Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1983 Mustang GT Convertible

Looking for approx. what seasoned fox buyers would pay for my car. Don't want to sell it, but might need too if I can't come up with some other money as I'm getting married in June and am going back to school in sept.

Pics/Info thread is here
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...GT-Convertible
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I think with that much work done structurally , you need to show good pics of the work that was done.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

I would say $3,500 is a good place to start. What I see that would concern me if I was a buyer is it looks like someone swapped the serpentine belt system out for the older style V groove pulleys, the top appears to be showing some wear (could just be the poor lighting in the pictures) and the AC is missing if it was an AC car. There appears to be a bracket for it at least.
    Also you reference that the engine has its original blue paint. These engines were never painted any color from the factory, they were bare iron. Unless you mean the engine is out of something else (which would explain the V groove pulleys) and in that car the engines were painted blue.
    I agree that you should show some pictures of the repaired areas to rest anyone's fears if you do go to sell it. And I would be sure to prove out with the VIN, door and buck tags that it is indeed a GT from the factory. The blue engine and different pulley setup could lead someone to suspect it was a conversion from a lesser model. Also that thermostat housing was used before 1982 when the HO came out, which suggests it is not from this year car.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I would say $3,500 is a good place to start. What I see that would concern me if I was a buyer is it looks like someone swapped the serpentine belt system out for the older style V groove pulleys, the top appears to be showing some wear (could just be the poor lighting in the pictures) and the AC is missing if it was an AC car. There appears to be a bracket for it at least.
    Also you reference that the engine has its original blue paint. These engines were never painted any color from the factory, they were bare iron. Unless you mean the engine is out of something else (which would explain the V groove pulleys) and in that car the engines were painted blue.
    I agree that you should show some pictures of the repaired areas to rest anyone's fears if you do go to sell it. And I would be sure to prove out with the VIN, door and buck tags that it is indeed a GT from the factory. The blue engine and different pulley setup could lead someone to suspect it was a conversion from a lesser model. Also that thermostat housing was used before 1982 when the HO came out, which suggests it is not from this year car.
    I gotta agree with homer on all points and I have one sitting in my garage so I think I am the 83 guru. Good points homer!
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

There is no A/C, never was. The top is perfect, I'm not sure what you mean by wear as it doesn't have any rips or tears or even fading, but I appreciate the feedback none the less. I also have several examples of parts being ford blue coming stock, most of my parts on the engine are ford blue actually, and somehow I can't see someone going through the trouble to paint the transmission. I have the deluxe and elite marti report, and It's also registered with the 83 GT Convertible Registry. It is definitely, 1000% a GT.

Although I must say 3500 is surprising considering the numerous threads discussing how rare these things are, but as has been said many times rare doesn't mean desirable. Hell if you can find another 17,000 KM Car from 83 for 3500, you go buy it lol.
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

BTD, There are many, many signs that that is not an original 17,000km car.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

I'm not refuting that it doesn't have every single original part on it, but as I said if the previous poster is really of the belief they could get an 83 Gt vert for 3500 bucks, I stick by my statement that they should buy it. Not in a hurry to sell it.

Fact of the matter is as many things as you could point out are missing, I could point to be complete as for it being 17,000 KM. Really it's for me and the next person to debate. Things like interior wear, pedal wear, steering wheel wheel, label wear, carpet luster, it's all there. Along with perfect undercoating.

But yah it doesn't have the original air cleaner, or TRx wheels. Really all of that is on the buyer to decide, I can't say with 100% certainty that it's original 17,000, just that it has 17,000 KM's on the odo.

All I know is that it shines like nobodys business and goes like stink.
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

here is my original motor, its not really painted it has grey overspray, oil pan is grey. not blue.
    only non-oem are plug wires and chrome lid, i have original, car has 140K on the odometer, 40K on motor, 5,000 on rebuild.
    I have over $16k in this car and dont expect to get but half of that if I sold it...its not for sale

Last edited by 83GTRAG; 02-21-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

@83 There is a lot of things in Ford Blue on my engine, all of the brackets are blue, the tranny and housing is blue, hell most of it is blue. However there is absolutely no overspray on any of it (You could tell cause the rest is black) The bolts etc are all original as well, so you get what you get I guess.

I had the same thing on my 81, people saying oh no it never came in blue, and then yup sure enough they sure did.
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

I saw your car on ebay. GLWS

Figured I'd see what the world thinks, I have a good reserve on it , so it's more of a test bed for interest.
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

i hope that car sells for $15K. GLWS...I will be watching...one of 8 is pretty darn rare...
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

One of 24.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Haha honestly at this point fox, you've changed your answer so many times on the subject I just don't consider you a reliable source.
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

Dude, I wouldn't keep talking junk. Since the first time you've posted here you've had bad info.

You've already been told by the guy who now has all of the 1983 convertible data that there were 24, not eight, 1983 GT convertibles sold in Canada.

I own a 83 GT conv #880 of 1001 made with documented original 54,000 miles. The engine is not painted with any Ford blue. The engine block was unpainted hence it looks a grey providing its not all rusty.Attachment 110440Name:  ENGINE.JPG.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  69.1 KBName:  DSC00009.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  125.4 KB
    Owner of #880 of 1001 factory stock show condition 83 GT convertible.

There were not 1001 made. There were 993 made.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by tom83gtconv View Post
    I own a 83 GT conv #880 of 1001 made with documented original 54,000 miles. The engine is not painted with any Ford blue. The engine block was unpainted hence it looks a grey providing its not all rusty.Attachment 110440Name:  ENGINE.JPG.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  69.1 KBName:  DSC00009.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  125.4 KB

Congrats ? They are nice cars. Maybe you should start your own thread ? As this one was about my car.

I also love how I keep seeing the whole "well I've never seen that before so it must not exist" attitude. Yes, my engine is blue. As were many other ford engines - show me something official from ford showing that They did not ever come in blue under any circumstances in 1983, and you'd have a leg to stand on - otherwise it's just your personal opinion. People told me that 81' hatches didn't come with what mine did (Including a turbo light without a turbo) but sure enough, it has one.

So by all means, prove me wrong. I love being educated, and have enjoyed my efforts in finding out more about these cars. So show me the documentation, from Ford - saying that they did not, could not , would not ever come in blue. Show me it, because I sure as **** couldn't find it, and I guarantee I've looked harder than you have on the subject.

I have an Elite Marti report coming where I specified the following
    Of the 1983 Ford Mustang 2 Door Convertible
    How Many Came with the GT package
    And of those, how many came with the metric speedometer

This will settle the production question of these cars once and for all.
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

This is directly out of the MCA Judges Rulebook for FOX Body Mustangs:
    Engine Color: Must be correct. (Note: Some 82’s will be Ford Corporate Blue)
    ‘79-‘82 5.0L Ford Corporate Blue.
    ‘82-‘92 natural with gray oil pan.
    ‘93 natural with black oil pan.
    John
    2017 Convertible 6-Speed
    1984 GT 5.0 T-Roof
    1965 Coupe 4-Speed
    1964-1/2 Coupe C4-Auto
    MCA National Certified Judge 1964-1966 and 1979-1993

Which means...because a 1981 engine was originally painted 'Ford Corporate Blue' then a 1983 engine must have also been the same...is an incorrect assumption.

As you can see the engine accessory brackets were not blue from the factory either.

And a transmission painted blue also? NO.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

The car has enough latent value as a 'vert to ensure its net worth is significant. Every Fox Convertible does, because they aren't typical, and your version, even Kevin Marti doesn't know by elimination how many there were. Which is why there is missing data on the Marti report. So right off, its value is significant.

I dont doubt any of your testimonies BTD. There are however, Dilligent Duddlers Everywhere before you get your car. My JDM Mustang is 100% proof of how far the process can go. Wrong VIN code (for a 2 door coupe!) but frame horn codes , engine, body, 100% correct.

Somebody had a go at my old 81 car between its birth in San Jose in 1981, its so journ to Japan, and its 1990 importation into New Zealand. Who did what when and why, I don't know....

Not untypical of someone trying to make a fast buck, and escape the Shaken (Jap road worthy inspection). One things for sure, it came to NZ that way.

Just check the engine VIN codes on the back. No E words with Fords. Ever, Every, Except....just Exceptions!

I've had the same discussions before with JMB from Ford six...what I have seen typically is total resprays of engines, that shouldn't EVER be the color they are. Every big bell 3.3 I've seen except Linc200 on FSP and blake4591's B code 82 Cougar Station Wagon here on FEP have been typically RE-painted, and I just dunno why. Wrong block colors, wrong rocker cover colors, wrong decels on the rocker, showing that some one has really been very busy.

Here is the 1983 low mount mount X code six cylinder block in a C5 1984 3.8 Mustang Hatch.

Engine, Before Turbo, had the typical Grey rocker, grey sump, no painted block. That was 100% standard.

I've seen high mount X codes with blue rockers and sumps in 1983. But I can't be certain.

Same with 1982 255/4.2's. Blue typically.

As simple proof is the photo of the engine on page 18 of the dealer brochure does not show any Ford corporate blue.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    Here is the 1983 low mount mount X code six cylinder block in a C5 1984 3.8 Mustang Hatch.

I can tell that that engine, or least the valve cover, is from the 1982 model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

My Marti report says that 993 GT's were made.

so here is an example of my 84 with a black motor, no over spray anywhere, but I know why..take a close look

this motor was removed from the car and painted the way I wanted it, not a drop of overspray..

my marti report says 993 too i once was one of the 1001 people but i have since changed..
    Last edited by 83GTRAG; 03-22-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast