Close

Default 79 draw through carbs

I have a 79 capri with a draw through set up. Does anyone know if this requires a different carb than a NA 2.3? Is it just jetting? Does anyone know what jets are in yours? I believe my carb was swapped with an auto store special but I have no way to tell this. I do know it runs like crap. Help!
    Kerry

Hey I just wanted to reply because it sounds like you need help. Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'veread that the draw through turbo setups don't need any special carb setup.

This may not help, but it may at least bump your post

A little input on 79 turbo draw thru carb. This was differen't that a N.A. carb in vac. settings for secondary to open and if you have a adjustable waste gate you may use toh O.E.M. draw thru carb and remove the secondary jet and install it in the main jet and the main jet drill out 2 sizes over the secondary jet. There is also a vac. stall delay that is used in the vacum controled emissions (see the double stacked booster amplifers) mounted on drivers side inner fenderwell. You may want to purchase a Holly 500cfm adapter plate to adapt the 500 cfm 2bbl carb but the adapter is in excess of 1" tall and unless you machine about .250 off the top and bottom of adapter your stock RS or Mustang turbo hood will not clear, (I had to use the smallest cowl hood 2") to clear aftermarket small air cleaner. Highly modified 2.3 turbo draw thru running 10.91@122.00mph. pulling 1.30g on 300' skid pad. Turbotom

Turbotom, You are running 10.91 with the draw through set up? I didnt think that was possible. I read that these are terrible designs. I want mine close to factory and I love the looks and comments when people see the set up on my car. I have been considering changing it because my car is a dog. I heard stories of these thing screaming, but I have owned NA 2.3s that would have smoked my capri turbo. I dont expect to reach 10 secs but I NEED to be able to smoke some hondas and VWs. thanks for the help,please lis more of your mods or some that may help me.
    Kerry

Default 79 2.3 turbo carb

OEM tagged D9ZE-ND is a
    1979 2.3 turbo with a/c 5200 carb.

D9ZE-MD tag=1979 2.3 turbo non a/c oem 5200 carb
    Same specs except for main jet sizes.

Non-turbo 5200 carbs are NOT the same.
    Certain non-turbo 5200 versions can be recalibrated to work ok with stock turbo engine.
    Non-turbo 5200 carbs run too lean for a turbo engine. Engine will run flat if at all.

In 2000 I special ordered a reman carb, from parts store, shipped direct from Holley.
    Looked 'like new' pretty. The carb was WAY off, making the car a dog too.
    Still had the old one. Swapped out some internal parts. Problem solved.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-07-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: rewording

FEP Senior Member

Hey turbotom Im sure we'd all like to see that 10 sec. draw thru mustang. Can you tell us more about it, maybe some pics.
    Neal

I second that notion! I pretty much resigned myself to run a blowthrough setup, but if I could hit 11's with the draw through, I'd rather keep it.

Post up some specs!

Turbotom, the Motorcraft 5200 does not have vacuum secondaries. It is mechanical on ALL of them. Are you sure you are thinking of the right carburetor?

gr79- what book is that you have that shows jetting for carburetors????? I have been trying to find such a book and have not been able to!

kckeener- Using gr79's info, you need to be most concerned with the 2 numbers under "main jet" and "high speed bleed plug." Your main jets are down in the bowl and they are stamped with their flow ratings. The high speed bleed plugs are at the top of the carburetor body when the top choke section of the carburetor is removed. They are right next to the 2 venturis. I have several Motorcraft 5200 carburetors here at the house from various Fords from 1974-1982 and ALL of them had different jetting. If you need more jets, you can buy jets from Weber. Get ones that fit a DFEV or DFAV. The main jets are sized differently by Weber. They used millimeters and not the flow rating. The jets you take out of your carburetor are rated for flow. I have a conversion chart that will tell you the Weber size you will need. Your high speed bleed plugs and idle jets are sized the same as Weber sizes theirs. Oh, and the engine I got from you is in real good shape! I have it pretty much apart now and I think I'm just going to get an oil pan for it and paint it and it's ready to go!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Default 1979 perf. spec book

Carb, trans, emission specs are in the spark plug one at the far left.
    This was/is an additional cost supplement to the 1979 white/blue Ford service manual set.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-07-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: rewording

That is awesome. I didn't know anything like that existed. I wonder if they are available for 80-86 also.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Default Ford oem shop manuals

For say the 86, try a search for '1986 Ford Lincoln Mercury Car Truck Mustang Manual'.

Lots of used oem manuals at big swap meets, ebay motors, etc. The only way to get the right one is to actually see the contents to determine if its of value as to what you need. Helminc.com has clues as to what book to look for. They had all in stock back then.
    Some publications are not listed anymore, out of print, discontinued.

Like say owners manual=is exactly what it is.
    If it says tech specs, it could be anything.

When i get a new ride, i budget extra cash right then to get them.
    Have had to replace some. Plain wore them out. Better them than the car.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-07-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: rewording

I have shop manual sets for 1986 and 1980 and they are awesome. I just never knew Ford published carb settings in a manual. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for those at the swap meets!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Last edited by gr79; 07-05-2009 at 01:49 AM. Reason: font

Play400

I have the factory Ford manual for 1982 and it covers the Canadian 2.3 turbo. The carb is different from the 1979-81 version as well as the number of vacuum switches on the driver fender.

Let's here more of that 10 second draw thru and on the Holley 500 conversion. Do you still use an electric solenoid to set the idle so that it will still close the barrels completely and not allow it to diesel when shut off?

Default check the boost?

Quote Originally Posted by kckeener View Post
    Turbotom, You are running 10.91 with the draw through set up? I didnt think that was possible. I read that these are terrible designs. I want mine close to factory and I love the looks and comments when people see the set up on my car. I have been considering changing it because my car is a dog. I heard stories of these thing screaming, but I have owned NA 2.3s that would have smoked my capri turbo. I dont expect to reach 10 secs but I NEED to be able to smoke some hondas and VWs. thanks for the help,please lis more of your mods or some that may help me.
    Kerry
    I raced my brothers Chevy Cavalier Z24 V6-automatic on a wet rainy day in the 80's. Overall it was pretty even. Stock, they will beat an old poorly running or driven 302 and others.
    Remember they are not a 426 hemi or a Buick GNX V6.
    I wont street race. Just hole shot the pest at a light, hit 2nd, then shut down to keep em guessing like it would be no contest. By then they passed you up, full out, showing off what they got or don't got.
    If they get a drag racing ticket or break something, you automatically 'win' big time.
    If they guess the game and stay even or you look at him, you might have to take the chance and run em.

After checking the carb for correct parts, plug in a vacuum/boost gauge to see what kind of boost and idle vacuum you have. Engine has to be close to spec to get any extra boosted power.

Capri/Mustang 2.3 turbos are pony cars, not dog cars, hiding a mysterious reputation worth keeping.
    We here can go from there to try and make it right and you happy like we are!
    Last edited by gr79; 07-05-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Carb specs are from the one at the far left with the picture of a spark plug.

This was/is an additional manual, offered by the publisher, to supplement the 1979 white/blue Ford service manual set. This one contains data for 1979 only.
    Wouldn't happen to have those scanned for electronic distribution would you??
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.