Close

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

My 88 is about to come out for summer. I've given her a drive when I can over the winter, once a week if I can and everything worked fine.

To answer TheWizard's question.....Raggtop and or 303 is the stuff. Museums and high end car collectors use it.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Power Member

Has anyone tried this cleaner?
    Image from http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...7e48273.v1.jpg.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
    I haven't tried that one.....or any yet due to a destroyed top but I have a buddy that swears by using Meguiers products on his vinyl top. He says that he uses Meguiers #39 heavy duty vinyl cleaner and #40 vinyl and rubber conditioner. He has had his top on for 4 years now and it still looks like new. Might be what I do when I replace my top as I have always had good results from Meguier products also.

Attachment 82433
    Attachment 82434
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I haven't tried that one.....or any yet due to a destroyed top but I have a buddy that swears by using Meguiers products on his vinyl top. He says that he uses Meguiers #39 heavy duty vinyl cleaner and #40 vinyl and rubber conditioner. He has had his top on for 4 years now and it still looks like new. Might be what I do when I replace my top as I have always had good results from Meguier products also.

Attachment 82433
    Attachment 82434
    I trust Meguier's products as well. I use their wax's and car wash.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

I have used that and it cleaned my top really well. And my top is really beat too. Then I use some Mequires on it to keep te luster. It actually looks pretty good for how sad a shape it is actually in.

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

FEP Power Member

Went ahead and tried the 'Top End' convertible top cleaner & protectant. It did leave the top clean.. but dull. I wasn't really impressed with the overall end result.
    I then applied a thin coat of Mothers VLR with a microfiber cloth, and that gave it a nice deep black low sheen finish.

It basically strips off everything in its way, including the wax finish on the paint as it runs down. Probably a good cleaner for a really dirty top, otherwise stick to soap and water, and maybe a soft bristle brush.
    My .02 cents.
    Last edited by TheWizard; 03-27-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Both Ragg Top and Blue Star make excellent convertible top cleaners. 303 Aerospace Cleaner and Protectant is also very good.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Both Ragg Top and Blue Star make excellent convertible top cleaners. 303 Aerospace Cleaner and Protectant is also very good.
    Have you tried them on your vert?

Have you tried them on your vert?
    I haven't used Ragg Top, but I've heard good reviews on it. I've used the Blue Star cleaner and I've used the 303 Protectant, but not the cleaner. I have a white top, so the challenge has been finding a product that keeps it clean, and then a product to protect after cleaning.
    Bryan

I've had my 85 vert apart for a couple of years and I don't remember how the well liner installs as far as the rods go. I already have the channels clipped to the top frame pieces and know hot to attach to the back seat frame, but I am clueless on where the rods hook up.
    Thanks in advance.

I got it figured out. I had swapped the entire top with a 91 and my 86 liner didn't have the bows or the extra loop of material. I simply removed them and all is well..

Nice! Sorry wanted to look it up in my convertible top manual but didn't get the chance. Glad you got it figured out.

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Anyone running. Styling bar in their 4i vert? The only ones that I can find available are for 90-93. But it says they can be installed in earlier cars with using 90-93 rear interior panels or modifying the earlier rear interior panels.

--Bill

I was wondering the same thing as I have pondered either putting one in mine or running a roll bar so I can run open track days........one of these years.
    Brock

Here's a link to a style bar for Fox Mustang convertibles:

https://www.abcexclusive.com/stb_main.htm

Just remember that a style bar is not the same as a roll bar.
    Bryan

I've never liked those styling bars, they just look too weird like a last minute idea that was just tacked on.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    I've never liked those styling bars, they just look too weird like a last minute idea that was just tacked on.
    I agree. The shape doesn't mimic or accentuate the lines of a Fox convertible. It's just extra money, weight and sits there. I imagine the shape of it must make getting into the back seat pretty difficult.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Here's a link to a style bar for Fox Mustang convertibles:

https://www.abcexclusive.com/stb_main.htm

Just remember that a style bar is not the same as a roll bar.
    Yeah I had found that one also was curious if anyone was running it and how it fit with the original interior panels. And I realize that it is strictly a cosmetic upgrade. I really don't want to put a roll bar in the car as my grandson may want to ride with us sometime and a roll bar makes riding in the back seat very uncomfortable. Just doing it for looks on my car. Thanks!

--Bill

I was wondering the same thing as I have pondered either putting one in mine or running a roll bar so I can run open track days........one of these years.
    You are going to want a roll bar then. Not a styling bar as it is strictly for looks and will not strengthen the body or help in a crash at all.

--Bill

I like the look. Someone posted this on our FB page. I like it.

--Bill

Nice vert.... but to me, with having the halo headrest, it's just too much.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

so since this is a convertible thread. let me ask if anybody has advice on replacing the convertible weather stripping?

I just bought the 5 piece kit from LMR and I know you get only one chance to do it right so I want to learn as much as possible about this project before I tackle it.

Also, I had my top replaced last summer. it was super tight to close last year and its still pretty tight even after a whole season of staying closed and stretched. I am wondering if I should ask the installer to try to stretch it some more. Is it even possible for them to get some of the tension out? As it is, it takes two people to close the top. I can do it myself, but no one else can.

The installer told me last year that the hooks should have spring tension on them to keep them reaching for the slot until you close the latch. mine hang and have no tension at all. I can buy new latches for $144 each on LMR, but I don't see any listing for replacement spring for the hook tension. Is this replaceable and is there even supposed to be a spring to tension the hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    You are going to want a roll bar then. Not a styling bar as it is strictly for looks and will not strengthen the body or help in a crash at all.

I am fully aware of the differences and ultimately if I do build the car to run track days then it will have a proper roll bar in it but if I decide to never put the car on the track then I had pondered adding the style bar.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    so since this is a convertible thread. let me ask if anybody has advice on replacing the convertible weather stripping?

I just bought the 5 piece kit from LMR and I know you get only one chance to do it right so I want to learn as much as possible about this project before I tackle it.

Also, I had my top replaced last summer. it was super tight to close last year and its still pretty tight even after a whole season of staying closed and stretched. I am wondering if I should ask the installer to try to stretch it some more. Is it even possible for them to get some of the tension out? As it is, it takes two people to close the top. I can do it myself, but no one else can.

The installer told me last year that the hooks should have spring tension on them to keep them reaching for the slot until you close the latch. mine hang and have no tension at all. I can buy new latches for $144 each on LMR, but I don't see any listing for replacement spring for the hook tension. Is this replaceable and is there even supposed to be a spring to tension the hooks?
    I'm not sure on the tightness of the top but I think it will loosen up the more you raise and lower the top. As for the latches, our cars do not have a spring in the hook assembly so they just hang when you have it unlatched, I would not buy new ones unless yours are broke as they are going to work the same as the ones you currently have.
    Brock

I'm not sure on the tightness of the top but I think it will loosen up the more you raise and lower the top. As for the latches, our cars do not have a spring in the hook assembly so they just hang when you have it unlatched, I would not buy new ones unless yours are broke as they are going to work the same as the ones you currently have.
    I agree on the latches and on the top stretching. Best thing you can do is have the car sit in the hot sun with the top up. That will help greatly. And on the seal installations I believe American Muscle as video of installing them on YouTube. LMR may also. It's worth a watch.

84stangSVT-- just wanted to make sure you knew what was up with the styling bar as your post said you wanted to take the car for track days. No offense meant.

--Bill

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast