatest foxbody's to come off of Fords assembly line). All he was talking about is how bad the 4 cylinder turbo motor is and that most people just dump 302's into them.

2. Knows nothing about the SVO at all. He made a comment that the owner of the car pictured above must have retro-fitted the headlights because the lamp is recessed, and not flush with the other lights. Did anyone else hear that or did I misunderstand? I only comment because he's supposed to love Foxbody mustangs, and he's the "expert."
    i was watching it what a ass, and it went for the right price
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

was watching last night when i got home from work. i had to back it up and listen again to make sure i heard him right. you would think these guys would have some clue about the car before making a statement like that.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

I like watching Mecum for the variety of cars, especially on the opening days. But those
    commentators are often goofy with their assertions. But adding insult to injury a Chevy
    Vega (driver/survivor) also hammered for 5 grand. Ouch!

What network is the Mecum auction running on?
    I saw it last year on Speed (I think) but I could not stand listening to Alan Decadenet as the announcer. I've grown comepletely tired of Barrett-Jackson and the whole crew. They make the same lame comments every year, same lame jokes, and the numerous commercials are just beyond annoying. (The only guy I like is Steve Magneti?. He seems to stick to the facts without all the BS and fluff.)

Quote Originally Posted by richstang View Post
    What network is the Mecum auction running on?
    I saw it last year on Speed (I think) but I could not stand listening to Alan Decadenet as the announcer. I've grown comepletely tired of Barrett-Jackson and the whole crew. They make the same lame comments every year, same lame jokes, and the numerous commercials are just beyond annoying. (The only guy I like is Steve Magneti?. He seems to stick to the facts without all the BS and fluff.)
    Mecum is on Velocity network.

The variety of their auction is way more interesting than BJ.

BJ is all fla$h and fluff and smoke and mirrors!

It streams live here.
    http://www.mecum.com/infonet/in_vide...live_video.cfm
    No commercials just constant live auction footage. Just have to give them an email address.

I watched a little Mecum this week at work. I missed the fox's though. I think auctions are nuts, and couldn't see myself ever running one of my cars across the bock.
    one last deal to make.

My take on most of these auctions are that about 90% of the bidders are investors who don't know much about cars and probably have never had a speck of grease under their fingernails.

I've seen BJ many times and I still think that something stinks. Mecum tends to have slighlty lesser quality and henceforth lesser priced cars.

As far as the commentators, I've noticed that these guys generally don't know squat about any of the cars. I've heard tons of mistakes when talking details or options.
    Greg

95 Bronco 4WD 5.0, auto, 3:55 rear- daily driver

86 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0, 5 speed, 3:27 gears

68 Firebird 400, ported 6X heads, 068 cam, Muncie 4-speed, 3:55 gears

Quote Originally Posted by luigiB View Post
    Before going to an auction, it's very important that you are aware of government and law enforcement auctions. There are many examples nationwide of law enforcement auctions involving drug dealer cars. Take a recent Butler County Sheriff’s auction in Hamilton, Ohio. Residents were allowed to bid on vehicles formerly owned by known drug dealers. Article source: Auto Auction.
    There are many examples nationwide of law enforcement auctions involving drug dealer cars. Take a recent Butler County Sheriff’s auction in Hamilton, Ohio. Residents were allowed to bid on vehicles formerly owned by known drug dealers, including such classics as a candy apple red 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS, canary yellow 1969 Chevrolet Camaro, black 1970 Chevette SS with racing stripes and a 2006 Chevy Silverado pickup. There was even a 2004 Cadillac Escalade owned by convicted former University of Cincinnati and NBA basketball player Corie Blount, who was sentenced to a year in prison for drug charges.
    I haven't seen a Chevette in like forever!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Barrett Jackson is an EVENT!

Mecum is an AUCTION!

The BIG money is at an EVENT so they can be seen, heard and talked about. This is true of any event that IS the BIGGEST YEARLY EVENT in whatever hobby/business you wish to talk about.

Mecum Florida is STILL just a classic car auction. Yes it is the largest classic car auction in the USA but as been said many times for many different reasons "Size Does Not Always Matter"!!!!

Barrett Jackson was also once just an auction. I started going to Barrett in 1988. Boy have things changed at BJ Scottsdale!

The BEST way for anyone to answer the original posters question is for you make a trip to Scottsdale in January for the week of ALL the auctions and events. Then go the following week to Mecum Florida. Then you will understand why "Overall" NICE RARE CARS bring "Mo Money" at BJ in Scottsdale than ANY Mecum sale anywhere!

Yes! There are bargains at BJ just as there are at ANY car auction. It's all about the "Right Car At the Right Auction at the Right Auction Time Slot". Yes there is a real science to knowing what to car take to what auction and what time the car runs across the block. When you consign at BJ they TELL YOU what day and at what time your car will run like it or not. At Mecum you negotiate when your car will run based upon who your are (bigger consignor better spots) what kind of cars you are bring to the auction and what those cars are worth. You are NOT going to see a $10K Mustang cross the block on Saturday at these auctions!

An auction is NOT as big a gamble as many folks think it might be. Spend the time GOING TO AUCTIONS (Not watching on TV) and you will start to see what I mean!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 01-28-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Barrett Jackson cars are usually over-restored, but the ones on Mecum are either more like what the average person would build or actually correctly restored and not overdone.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Every car guy should go to Barrett-Jackson to witness how a car 'event' (in this case, an auction)... can turn into an EVENT. Very interesting. I was there in 2012.

Makes me think of the Super Bowl. How many people in attendance even care about the game, or for that matter even care about or understand football? Many are there simply because it is an EVENT and they are privileged to attend.

I witnessed something similar when the NBA All-Star Game was in Houston last year. My teenage daughter and I are pro basketball fans, so we wanted to go, or at least go to some of the Saturday events (slam-dunk competition etc.). The tickets, even if available, were astronomical. The players, and their entourages, were staying near where I work. There were zillions of people trying to see them, and gridlock was unbelievable. Another 'game' turned into an EVENT.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

Barrett-Jackson has done more harm than good. Now rare cars a left to rot in back yards because people think they are worth a pile of cash and refuse to sell.
    1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by black1980fiveoh View Post
    Barrett-Jackson has done more harm than good. Now rare cars a left to rot in back yards because people think they are worth a pile of cash and refuse to sell.
    They raise a lot of money for charity though.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Senior Member

Mecum is a glorified car show.I could watch 20 cars roll across the block and maybe 2 would meet the reserve and sell.
    Does anyone know what the percentage of cars at Mecum that actually sell? 20%??.I remember them saying but can't recall.

I can't stand Craig Jackson saying over the mic,"this car is worth way more money".No you ass,it's worth what people are willing to pay,but I get more enjoyment watching the no reserve BJ auction than Mecums rolling car show.
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManRiver View Post
    Mecum is a glorified car show.I could watch 20 cars roll across the block and maybe 2 would meet the reserve and sell.
    Does anyone know what the percentage of cars at Mecum that actually sell? 20%??.I remember them saying but can't recall.

I can't stand Craig Jackson saying over the mic, "this car is worth way more money". No you ass,it's worth what people are willing to pay, but I get more enjoyment watching the no reserve BJ auction than Mecums rolling car show.
    From the Mecum Auction in Kissimmee >>> LINK:
    Dana Mecum, the founder and president, has set the lofty goal of auctioning 3000 consigned cars, a staggering 74% increase, for Kissimmee this year. In 2012 the Mecum crew managed to sell 1564, almost 75% of the 2155 lots that crossed the block. That is an impressive sell through percentage for a “reserve” auction and if it holds for 2013 Mecum will sell more cars than it consigned the year before, a staggering amount of cars.

I'm registered with Mecum ---- and if you register at the Mecum website, you can see what cars sold and for what amount.

If you look at Craig Jackson's eyes closely, you'll see that he has green dollar signs instead of pupils. J/K Craig.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

They raise a lot of money for charity though.
    true, which demontrates most evil orginizations are not a 100% evil LOL I'm sure there are some tax write off they can make by doing this.
    1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Why do so many here on this site feel the need to spread so much hate & criticism towards a man (Craig Jackson) who is wildly successful in his chosen occupation, employs LOT'S of people in the Scottsdale area, his companies EVENTS contribute MILLIONS of dollars to the local economies in which his EVENTS are held and runs a business that facilitates the donation of MILLIONS of dollars to charity????

Class envy?

Jealousy?

Mad at your own life?

Why all the hate and criticism??

I don't get it!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

For me, I don't hate Craig Jackson. I applaud people who are good at their craft. All that I was saying was that he likes his dollars ---- but that's not a bad thing.