Close

Don Hardy

Default 1979 2.3 turbo Engine Pics required please!

As the header states, My friend Steve and I have a 79 Turbo 4 Pace car that we are putting back together at the moment, we are at the 'getting engine to run' stage but we have lots of vacuum lines either missing or re routed!

Could any of you kind lovely people help us poor Brits our with some underhood pics of a bone stock set up, preferably with the air cleaner off but anything would be great!

We do have a EVTM booklet as a guide, but theres nothing like some good pictures!

Many thanks in advance.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=45846

There's a couple of carb'd turbo pics on the first page.

My pics won't help unless you have california emissions. I do have a strong working knowledge of the diagrams and how everything ties together with both California and non-cailfornia emissions. If you want to get it right, I can send you the schematics you need with the abbreviations to help you decipher it all. Your best bet is to pretty much pull the spider out then reconnect it. Then you can check for vaccum leaks and breaks in the lines.

Last edited by Sellis1012; 09-16-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

Mine aren't nearly as nice but there are a lot of photos in this thread.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=56324

Let me know if you need anymore shots.
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Don Hardy

Gents,
    many thanks for your pictures, they will go a long way in helping us out.
    The main issue with this car is that the attempted resto was done with someone with no clue about these cars (or any cars it seems!) it somehow had two front wiring looms in it, how anyone could have worked that one out is anyones guess!!
    It also had the fuel line from the pump connected to the return side of the carburettor, the list is endless and is one of the reasons that I just dont trust any of the positioning of the Vac leads that are currently there!

Sellis 1012, thank you for your offer of help with the wiring/vac hose diagrams, I am sure we may well be picking your brains shortly!! The car is a non Californian by the way.

many thanks once again,

I have some service manuals for a 1980 but the vacuum diagrams are probably the same.
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

FEP Supporter

North of Seattle, near the "Four-Eye-Field-of-Dreams"

Sellis, Did I send you the 79 turbo book, I have photocopied few times for other members. If you have that book, with my own notes in it, can it be scanned and sent to him as a PDF file ??

Neil
    Check out the Northwest "4-Eye" BBQ here >>> WWW.NWFOUREYEBBQ.COM

foureyebbq@hotmail.com (to be put on the BBQ list )

Lots of pics of my ride for your viewing pleasure....
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052657/1

1986 SVO
    Last edited by 8T6 SVO; 06-22-2010 at 11:20 PM.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Quote Originally Posted by WHTLTHR79RS View Post
    Sellis, Did I send you the 79 turbo book, I have photocopied few times for other members. If you have that book, with my own notes in it, can it be scanned and sent to him as a PDF file ??

Neil
    Neil,

Yes, you sent it along. Once received I realised that it was the exact same book I already had. Another member here needed the book so I sent yours along to him after copying the notes. Are you thinking the copied version would be easier to scan?

8T6 SVO Thats a fi turbo won't help him
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

FEP Supporter

Sellis, yes I am...it would be a good way to get the info to him. We are a paperless world now, arn't we ??
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by 83rsturbo View Post
    8T6 SVO Thats a fi turbo won't help him
    Sorry,

I thought I was posting to the link above.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Don Hardy

Gents,
    we would really appreciate a copy if you have one.
    Just as an update, we got the car running on Thursday night, the first time it has done in over 15 years!
    After changing the fuel pump, connecting the plug leads in the right order (how you can mess up just four leads is beyond me, but the previous owner managed to!!) and a lot of sweating and swearing we did get her running for a few minutes.
    At this stage we really have no vac lines hooked up so now is where the fun starts!

Thank you again for your continued help,

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hardy View Post
    Gents,
    we would really appreciate a copy if you have one.
    Just as an update, we got the car running on Thursday night, the first time it has done in over 15 years!
    After changing the fuel pump, connecting the plug leads in the right order (how you can mess up just four leads is beyond me, but the previous owner managed to!!) and a lot of sweating and swearing we did get her running for a few minutes.
    At this stage we really have no vac lines hooked up so now is where the fun starts!

Thank you again for your continued help,
    these are the two primary things you need. You might have the schematic under your hood that you'll want to butt up against this one. You need to study the schematic, then study and figure out what each piece of the puzzle is from the abbreviations. If you have a question about what a particular piece is, take a picture, post it up and I will be able to tell you what it is. I pulled out some skills from basic electronics in the Air Force and traced out all the lines with different colored pencils. So you will want to print these out. I can e-mail you the pictures and if you can put them on photoshop you can make them bigger. They are quite clear on photoshop. SHould work in Word as well. The cut off abbreviation is VVVAC-Vent Valve Vacuum.

RNR#1 and 4 are the metal vacuum lines.
    MAN PLNM is your vacuum tree at the front of your engine.
    SPK RET is the set of switches by your washer res.

Please notice on the schematic where it says "front of engine". That is accurate. All the pieces should be in close vicinity to where they are on the schematic.
    Last edited by Sellis1012; 10-03-2008 at 09:06 PM.

FEP Supporter

And remember that if a vacuum line looks very long on the drawing, it might be fairly short in the engine bay....all the long line means is one thing is hooked to another thingy.

Neil

Thanks for the pics and info guys, much appreciated. I did manage to get the car to run & idle again after replacing the plugs and leads, I also hooked uo up the vacuum advance on the dizzie too. Now we are getting somewhere!!

Unfortunately most of the vacuum tree/ vacuum pipes are missing, were most of them just for emissions purposes, could I do without them?

Steve
    Steve B
    1979 Pace Car 2.3 Turbo
    1989 GT 5.0 Auto
    1981 T-Top 2.3 RHD (Half share)
    1979 Pace Car 5.0 Auto (Half share)
    1980 Cobra

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2520872

Quote Originally Posted by 79pace View Post
    Thanks for the pics and info guys, much appreciated. I did manage to get the car to run & idle again after replacing the plugs and leads, I also hooked uo up the vacuum advance on the dizzie too. Now we are getting somewhere!!

Unfortunately most of the vacuum tree/ vacuum pipes are missing, were most of them just for emissions purposes, could I do without them?

Steve
    You definitely need to make sure the switches on the fender are hooked up. Vacuum to the wastegate must be hooked up. Most of the other stuff is emissions and cold/hot running related but when you start deleting parts of a designed fuel setup you risk running rich or lean.

FEP Supporter

so, where are we at with this?? did the diagram make sense?
    Neil

We are a paperless world now, arn't we ??
    unfortunately yes. this kind of crap is hurting my dads business. use more paper! lol using less paper isnt saving trees BTW. paper is made from pulp. which comes from the leftover branches and logs that the mills didnt want. scrap wood basically. sorry for the highjack. just needed to share lol......continue
    79 cobra- rockin the efi 2.3T again.

2007 lifted F-350 Lariat Outlaw 4x4
    83 Porsche 944
    01 GSXR 1000

Sold: 96 f-350, 69 baja bug, 86 XJS v12, jeep j-3000, wagoneer, 95 f-250, 89 LX 5.0 and a few others