Close

Default '86 MAP Sensor Vacuum Line Location?

I attempted to replace my MAP sensor vacuum line today. Although it did not have a leak, it looks old and weathered, so I thought I would replace it.

I tried to locate where it connects under the top maniford (I think that is what you call it) with my Ogre hands but could not find it.

I then attempted to remove the top manifold. I had all the bolts out except for what appeared to be a bent arm bracket near the firewall. That bent arm bracket is connected with a double nut at the top and bottom of the arm. When I tried to remove the lower nut it stripped out. At this point I gave up and put everything back together.

Three Questions:

1) Where does the vacuum line connect to under the manifold? Any Pic's?

2) Can you hook up this vacuum line without removing the top manifold?

3) Is there any kind of write up or walk through for DIY beginners on how to remove the top manifold. Pictures really help.

Again, any information or help on this is much appreciated.
    ******* Greg *********
    '86 Mustang GT - Sold

'O3 Mustang Cobra - Completely stock with only 5k miles

'05 Dodge Ram Daytona

That nut at the firewall needs to come off. It's best to come out with a short 1/2" socket on a long 3/8" drive extension. You may have to get creative, soak the nut/bolt in WD40 overnight. Try a 7/16" 12 point socket and hammer it on, if the nut is completely stripped, you might get lucky. The bracket bolts to the lower intake bolt but is kind of hard to get to. If you don't feel capable enough, take the car to a mechanic shop and ask them to just remove that nut. Bring it home and the rest of the job is super easy.

Remove the air inlet pipe from the airbox to TB. Next, remove the 3 T20 Torx bolts holding the upper intake plaque. It's best to put the socket on the bolt and tap it with a hammer to help loosen it up. These are a pain if they strip. Then you should remove the two coolant lines going to the EGR spacer, get some 5/16" bolts that you can use to block the lines while you're working, make sure the car is cool otherwise coolant will spray out of these lines when you remove them from the spacer. After this you can remove the throttle cable and bracket, use a flat screwdriver between the throttle cable and the ball that it attaches to and pry it off. There are 2 bolts for the bracket, I think they're 10mm. Removing the throttle body and egr spacer is not necessary, but can make things easier if you've got a strut tower brace. Disconnect the vacuum lines going to the PCV valve in the lower intake, remove the vacuum line at the fuel pressure regulator (red) and remove the vacuum line for the MAP sensor. Remove the 6 bolts and 1 nut holding it place and lift up, usually they come off pretty easy.

That being said, you shouldn't have to remove your upper intake to get to the connection spot for the MAP sensor, I'll try and get a picture of the vacuum "tree" that comes off of the upper intake and goes to varying places. The inlet for the MAP is right beside the big hose for the vacuum tree at the back of the manifold. I think it's a 1/4" line. If your hands are really that Ogreish, then you would probably benefit from removing the upper intake, it's going to be kinda hard to get the PCV hose back on in the very back of the lower intake when you're putting it back on but it'll still be pretty easy, even if you've got AC. Hope this helps.
    SS
    1986 GT T-Top 5.0, waiting on trans and IRS swap.
    1988 GT Ragtop, 5.0, T5, 3.73, 03 Cobras with Nittos
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

When I was messing around trying to figure out all the lines under the upper intake I removed the PCV hose and reconnected it.

If I can reach that can I get to the MAP vacuum line connection? Is it anywhere near this location, or futher back?

I could always have the wife stick her hand under there if I knew where it was supposed to connect.
    ******* Greg *********
    '86 Mustang GT - Sold

'O3 Mustang Cobra - Completely stock with only 5k miles

'05 Dodge Ram Daytona

Use a small mirror and a flashlight to see under the back of the upper manifold to get an idea of where it goes.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels