Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheap Chinese suspension parts

Has anybody actually used the cheap "DLZ" suspension parts on their cars?? I want to hear from actual hands on use. Yes I know they are made in China and that they're cheap, and that some guy with a lifted Toyota had a broke ball joint.. found that myself with google.. but really thats all that is out there on these items. I wonder if they are any good?? Moog parts are great replacements, but they are way expensive. There is a seller on ebay called "world suspension" who has ball joints, inner and outter tie rod ends for $48 shipped. Thats a good price and just wanted to get some input from you guys. I dont want to gamble with bad parts but who dosent want to save a little money when possible.

We have crappy roads here in Montreal, I'm talking REALLY crappy. Chinese suspension parts usually last around one year here, whereas Moog can last at least twice that. Personally, I'd never put anything chinese on a car I intended to keep more than 6 months.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

You get what you pay for and a suspension/steering failure can KILL YOU!!!!
    Buy American!!!!
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkysexplorer View Post
    You get what you pay for and a suspension/steering failure can KILL YOU!!!!
    Buy American!!!!
    agreed 100%

risk your life and the lives of others to save a buck? I know MOOG parts are a little pricey, but MOOG or TRW are the ONLY suspension parts I will use.

Besides, how many Chinese people help pay your salary?

Buy American. Chinese crap is just that...crap.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Default regular car parts

Had a TT GPS that lasted 18 months. Warranted one year.
    Touchpad quit. The unit though good, is rendered useless.

Price does not necessarily reflect quality.
    Brand does not necessarily reflect quality.
    Country of manufacture does not necessarily reflect quality.
    Fancy ads or packaging does not necessarily reflect quality.

Have bought good and bad going by price, brand, and country.

Mfg profit margin dictates product outcome?
    Usually at max profit or extra low price results in a crappy part.

Offer upgraded item or several levels of choice? Red flag.

Very high price tag gets a good product and lines exec pockets.
    They never pass any cost cutting to the consumer.

Take the food industry
    Candy bars, snacks, cereals, fast food.
    Either raise the price or cut product size.
    They have no stability nor seem to try.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-12-2015 at 12:44 AM.

I work for a parts store and our most popular suspension parts are moog. Here's the thing though, about 90% of their parts are made in China! In fact very few parts are not made in China, but thats for another thread.

^ Welcome to the global economy nightmare.

The thing about Chinese made (anything) is how strict the OEM is about QC. Do they do
    all their own engineering? Do they have QC at the manufacturing plant? If the process is
    monitored from material to finished product, Chinese made parts can be as good as any
    parts made anywhere in the world. Garbage in, garbage out.

That said, I do believe that all Edelbrock parts, including suspension and steering parts
    are made in America. At least that's what uncle Vic says!

Another thing to watch out for is fraudulent language.

"Assembled in America" isn't the same as "Made in America"

Well the only good thing is China cut off our credit.. we have been downgraded! So we can not buy too much cheap China products.. I guess India is looking better every day!
    Charge it!
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Wait. The entire global economy is a scam devised by Western banks and corporations to make money on the transaction of money rather than the manufacturing of finished goods. I'm not sure anyone understands how it works, or if it in fact does work at all. For example, China doesn't really lend us (per say) money, we are the biggest buyer of Chinese goods that are largely manufactured by American corporations. When we buy Chinese goods, they end up with US dollars, that is now trillions of US dollars. Since they only buy raw materials from us, there is a deficit, so they take that money and buy US Treasury bonds or other Wall Street investments. The low life bankers and traders make a profit on both the transaction, and those wild up and down up and down movements in prices. Meanwhile, we are stuck with poor wages and rising unemployment because the manufacturing base in our country has been moved overseas. And the loss in tax revenue is crippling our democracy. Real wealth is created when labor is applied to resources (commonly known as manufacturing). That is why the rich keep getting richer, while the poor keep getting poorer. Now these barons and thieves will tell you it's because of the big bad boogyman they call the government. In part that is true, because the government was the one that allowed these crooks to form a global economy without restrictions and regulations.

Coming from a glorified rest stop on the Montanabahn

Here! Here! Well said! Too bad so few understand this. I suspect that has something to do with the massive propaganda machine they call the media that is running full blast at the task of obfusication 24/7.

I had the same dilemma today on some lowering springs, man those prices are tempting. I bought a cold air intake a couple years ago and it was fine but i thoght better of the springs and bought some steeda's for just a little more.
    85 GT Dying breed

The guy with the Tundra installed "OE brand" ball joints if you read the thread. The seller, World Suspension, has switched brands from Original Equipment (the brand)(OE) to DLZ. DLZ is sold at Advance Auto, Rock Auto, and other large retailers. DLZ has ISO 9001 certification and other engineering ratings on their parts. I've found them to be of exceptional quality, on par with anything Moog produces. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me that DLZ manufactures Moog parts, since DLZ manufacturers parts for OE manufacturers (car companies, not the cheap brand of aftermarket parts), and nearly all Moog products are now made in China.
    "
    I've put many, many miles on a suspension rebuild using DLZ parts, and the car still rides like new. I specify this brand now when doing any suspension work, and used nothing but DLZ parts on the rebuild of my F150 front suspension. I spent 2/3 of what Moog or other brands would have cost, and am quite happy with the results.

Dan
    Dan Aiken

'85.5 Jalapena Red SVO, cloth, roof, 52k miles bought from original owner.
    '79 Pace Car #7 - Pre-production prototype and Indy Airport Display Car, sold and awaiting body off resto
    '79 Indy Pace Truck #3607
    '79 Indy 500 go-kart
    '94 F250 Indy 500 Safety Truck #2 (used at the race) - will be for sale soon
    '15 Mustang Ecoboost, (my DD)
    '03 Crown Victoria LX Sport (a Marauder without the motor)

The thing about Chinese made (anything) is how strict the OEM is about QC. Do they do all their own engineering? Do they have QC at the manufacturing plant? If the process is monitored from material to finished product, Chinese made parts can be as good as any parts made anywhere in the world. Garbage in, garbage out.
    This is quite important to realize, one can buy crap parts that were made anywhere just as one can buy very good parts made anywhere.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Wait. The entire global economy is a scam devised by Western banks and corporations to make money on the transaction of money rather than the manufacturing of finished goods. I'm not sure anyone understands how it works, or if it in fact does work at all.
    The 'global economy' has been around for the 40+ years, it's been working so far.

For example, China doesn't really lend us (per say) money
    Yes they do, they are one of the biggest buyers of US debt (savings bonds).

we are the biggest buyer of Chinese goods that are largely manufactured by American corporations. When we buy Chinese goods, they end up with US dollars, that is now trillions of US dollars. Since they only buy raw materials from us, there is a deficit
    They buy very few raw materials from us, in fact I can't think of any major materials they buy from us.

so they take that money and buy US Treasury bonds or other Wall Street investments.
    They do buy bonds, but they are not heavily invested in Wall Street, they have their own stock markets to invest in.

Meanwhile, we are stuck with poor wages and rising unemployment because the manufacturing base in our country has been moved overseas.
    Wages have historically gone up, and unemployment is going down again (finally).

And if you want to talk about wages and unemployment, the average Chinese factory workers makes less in a single 12-14hr working shift than a US 'factory worker' makes in a single hour.

If you don't want manufacturing jobs to go overseas, stop buying products made overseas (not YOU specifically), but it's quite easy to see people justifying the purchase of goods made overseas to save a few bucks (because there are threads like this every few days).

Default 30 day or 'lifetime' warranty

"The thing about Chinese made (anything) is how strict the OEM is about QC. Do they do
    all their own engineering? Do they have QC at the manufacturing plant? If the process is
    monitored from material to finished product, Chinese made parts can be as good as any
    parts made anywhere in the world. Garbage in, garbage out."

A 'lifetime' warranty is ???. One day?
    Or 30 days means can fail at any time after?
    One would assume lifetime means as good as it gets.

Then you go to exchange your failed lifetime product.
    OOps.. The company no longer is in business, they changed hands, store substitutes 'equivalent'.

Cars and trucks nowadays more blueprint perfect than they ever were.
    The only way complex design can be made to work.
    Result jacks up the cost. Immediate and future.

Blame mega time consuming electronically generated data and the free for all trusting of its calculated decisions?
    Calculated right/wrong, or perceived calculated benefits/drawbacks?
    + or -, no gray areas or middle ground, either rich or poor?

Everywhere, no guilt accountability and spending sprees. Pass everything on to consumer or taxpayer.
    Along with no choice tactics, restrictions, penalties, wherever possible.
    They will never have enough money and may never figure that out or desire to.

Hats off to those honest ones who work hard to control costs plus offer value for the dollar over the years.
    Used to be in the majority, now becoming the minority.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-12-2015 at 01:31 AM.

Well I'm Canadian,to buy a Moog ball joint was going to cost me $103 for a lifetime warranty,to buy made in China,90 day warranty,$17.91.For the 2000 klms I drive my Capri every year,guess what I did.
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Sucks we are losing jobs to China, but modern economics is extremely complex. In fact, there's less than 100 people in the world who understand it completely. The rest of us are only trying to make some sense of the nonsense.
    Last edited by 1984mustanger; 02-13-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    Present cars:
    1984 GT turbo t-tops

Wish list:
    1984 Predator
    Capri ASC McLaren Coupe
    1980 Cobra 4 spd
    1979 Pace Car
    (In order of Preference as well)

I haven't had any issues with the parts i bought from them last year. I bought 4 ball joints and control arms. They are still in the works and working great.
    I will order from them again if i need to

World economy, origin of design/manufacturing, etc. aside the real question is: How does the part perform? I look more for a performance record when buying parts from a company I'm not familiar with. If the product is so new to the market that there isn't enough user feedback out there I have to make a decision to take a chance or wait. I consciously make the decision to risk or not risk, therefore I must accept the consequences. A perfect example of this process is the last time I purchased a saw blade. All Blades had a new product from Japan. Super high quality steel, superb design, etc. Stratospheric price. They also had the same blade, SAME COMPANY, same engineering, same alloy, manufactured in a Chinese factory, supervised by Japaese management. Cost 1/3 less. I "took a chance" because I felt the manufacturer had done their best to keep the quality high while keeping their production cost low therefore transferring the savings to me, the customer. That blade is killer good. Some companies will lower production cost by using cheaper, poorer performing raw materials. The real question for me was not where it was made but by whom?

Another one is 'Designed in USA'

Working at a large, long time in business OEM automotive parts manufacturer;
    Believe you me, the new component parts (domestic and globally sourced) are not junk by far.
    Everything is required to pass thru many very strict QC procedures before, during, and after manufacture.
    A couple non-critical parts are sourced from China. Appear to be of consistent high quality as expected.

The auto companies (customer) spec exactly what to manufacture and what they allow to be used for the components.
    We obtain materials, etc, figure out how to manufacture product, then ship per order requirements.

Companies submit bids on contracted work.
    If selected, they win a contract to do the work.
    Key is what they do with the money awarded for the work, which determines result.

Defective product? The company eats it, unless proven the material supplier or OEM erred.
    No matter who or how, the product has to go out the door correct and on schedule whenever possible.
    Keep screwing it up?
    You may lose that contract to another company and possibly future new primo money making contracts.
    Worse, have to close the doors.

Then there are the mgmts who aim to bankrupt a company, parachute, then do it again somewhere else.
    They make/sell the products to watch out for.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-12-2015 at 03:19 AM.

All interesting views on global economy. While you guys were sitting on the couch solving the worlds problems I went ahead and bought the cheap Chinese parts and put them on my car. I totally agree that it completely sux that nearly everything is made in china and that so many jobs communities industries have been ruined as a result. The problem is that its nearly impossible to find ANYTHING that is made in USA. Autozone, Advance auto, and especially O'Riley's is all made in China. Heck, even some Moog is made in china now. All I wanted was some feedback on some parts. I can not see a reason to give my money to some big auto parts giant when I can get the same thing for much less.

Sure its frighting to consider risking you and your familys well being on suspension parts that can turn you into a grotesque twisted mangled body in charred ashes from a catastrophic crash and burn. OH The horror!!! The horror!!

So here is the follow up. 4 years down the road and they're still fine. Inner and outter tie rod ends plus ball joints. No problems, and no issues. Thank you very much. Quality is likely better than the stuff Ford used to begin with. If one of them breaks tomorrow its no big deal. I just throw it in the trash and order another one. Granted my foxes dont get driven that much but I see no issues at all. So there you go. Real feedback from a real user.

Buy American, Buy American!

Sounds GREAT however some times 'Things" are NOT necessarily what they appear to be.

You would be surprised how many automotive parts and many other items you "thought" were made in America are just "Re-Boxed" in America so YOU think they are American Made since they are in the box of what once was and may still be American manufacturer still making "some" of their parts in America!

Welcome to the "NEW WORLD"!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

As previously stated........ It's not where it was manufactured but the integrity of the company behind the product that is most important. That said, given two parts for the same job and equal quality, I would always choose local product over foreign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast