Close

Default Best Concrete Sealer

Howdy, fellas. Looking for some guidance on concrete sealers.

Have a new shop going up and want a clear concrete sealer to protect the fresh floor from stains. Not interested in any paint/color coatings. The finish on this floor is smooth — no broom was used. Moisture barrier was also used before slab was poured, but anything that will add additional moisture seepage is a good thing. Main concern is keeping it looking the best it can for the foreseeable future. Drip pans will be used under all the cars, but the eventual spill will happen along with grease/dirt from working on stuff and want it to be easy to clean up and not leave unsightly stains.

Lots of options out there with wide price ranges. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.
    Kent
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Back in the early 80’s the driveway at the house my parents owned was pretty well spalled from salt, snow, rain, studded tires, and shoveling snow. Winter in Pittsburgh will do that. My father decided to put a skim coat of cement and sand over the bad areas. Sprayed on a latex bonding agent, let dry, then sparge away. After it cured we sprayed a coat of 50/50 boiled linseed oil to turpentine. That coat lasted many years after the house being sold. I went back to check it out every now and then.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Eagle Gloss Coat was recommended by another member here. I almost went with that when my garage was finished, but I came to the conclusion that no type of paint, epoxy, or sealer was going to stand up to the amount of abuse I had planned. Any amount of money I spent was just prolonging the inevitable. Having said that, the Eagle stuff did look nice and the price is good.

I looked into epoxy paint. Again, I knew it wouldn't hold up in the long run, so the ease of touch-up was going to be a factor. That means a solid color, instead of the flaked epoxy. The flake looks awesome and they even use that as flooring on our boats (I work on the river...line haul boat). It holds up well to heavy foot traffic, but floor jacks, jack stands, engine hoists,etc will probably do some damage and I didn't want to have to try and match the flake every time I touch it up. Evidently, the flake provides strength to the final product, so just using the solid color coating seemed less useful.

We use some really good exterior coatings on the boats that I thought of trying out as a concrete paint. We use a 2 part grey coating by Carboline that is really tough and not too expensive. Touch-ups would be simple. There's another brand that has similar coatings, but the name escapes me. I'll have to find it because I'm planning to use one of their epoxy coatings as sealer for my project cars. It's about $35/gallon (a litt less than the Carboline). These are industrial coatings used for pipeline, maritime, oil rigs, refineries, etc. They're made to handle solvents and harsh environments.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 10-26-2021 at 07:40 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Appreciate the info. Will research Eagle Gloss Coat and Carboline. The 50/50 boiled linseed oil to turpentine sounds very interesting as well.

Thanks

Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Thanks, Mike. Been reading up on that product. Have you used it?

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    Thanks, Mike. Been reading up on that product. Have you used it?
    I havent yet, but that is the one i will be using in my basement and driveway
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    I havent yet, but that is the one i will be using in my basement and driveway
    Thanks. It's definitely reasonably priced compared to a lot of the stuff I'm seeing out there.

International was the other brand I couldn't remember. The product I was looking at was "Interseal 670hs". It's a semi-gloss high solids epoxy primer that is suitable as a topcoat. The info I read said it was suitable for different substrates, but worked well as a direct-to-metal coating. Sounds super tough but I'm not 100% on how it would bond to concrete. I checked the price a few months ago and it was around $35 per gallon, but they were having supply chain issues and it was backordered. I still plan on using it if I can get it...mainly as an autobody primer/sealer (and maybe undercoating/chassis paint).
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    International was the other brand I couldn't remember. The product I was looking at was "Interseal 670hs". It's a semi-gloss high solids epoxy primer that is suitable as a topcoat. The info I read said it was suitable for different substrates, but worked well as a direct-to-metal coating. Sounds super tough but I'm not 100% on how it would bond to concrete. I checked the price a few months ago and it was around $35 per gallon, but they were having supply chain issues and it was backordered. I still plan on using it if I can get it...mainly as an autobody primer/sealer (and maybe undercoating/chassis paint).
    Thanks, Bronco. Reading up on their site now. Lots of info there.

Youngest brother did his garage floor with epoxy and flakes. Used a floor grinder prior. Looks like dealer service floor.
    A dropped jack stand will mark it. I would have done solid color. Flakes make dropped parts harder to see.
    Prior to coating, had large rubber mats under the cars. Kept dampness in check. Grampa had tile in his.
    Coatings can be slippery when wet. He hates oil spots. Uses brake cleaner to do accidental drips on drive.
    Dog does not like to walk on new floor. He will sit on his carpet like an island or boat in the sea.
    Warehouses and factories have the clear coatings. Wew mega sq footage.
    We were told not to drag metal racks with forklift and scratch it. Friction kind of released burnt plastic smell.