Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike1157

Hmm, and again the very essence of why Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger exists today is because the three cars derive from the original notion that "mine is faster than your's".
    Fast is a perspective. A stock combination to one can be "fast". And yes, there's always somebody with more money. So, to bring it back around, If my goal was to go as fast as I could for what little money I had, It'd make sense to me to do it as efficiently as possible.

In the current world, where the little boys still piss in the snow V8's are still the go-to's, and in that regard, there is still no substitution for cubic inches,......still.

But tomorrow in itdontmatterland......

* Typical conversation at the local hang out in anytown USA, 10 years from now......

"Hey uhh,......Not that it really matters who wins,.....you wanna run that fully electric against my fully electric? Again,....it won't matter anyway, but ya wanna?. Then, afterwards we can go home and compare families, accomplishments, jobs, and house sizes."
    Last edited by Mike1157; 07-19-2016 at 07:49 AM.

Sorry, I have no idea what you just said.

Also, do you care for me to list the many modern, big inch, turbo, supercharged, exotic cars that I have beaten at the stop lights with my lowly Fox 302 with good heads, cam, intake, and well sorted chassis?

Everything is relative my friend.

The 429 is more at home in the bigger engine bay of larger cars.

1971 429 Ram Air C6 hardtop real nice car

I always liked those hardtop 71-73 Mustangs!

I need to get one before all the good cheap ones are gone.

I had a '71 fastback for a short while, that no doubt came originally with a 351C, that somebody had put a 400M into, so somewhat more engine width, and the engine bay room (specifically the distance from spark plugs to shock towers) was anything but roomy. IMHO, I have found the Fox chassis vehicles with their smaller strut towers and seemingly further back firewalls as to engine position to seem much roomier than it's ancestors', and even roomier than my they-shrunk-em-some-from-previous-full-size-cars-but full size '81 Mercury Marquis under hood.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

What about a 70 coupe? I have one but really haven't started working on fixing it up. Too busy working on the pace car, 88gt, and to some extent, my 82gt. I've read that a 429 will fit and others say the shock towers will need notched out. Attachment 102840

It has a running non-roller 302 in it now (not original motor). I was planning on finding something a little more interesting to put in it.

True PF79..There's no denial that things are as you say. The brave new Ford world is at the door.

But the sound of a Big Block 385 series V8 just widdling in the snow is nicer than the sound of a chihuahua whizin' on an electric fence....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDa1ZNPcfMA

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    What about a 70 coupe? I have one but really haven't started working on fixing it up. Too busy working on the pace car, 88gt, and to some extent, my 82gt. I've read that a 429 will fit and others say the shock towers will need notched out. Attachment 102840

It has a running non-roller 302 in it now (not original motor). I was planning on finding something a little more interesting to put in it.

Notching required for 385's unless you use some really trick exhaust manifolds....there were inner chassis changes for the 1971-1973's, similar to the Torino. Bunkie wanted the 429 in there. It was only for the Semi Hemi 429, they had to notch the spring towers. If you compromise a little on headers, you can avoid metal work. Have a look at any 69-70 390 or 428, they were hard to fit in unless the cast headers were radically reduced in bolt number and section size. Its almost as bad with the Lima 385.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Notching required for 385's unless you use some really trick exhaust manifolds....there were inner chassis changes for the 1971-1973's, similar to the Torino. Bunkie wanted the 429 in there. It was only for the Semi Hemi 429, they had to notch the spring towers. If you compromise a little on headers, you can avoid metal work. Have a look at any 69-70 390 or 428, they were hard to fit in unless the cast headers were radically reduced in bolt number and section size. Its almost as bad with the Lima 385.
    We'll, I guess I could go ahead and upgrade to a mustang 2 IFS. It still has manual front drums, which I plan to upgrade anyway. As it turns out, it won't cost much more to upgrade the entire front suspension. Then, I can just nix the shock towers.

This thread still going? Lol.

Just thought I'd add some useful info. As far as the width goes I think that with exception of the brake booster, the 460/429 fits better than a 351 in a fox mustang. Spark plug access is better, as is getting a wrench on the header bolts. Length isn't that big of a deal, height can be tricky depending on what intake you use, but you can run into that with a 351w swap too.

Okay, you'll can resume your bickering.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    This thread still going? Lol.

Just thought I'd add some useful info. As far as the width goes I think that with exception of the brake booster, the 460/429 fits better than a 351 in a fox mustang. Spark plug access is better, as is getting a wrench on the header bolts. Length isn't that big of a deal, height can be tricky depending on what intake you use, but you can run into that with a 351w swap too.

Okay, you'll can resume your bickering.

Jess
    I've got all kinds of options here. I think I'm going to go pick up a notch here in a week or so. No motor or tranny. Attachment 102859 A big block would be nice, sitting down in this jewel.

I've got all kinds of options here. I think I'm going to go pick up a notch here in a week or so. No motor or tranny. Attachment 102859 A big block would be nice, sitting down in this jewel.
    I look forward to seeing that happen!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I look forward to seeing that happen!
    I don't know, man. I've got so many projects going I've got parts coming out of my ears lol! Not enough time in the day or money in the bank! But the good news is I'll never run out of stuff to wrench on.

Looks to be an '85-'86 with an '83 or '84 nose swapped on. And are those Capri taillights I see back there?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Looks to be an '85-'86 with an '83 or '84 nose swapped on. And are those Capri taillights I see back there?
    Good eye! Yes, he said this is an 86. I'm not really sure about the tail lights. This is the only pic I took that day. I'm also not sure why or at what point the nose was swapped.

Back to the subject of what to do with that 429 engine.

If it were mine, I'd pull it and put it in the corner and save it for my next 70/80s truck or Bronco project. They are a near bolt in swap for the 351m/400 and don't need to be heavily modded to make a really fine truck motor. Just clean her up, put new rings, bearing, gaskets, do a valve job, put a good RV cam in it, aluminum intake and a set of headers and you have a potent truck motor for not much dough. If I had that motor it would spur me to start combing craigslist for the right project truck!

Fitting a 460 into a Fox has been done many times and fortunately there are plenty of parts and kits out there to make the swap an ALMOST bolt in. There will be plenty of challenges and issues along the way. I have not personally done the 460 swap, but I did a 351W many years ago and can say that even with swap headers, oil pan, etc. there are still issues that come up when doing this type of stuff.

Having a 460 in a Fox is cool and unique and if that is your desire then go for it. You can make a ton of power and gobs of torque with one so make sure your chassis, rear end, and transmission are up to the task. You will be nose heavy, but aluminum heads and intake can help lower the overall weight if you budget allows.

Best of luck and if you do decide to make the swap, please start a build thread as I am sure lots of folks will enjoy following along.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Subscribing .... always wanted a BBF in my Notch. Super cool

Sweet Ride

FatAttack, a 460 raced back in 1986.

This is the way a Fox Notch should be run!

Getting into this thread like a dog knows how , dug "under" fence .
    Was talking to Xctasy about EFIing an FE off site.
    The fact was brought up here about how practical this would be.
    If practical was the case we wouldn't be driving 30+ year old cars,
    we'd be talking about boring 4 cylinders side mounted in jelly beaners.
    Had an F150 4x4 with a worked over 360 decades ago, then enjoyed my 88 LSC 5.0 ride for 6 years.
    Then picked up the 65 Galixie in 2000 after wiring a plating machine for my brother.
    First time I booted that boat a dormant smile woke up. "Now I remember what a big block feels like!"
    So ten or less per gallon, 4 adults in a fox convertible driving to Florida from Connecticut? Whats less practical?
    Besides, driving the 84 Capri with the feedback carb reminds me of my desire to stay away from carbs.
    Or is that what my Doctor wants me to do?
    Xctasy mentioned heavy "World beaters", the Le Mans winning GT40's 427 was done in aluminum.
    Stick around I may need your steel ruler DHLed to me after this.

My wife has wanted a mid 80s Corvette some time before she stops driving.
    My thought for the ultimate Bowtie tweeker would be dropping a 5.0 in there.
    Last edited by Ray Dog; 01-02-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

For now, I've decided to pass on it. The guy isn't actively trying to sell it, so I may change my mind. I just have too many projects at the moment and need to focus on getting the pace car and 88gt back on the road and ready for some cruises cruise-ins this Spring.

Get the car and find yourself an old truck body.

Lift off the car body.

Drop on the truck body.

Simplest way to make a nice driving hot rod truck.

This is my uncle's truck he built the same way 30 years ago using a big T-Bird. It has the 429 "ThunderJet" engine and is pretty quick. He calls it ThunderTruck.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123