Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Are you asking a serious question on an already terribly derailed thread? Or joining in the fun?
    It sounds like you are asking about the dogbone- it's just a vibration damper for the rear diff housing. Is that what you mean?
    Last edited by danco86; 04-15-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

Blog Entries

I believe he is referring to this part-
    Name:  20170415_224430.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  59.0 KB
    I happen to have this one available in the NOS , unopened box. Sorry for posting it outside of the classifieds, Foxchassis.
    Name:  20170415_224455.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  69.6 KB
    Last edited by brianj; 04-15-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    I believe he is referring to this part-
    Name:  20170415_224430.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  59.0 KB
    I happen to have this one available in the NOS , unopened box. Sorry for posting it outside of the classifieds, Foxchassis.
    Name:  20170415_224455.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  69.6 KB
    Those pics are Craigslist Gold! LOL!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Lol!
    I was trying to find a picture of it.
    I'm glad you have such a detailed photo library of these rare parts!
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Guys, some respect! The original poster was looking for some detailed information, not Blur'd photo's you'd find on the back of a milk carton....

No respect, Four eyed guys...

yes! it was a serious question in a derailed thread. this is the first time I have seen one under a car, mainly a truck guy and I just picked up this Mustang for my son.
    just going through all the safety stuff and saw it doing the exhaust. But thank you for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    Are you asking a serious question on an already terribly derailed thread? Or joining in the fun?
    It sounds like you are asking about the dogbone- it's just a vibration damper for the rear diff housing. Is that what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by lounge lizard View Post
    hey guys!

so what is the big steel block under the rear housing below where the pinion snubber sits above the rear housing? does it have to be there?

Yes. Its a Dogbone. If your dog is man enough for the job, get 'em to remove it for ya. If you want to keep on after enunciating the "sick 'em" order, you'll have to put a mirror on the floorpan by the pinion snubber, turn the car upside down, and hopefully, your dog will release it like in the Dog from Aesop's Fables.

Gets em every time.

Quote Originally Posted by lounge lizard View Post
    yes! it was a serious question in a derailed thread. this is the first time I have seen one under a car, mainly a truck guy and I just picked up this Mustang for my son.
    just going through all the safety stuff and saw it doing the exhaust. But thank you for the answer.
    No worries. Some people remove it and don't have issues. But I figure it's there for a reason, and anything that helps with the nvh in these cars is a bonus.
    Anyways, this site is full of knowledgeable members. Don't let this thread mislead you.
    Everyone is just having fun.
    I was thinking "well we just lost a new guy. He thinks we're all whacked"
    Welcome back.
    Haha
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Welcome!

all joking and goofing around aside - I was 17 when I got my 1986 Mustang and my son was 17 when he got his. Between the two of us and two cars we've logged nearly 400K miles behind the wheel in one in all types of weather.

These cars are notorious for being light in the rear and having a snap steer condition causing unpredictable handling. It's both treatable and curable depending upon your budget. Start with the important things.

Based upon what my dad did to help with mine and what I did to help when it was my son behind the wheel I have a few recommendations for any four eyed Mustang for your son:

New tires all the way around! Especially rear due to hydroplane concerns. Open thread that channels water out like Cooper Cobra GT. My son is 18. We put a little more meat on the ground in the rear than the front. Stock on many was 225/60/15 which is fine up front. Go 235/60/15 in the rear. We prefer 215/65/15 up front with these because they are the exact same height as a 235 and slightly narrower and they push at about the same time that the rear oversteers.

New shocks and struts and quad shocks! You would not believe how much this improves safety handling!

Full length subframe connectors could very well save a life. Buy good ones and weld them in. There was a recent crash of an 85 T-top car in Omaha NE and the pictures of the aftermath from this 90MPH crash clearly show why it's SO important.

1993 Cobra rear springs (identical to 1987-1993 4 cyl LX rear springs) vastly improve stock handling by reducing snap steer. A panhard bar will cure snapsteer but if you can't afford one smaller diameter rims with less aggressively strong sidewalk tires and good tread do make a fox way more forgiving. As does 140 lbs of sand and a full gas tank at the back of the car.

If driving winters in snowy areas get 215/65/15 studded mud and snow tires. Cooper makes a great studdabke tire

Upgrade the brakes. At minimum go to performance friction pads as this will bring the car up to this century on stopping power. There are tons of upgrades available and lots you can do but better pads will make a night and day difference.

A strut tower brace will give more predictable handling and avoid a bad ride from a broken strut tower by reducing its stress. They don't break often but I'm speaking from experience - it's a very bad ride if it happens.

Pull out some base timing before you ever let them ride in it or drive it. 10 degrees before tdc with the advance disconnected is factory and around 200 HP and 300 lbs torque - way too much for an inexperience driver. Specify 87 octane or less only and it at 8 to dial out around 15% of the stock power at first.

Those who have been around foxes for a long time know that for performance most guys remove the intake silencer on EFI cars then add a K&N filter then crank up the timing to around 13.5-15 base and run premium. This adds at least 20-25 HP and gobs of torque to a car that's too quick in the first place for a kid who's just learning. Something to do later on after they have a firm grasp of how much of a stealth weapon they are actually piloting.

Enjoy working on it with your kid. I certainly have enjoyed helping my son with his.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-17-2017 at 03:06 AM.

thank you Erratic50,

I came from a site that used to be around years ago called "Ford Truck World" had chapters in every state and a few out of country.

we acted the same way so I think I will blend right in over time.
    Need pictures of this ride I know. working on it.

Just to show that though this site may have jokesters (and I appreciate it) it is also extremely helpful in all regards.

I do feel snubbed. The attempt to bring this post away from actual uselessness has failed.

I thought that

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...pspvypwgwn.jpg

was Darth Vaders hat....

Oh - sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Lol. I can delete my useful posts.

Its okay E....it natural, everywhere you go, order and information instead of chaos and miss-info!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Oh - sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Lol. I can delete my useful posts.
    You sir should be banished from derailing a derailed thread. Your helpful Midwestern ways have almost killed this thread. For shame amigo......
    Brock

Oh great - now I'm a hijacker. Lol.

But ..... wait..... who RAILED the thread to begin with before I DERAILED it- that's all I want to know.....

For those of you who know the joke that this is the punch line for, listen here you stupid horse -- I said possey!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    But ..... wait..... who RAILED the thread to begin with before I DERAILED it- that's all I want to know.....
    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Good question! That last Coors Light got me like that guy ^^^
    Brock

Yep - that must be him! The dirty old dog. He gets no respect, no respect at all.

A cute girl told him to come over to her place Friday evening, there'd be nobody home. He went there Friday evening, there was nobody home.

hi... glad everyone can smile and not take everything so seriously.. but if you do need some help I'm over in Columbia ..roy

Quote Originally Posted by tiretread View Post
    Just to show that though this site may have jokesters (and I appreciate it) it is also extremely helpful in all regards.

and yes sometimes I post just to see if Ceiling Cat is watching me

Blog Entries

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  8.3 KB
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  8.3 KB
    hmm maybe that's crown molding and a ceiling joist..... I'm liking the thought of ceiling cat.... Eye in the sky.

I do like your air dam Brian.

Blog Entries

Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast