Well I got sick and tired of not having a working fuel gauge in my Fairmont. I had read the tech article on the front page about using a Ford Tempo unit to repair a Mustang setup. The Mustang and Fairmont sending unit look completely different but figured it might be worth a try and see if it would work. In my haste to get it together I neglected to get and pictures of my swap. The Fairmont and Tempo units are bent in opposite directions so felt it was better to rework then trying to bend the new one to match. I used the stock pickup assembly and cut the wire to the sender, leaving it long. I then measured the pickup tube from the bend to the very end where the screen it. Then I marked and cut it off right next to the sender. I then measured the new (Tempo) unit from the end (screen) to the sending unit. They are almost the same length so I cut the new (Tempo) unit leaving about 1/2" long from the sending. I then took a piece of steel tubing and fit it over the old pickup tube and tacked it into place with my welder (low heat). Then I fit the new sending unit tube to the small adapter pipe and made sure it was oriented properly and taked it into place. Then with a wet towl at hand I slowly welded the to tubes fully keeping it as cool as possible. I then soldered the wires back together and heat shrinked them. Reinstalled it into the fuel tank and she works like a charm. It may be a little easier to remove the plate that holds the sending unit on but was worried about damaging it. Well not the best description but it worked great for me.